Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

I was having a long chat with my Sister in the UK last night and you said there are so many arrogant people there trying to defeat any rules given to help stop the spread of this deadly virus.

She says there are queues of people buying bicycles for the first time in 40 years because the government said you are allowed to exercise if you use a bicycle.

Looking at all the crowds at parks it's crazy.

I did see a picture painted on a trailer saying 'Go home idiots".

Hi everyone, I am here on an airchina flighr from uk and stopped off in China and changed again to come here I am due back via China again on the 1 st April ( week today) does anyone know if airchina flights being resumed then or do I need to get an extra 30 days visa just in case until airchina resume many thanks everyone stay safe 

Took this from another topic:

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/03/24/thai-government-says-no-discussion-for-a-curfew-at-this-point/

If the news I have read are somewhat correct my interpretation is that the measures will be gradual if needed and not extremely drastic from the beginning. Also getting as many foreigners as possible out of the country should be in their best interests now so closing the airport or making it complicated otherwise wouldn't seem probable. Still, recommended to have a back-up plan, and a back-up plan for a back-up plan.

Edited by rabang
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The emergency decree will mean the prime minister will have the executive power to declare further measures to contain the virus, including giving extra authority to officials and allowing the setting up of checkpoints to reduce people movements, Prayuth said.

As usual after the masses have already traveled home!!!!

18 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

fine where i love, went to see them yesterday and was told that if conditions are still like this when i'm due to leave after my 90 stay they will give me 30 more days.

If the same as Phuket you'll be charged 500 baht per day... not so good!

41 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

how effective are these lockdowns?

Italy started their lockdown over 2 weeks ago and it's made no difference

i'm more inclined to believe the situation relates more to this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8148529/Coronavirus-infected-half-British-population-say-Oxford-University-experts.html

a : it does make a big difference ... but it makes a change after 10 to 14 days , not sooner . So rules implied now , do nothing in numbers coming in next week .

b : all depends on how good the rules are being followed . As everywhere , there are people who do break the rules . 

In the next few days , i expect to see the difference rising in nrs of the countries who implied rules sooner to next door countries which didn't imply those strict rules .

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday (March 24) declared a state of emergency to contain the escalating Covid-19 pandemic.

Hahahaha!  I thought he had already declared a state of emergency when he orchestrated the coup - maybe it is official now that we have been in a state of emergency all this time.

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Given what has happened around the world, I suppose it was only a matter of time before serious restrictions were imposed. The big question of course will be in the details, as to what and how often are you allowed out to purchase food and other essentials. At the end of the day, if it can see the back of the virus here, we have to go along with it.

Wouldn't want to have my visa expiring in the next thirty days though as immigration don't seem to be overly kindly with overstays, regardless of how they happen.

Further information to come later.... When ??

2 hours ago, Antonymous said:

The least we can say for sure is that now that more and more governments around the world are taking control, personal freedoms will become more restricted. We can speculate that once this becomes commonplace and accepted that some governments will be reluctant to give up that authoritarian power completely once the virus is contained and eradicated. The world is about to change in that regard.

As for a financial reset, that is inevitable. The world economy cannot survive the current conditions and emerge unscathed. Some economies will not survive at all. Just not sure if this was planned all along as you say, but can guarantee that planning is in the works now.

Just read that Germany is moving to declare a state of emergency for one year. Such moves, if true, point to the rise of authoritarianism and you can bet that there is a financial agenda behind that.

Interesting article - https://www.rt.com/op-ed/483758-coronavirus-constitutional-rights-government/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

Gonna be a real cock up with Prayut taking charge ! He is as useless as his poofy

fashion mask !

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it. Power is what all messiahs really seek: not the chance to serve. This is true even of the pious brethren who carry the gospel to foreign parts.”

H.L. Mencken, Minority Report

• Like 2

Are we looking at potential road blocks into other Provinces? Has that ever happened before such as during the coups? Has Thailand ever closed and quarantined an entire province before? Or ever locked down individual provinces under martial law? Is that something that has ever occurred before? As far as actual road blocks into other provinces, because we already know they already have the power to set up all the “checkpoints” they want the checkpoints have been there everyday day for years they’re always there. But what about actual road blocks? What about the potential for shutting down provinces? What about the potential for martial law? Are we gonna start seeing tanks and troops in the streets? 

I'm mostly asking about road blocks and locking down cities and provinces are we looking at that? For example on April 1st will we be able to simply drive into the next Province over? Is there’s a risk of getting stuck somewhere away from home if you’re visiting someone in another province? Right now I’m thinking probably yes but it’s really hard to say because it doesn’t even look like the government even knows everything yet. For example they finally decided to postpone the Olympics for a year. A WHOLE YEAR THE OLYMPICS that’s historic and hasn’t happened since WWII or was it WWI I’d have to look it up. 

Has anyone who’s been living here more than 6 years know if they ever locked down individual cities and provinces during the COUP? We just missed the last 2014 COUP when we started living here in 2014, but we saw the aftermath of the 2009 COUP or 2010 I don’t recall at the moment. 

Thanks Jim 

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

If flights closed, do you have a plan B??

The airport will not be closed tomorrow. No one should even be suggesting that. If you have a booked flight just check with your airline/ on line it’s very easy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimLuce said:

Are we looking at potential road blocks into other Provinces? Has that ever happened before such as during the coups? Has Thailand ever closed and quarantined an entire province before? Or ever locked down individual provinces under martial law? Is that something that has ever occurred before? As far as actual road blocks into other provinces, because we already know they already have the power to set up all the “checkpoints” they want the checkpoints have been there everyday day for years they’re always there. But what about actual road blocks? What about the potential for shutting down provinces? What about the potential for martial law? Are we gonna start seeing tanks and troops in the streets? 

I'm mostly asking about road blocks and locking down cities and provinces are we looking at that? For example on April 1st will we be able to simply drive into the next Province over? Is there’s a risk of getting stuck somewhere away from home if you’re visiting someone in another province? Right now I’m thinking probably yes but it’s really hard to say because it doesn’t even look like the government even knows everything yet. For example they finally decided to postpone the Olympics for a year. A WHOLE YEAR THE OLYMPICS that’s historic and hasn’t happened since WWII or was it WWI I’d have to look it up. 

Has anyone who’s been living here more than 6 years know if they ever locked down individual cities and provinces during the COUP? We just missed the last 2014 COUP when we started living here in 2014, but we saw the aftermath of the 2009 COUP or 2010 I don’t recall at the moment. 

Thanks Jim 

I can't remember province blocking happening before, even in 1992.

3 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

What are you thinking?  #1 rule now is stay at home - social distancing

If you need to "visit someone" do it on Line or Messenger

Big C, several other grocers can deliver food to you home

No reason to go driving your car to another province right now.

Stay home, stay clean, stay strong.

Peace

There are great deals at hotels. I'd rather be on a beach than in the city.

• Thanks 1