Big Brother arrives in the UK. Isn't it great?

News in today’s Daily Telegraph that:

“The NHS is preparing to release an app that alerts users if they come into contact with someone who has tested positive for coronavirus. The opt-in programme is likely to be introduced as restrictions on movement are lifted and could prevent the need for further clampdowns.”

“It will work by using Bluetooth technology to connect users' phones to other nearby phones, and to record people who have come into close proximity - at a distance of two metres - for 15 minutes. If someone tests positive for coronavirus and records it on the app, it will automatically alert those who were near them in the past few weeks, and ask them to self-isolate.”

Oh isn’t that wonderful! It’ll mean that the government can keep us all safe without needing to go into lockdown! Let’s all sign up for the app and discredit anyone who refuses to join in! It is all for the good of all! Make it mandatory to carry your phone with the app!

No tin foil hats necessary to see where this is going. Expect other countries to follow if the take up is successful.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/31/new-contact-tracing-app-could-key-ending-coronavirus-lockdown/

Edited by Antonymous
Added source
9 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Exactly my point. Thank you.

Instill enough fear and people will be begging them to keep measures in place, "they" will make sure that happens!

These are the same people in control that we knew we couldn't trust weeks ago ????

How quickly times change!

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Exactly my point. Thank you.

Not hard to imagine a situation where this virus 'lingers' on almost indefinitely and then there will be another and another and so on indefinitely. Once citizens become used to the monitoring and control, there will be no turning back.

If you were really worried about being tracked why do you come on here each day!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
52 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Once citizens become used to the monitoring and control, there will be no turning back.

We're already used to it. Cameras everywhere, AI, facial recognition, GPS tracking location and storing it (think Google).

Cat's already out of the bag and it's never going back in.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, sungod said:

If you were really worried about being tracked why do you come on here each day!!!!

But, but...

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?

OK, serious response: you are talking about chalk and cheese. Neither ThaiVisa nor any authority with access to TV user data is able to follow my every movement 24 hours a day, as the WuFlu app can. Hence I am not in the least worried about posting on TV. But thanks for your concern.

18 hours ago, Guderian said:

This is what they did in South Korea to bring the outbreak there under control quickly, together with a lot of testing. It worked, why the negativity?

Because if you give someone power,they will always,always eventually abuse it .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yes I work in the tech industry and there are already apps out there that do similar things.  I still have my 3g flip top phone, voice and text only.  I planned on keeping that until the lights go out.  However ATT sent me a text last week saying 3g support is going away in Feb 2023.  Similarly about 10 years ago I had to replace my old Ericson 2 g phone because the network was not supporting 2g anymore. 

On 4/1/2020 at 4:06 PM, Guderian said:

This is what they did in South Korea to bring the outbreak there under control quickly, together with a lot of testing. It worked, why the negativity?

Because if you give someone power ,they will always abuse it , there will be more of this in the future ,all in the name of safety, be afraid ,be very afraid????

On 4/1/2020 at 3:23 PM, daveAustin said:

Good idea afaic. Would you prefer to keep things as they are all for the sake of 'freedom'? They should make one that tracks paedophiles too! 

why not have one that tracks everyone all the time?

then you can sack most of the police, and just arrest those nearby when a crime happens.

On 4/1/2020 at 4:49 PM, Antonymous said:

But, but...

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?

OK, serious response: you are talking about chalk and cheese. Neither ThaiVisa nor any authority with access to TV user data is able to follow my every movement 24 hours a day, as the WuFlu app can. Hence I am not in the least worried about posting on TV. But thanks for your concern.

mods can view your ip address.

they can see where you are at every post you make.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

mods can view your ip address.

they can see where you are at every post you make.

They can see where the IP address says you are - but if using a half decent VPN you could theoretically be almost anywhere you want to be.

• Thanks 1