Sharp increase in Covid-19 cases in Thai provinces 'cause for concern'

Jonathan Fairfield

30 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

The age and mortality numbers tossed about are not reliable.

Why? Because we are seeing  European, US, Canadian, UK specific results. Some regions are worse than others. Some regions have more young with complications. That magical older than 70 at risk age  was  pushed to 65 then 60 and now it is 45 in some regions.

There is a lot still developing. Some will do much better than others. And alas, others will do much worse.

I think that eventually those mortality rates do even out and come to a more reliable average, I believe that what we are hearing now, that rate will not be anywhere near the 20% that seemed to be suggested. 

The age as such is of course not the only deciding factor, some people that are in their early 40s are also a risk, think off HIV patients, and people with lung problems. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SkyFax said:

Well given those MoChit photos I hope there are not any muay Thai boxing enthusiasts in the crowd.

Many redundant lady bar , heading back home .

The search for farlang can take her soon , now important more .

You have been warned ....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

When I check on the location map for confirmed cases around us in north east Issan, there are 2 not very far away. Neither are a cause of concern as they are over 150kms away and are both isolated.

But what is notable is that they are both connected with the Thai boxing tournament. I think they must be really regretting that they allowed that event to go ahead.

Yep , heard about it .

Thai man in Kut chap issan,  recently returned from bangkok , died today from the virus ..

Thais are living in fear of death , from the virus . 

What about Buddhist religion , move on too a better life , etc..

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, wasabi said:

No amount of economic damage from a 2 week lockdown is going to be as bad as that. No one including me wants to be forced inside but I think it has come to that.

So experts are saying those who have the virus will have gotten sick then better (or not) after 2 weeks. And then are not infectious anymore?

If so, yes the only way to sto the CV.  

6 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

So experts are saying those who have the virus will have gotten sick then better (or not) after 2 weeks. And then are not infectious anymore?

Now that you mention it. It'd likely need to be an entire month. There is up to a 2 week window period and then once you've gotten the virus, assuming you don't need to be hospitalized, it takes a few weeks to recover. I'm of course no epidemiologist I'm just saying these half measures and polite requests that are meant either for show or to keep people calm are going to only prolong and deepen the pain. If the virus doesn't kill everyone the economic consequences will. Thailand cannot survive a multi month gradual 'curve flattening' exercise like countries with more extensive social welfare can.

Edited by wasabi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, elliss said:
hour ago, Moonlover said:

When I check on the location map for confirmed cases around us in north east Issan, there are 2 not very far away. Neither are a cause of concern as they are over 150kms away and are both isolated.

But what is notable is that they are both connected with the Thai boxing tournament. I think they must be really regretting that they allowed that event to go ahead.

29 minutes ago, elliss said:

Yep , heard about it .

Thai man in Kut chap issan,  recently returned from bangkok , died today from the virus ..

Thais are living in fear of death , from the virus . 

What about Buddhist religion , move on too a better life , etc..

That'll be a 3rd case then. That's over near Udon Thani, slightly off my radar. Hadn't heard about the death.

Sounds like it's time to start battening down the hatches!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idiot farang said:

Call me cynical, but, from my experience, if they made money from the event and didn't get the virus themselves, they're fine with the fact that it went forward. 

When I say 'they', I'm referring to the authorities rather than the event organizers. They've got their brass, so they don't care two hoots.

12 minutes ago, faraday said:

Don't worry, POTY '19 will be along soon, to tell us how strong Thai people are, compared to falang.

*Laugh emoji*

It's just those northeners and bangkokians, people in Ranong have good immune system. Sure. And if they don't we can always drill down to moobaan level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Well the sickness can sometimes last for more like a month. But yes a person that has HAD it and recovers will then have antibodies, no longer be infectious, and will likely have significant immunity at least for the near term future.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Here in the village there are 2 big parties going on near us right now. Loads of tables at both and the usual communal plates of food in the middle of each.

We declined to attend.

My daily walk usually takes me to Mahan coffee on the navy training site near Sattahip. I was surprised (should I have been?) to see a large wedding taking place today in the Officer's Club. I counted 71 cars and 2 minibuses; that is a lot of people in one place at one time in the current climate.

In the U.K. the Church of England has limited weddings to 5 people - bride and groom, two witnesses and the vicar.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

My daily walk usually takes me to Mahan coffee on the navy training site near Sattahip. I was surprised (should I have been?) to see a large wedding taking place today in the Officer's Club. I counted 71 cars and 2 minibuses; that is a lot of people in one place at one time in the current climate.

In the U.K. the Church of England has limited weddings to 5 people - bride and groom, two witnesses and the vicar.

yea but less than a week ago the pubs were full of drunks so what's your point..

This thread has not helped my positive, hopeful outlook at all.

Seems the culling will continue until the elderly and weak have all expired.

Buddhist funeral ceremonies and daily cremations at your local temple soon.

Peace 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

This thread has not helped my positive, hopeful outlook at all.

Seems the culling will continue until the elderly and weak have all expired.

Buddhist funeral ceremonies and daily cremations at your local temple soon.

Yup. And to continue along those lines, all the burning ain't going to help the PM2.5 either. You're welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1