Phuket: Showing kindness in a crisis - Thai helps foreigners in virus distress

rooster59

36 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

People like this poster wouldn’t wouldn’t know the meaning of the word.

I often wonder why they bother to live here, but then again he might be a member of the band of Thai bashers who are posting from overseas.

They must live sad lives.

Let us all pray for that your assumption is right.

Anywhere in Thailand they would help you with something to eat if needed.

When was the last time you heard anyone in Thailand starving to death ?

On the other hand, how did a farang get into this situation in the first place.

Said it many times, if we are not in a position to look after ourselves then let our mother country bear the brunt 

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I have always found Thai people to be exceedingly helpful and kind, and fail to understand why you even question if it was "genuine"

You must have experienced some very unkind actions during your life. 

Well I have too experienced some very unkind actions in my 15 years stay here.

But I am still able to recognise that one Thai person had a generous gesture. Of course if it happened. SO let's all celebrate that.

I have never had such a gentile gesture towards me yet, unless of course from people from whom I regularly buy goods.

And yes some people do compare this one reported kind gesture, to the 600,000 followers of Spotlight FB site. How not to....

So we can rejoice, one nice fellow out there...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

or the rantings of government ministers who in my experience do not represent the views of the Thai people I know.

That may be the case mate but unfortunately they DO represent the views of many, many locals living amongst us.

That famous Thai smile has long gone, replaced with stressed bored facial expressions.

No ones gonna tell me that this is the same place as it was 20 or even 10 years ago.

Things done changed. 

Forever. 

8 hours ago, Genmai said:

How about a certain FB page with 600,000 followers calling for Phuket locals to gather up slingshots and shoot rocks at whitey's head? Can we criticize that? Or how about the fact that that page isn't on Thai news but this feelgood "All-Thais-Are-Angels" story is?

A genuine good-hearted gesture? Sure, if it's real. But you can't deny this stinks of a damage control PR campaign. C'mon, think of the bigger picture here. A 600,000 strong FB Phuket-based page of racists getting some public attention, and then suddenly- boom - like clockwork, a feel-good article about the kindness of Phuket people? No. It's no different to stories of honest taxi drivers turning in bags of diamonds and cash that get published like clockwork after another story of condemnation.

Edit: I'll also add that the ThaiVisa article about that FB page in question is no longer available. Make of that what you will!

bash on  mate  think nothing positive comes from u sour lemon guy 

8 hours ago, Genmai said:

How about a certain FB page with 600,000 followers calling for Phuket locals to gather up slingshots and shoot rocks at whitey's head? Can we criticize that? Or how about the fact that that page isn't on Thai news but this feelgood "All-Thais-Are-Angels" story is?

A genuine good-hearted gesture? Sure, if it's real. But you can't deny this stinks of a damage control PR campaign. C'mon, think of the bigger picture here. A 600,000 strong FB Phuket-based page of racists getting some public attention, and then suddenly- boom - like clockwork, a feel-good article about the kindness of Phuket people? No. It's no different to stories of honest taxi drivers turning in bags of diamonds and cash that get published like clockwork after another story of condemnation.

Edit: I'll also add that the ThaiVisa article about that FB page in question is no longer available. Make of that what you will!

The free omelettes prove that Thai people are kind. The story about the slingshots proves that sometimes there is fake news. You should take care not to believe fake news. So don't worry about the slingshot story. Omelette aroi.

8 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Just another PR campaign to try and redeem Phukets soiled image by social media gangsters calling for our heads.

No, I'm not buying any of it.

Well how about play it back then ....

Tomorrow ... a bunch of expat meet up and start giving out free food ... Does not have to cost a lot ... I am sure it must be someone on here who know a local Thai with a food cart ... ?

Have some of them foam board things made up .. in Thai and English ... 'The Expat Community helping its Thai friends in hour of need'...

'We are all in this sh.......t together'

'In the hours of need we all must help each other' ....

I am sure that would create a lot of interesting videos on FB ....

We could set up a TV collection to get everyone to support the food that needs to be bought ... ????

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

That may be the case mate but unfortunately they DO represent the views of many, many locals living amongst us.

That famous Thai smile has long gone, replaced with stressed bored facial expressions.

No ones gonna tell me that this is the same place as it was 20 or even 10 years ago.

Things done changed. 

Forever. 

I hear the same complaint from 'back home'.

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

You should feel ashamed!

You never seem able to construct any counter argument,just an unsubstantiated opinion or admonishment .The poster acknowledges this may have been a genuine gesture but also argues a substantiated credible alternative for which there is precedent. You should try to be more ambitious in the composition of your posts unless you simply don’t have the intellect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

You never seem able to construct any counter argument,just an unsubstantiated opinion or admonishment .The poster acknowledges this may have been a genuine gesture but also argues a substantiated credible alternative for which there is precedent. You should try to be more ambitious in the composition of your posts unless you simply don’t have the intellect.

Thanks for the advice, Mr Intellectual

9 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

We can criticize the gov't and even some locals for some of the cultural differences.   But this seems to be a genuine, good-hearted gesture.   

Now let's see how long it takes for TV to devolve into a bashing session 555.

Thanks for setting the tone, I am happy to see this as pure humanity and leave the nasty comments out 

Well done 

• Like 2

ROFL   Is this an example of the 'new' taxi cab driver finding and returning a Farang wallet full of money stories. Sure, it must of happened sometime somewhere.  Usually occurs after some horrible thing has just happened to Farangs.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Genmai said:

You're not supposed to notice that. Of course, well said.

There are more and more reports about anti foreigners sentiment

in china, as the government try to shift the blame on this virus crisis

to "dirty foreigners".

in some places foreigners - western and africans - are being pulled out of their 

apartments or hotels and being forced into quarantine or airports

or just being left in the streets with their beloningns.

many hotels and restaurants won't accept "foreigners" and advertise

it clearly.

Nice to see that thai people are are not being dragged to this low life attitudes.

Let's hope that politicians will also keep their spirits high and will not fall

into china's dirty games.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

We can criticize the gov't and even some locals for some of the cultural differences.   But this seems to be a genuine, good-hearted gesture.   

Now let's see how long it takes for TV to devolve into a bashing session 555.

Or should we just forget about the FB page promoting violence against foreigners. THAT is bashing , literally.

• Sad 2

Why some people choose to have binary reflexion ? Why some of them do they think that people from Thailand or from this country or that one, are like this or like that... This is what racism is meaning: to define a comportment linked to a race.
But well, the other one who don't think like that know why.
The fact is that there is idiot/racist people all over the world, there is nothing in relation with color of skin (maybe cultural mind can influence to be more stupid sometime, but sure Buddhist culture has nothing racist, so...).
The fact is also that you can even take one racist article and thinking all the people are racist. (600 thousand like is 0.1 % of the Thai people in Thailand...). You can even take one great act and think every body them same country are like that...

But it is stupid, the life is not like that.
So now, you can also choose to show yourself to be an idiot or not (and understand or not what is the level of your comment).
The fact is that i want to choose to said what i'm thinking to be good as it is good. Which kind of people can not understand this ?

Edited by jerolamo
not finished

10 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Just another PR campaign to try and redeem Phukets soiled image by social media gangsters calling for our heads.

No, I'm not buying any of it.

Damn you do, damn you don’t. What is wrong with you? I don’t see you being generous in helping other expats. Such a negative, narrow minded attitude. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, michaellee said:

Damn you do, damn you don’t. What is wrong with you? I don’t see you being generous in helping other expats. Such a negative, narrow minded attitude. 

....or you just don’t see it. Doesn’t it remind you of every time a taxi driver attacks a foreigner, within a couple of days another driver finds a huge sum of money and returns it to....... the foreigner who left it. Perhaps you’re that gullible, but most of us aren’t.

I totally agree with Marcus that it is a fact to create bad relation background possible to choose to speak <deleted> about people of the country you want to stay.
It is first not respectable because you can just leave the country (it is not yours).
Then again, as long as there is some (racism in Thailand), yes... there is some every where humans have a life. Not to much in Thailand as i can see. And when they said: 'farang who don't follow the rule', they are not speaking about all the farang, but specialy the one who do not follow the rule... it is pretty clear. If the answer is "there is also Thai who are not follow the rule", so yes sure there is... they can not leave there own country, and you are not also policeman in foreign country..., but strangers, first, can leave this country if he doesn't follow the rule (he should). What you can not understand there exactly ? It is not racism when people in there own country are tired with bad people, and they don't need some new bad ones from everywhere around the world, sure.

Well... there is also some people around the world who drink every day and want to show only what is bad, and obviously thinking that all is bad (but not the fact they are drinking every day and doesn't follow a rule of the foreign country they stay... are any other)... also what is good becomes bad with them (it looks like something crazy... isn't it ?). But, what are they doing good for them or any other ? Nothing.
But sure, no one good would stay near this kind of negative people who imagine all is bad and/or for something back. I will also not stick near them... for sure.

Edited by jerolamo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marcus Atwood said:

Dude, you are full of hatred for Thailand and are completely wrong about the Spotlight Thailand page. Had you bothered to ever learn Thai, you would have perhaps learned a thing or two about Thais and Thai “sarcasm”. The comments about threatening to kill foreigners is total BS by the way. You’re either making that up or taking things completely out of context to fit your warped world view that is the hatred of Thailand.

The Spotlight Thailand comments are Thais mostly just joking around about farangs. And most of their comments are warranted. They are making fun of low-class farangs that live mainly in Patong. Many farangs are running around Patong without masks, hanging out at the beaches, setting up makeshift gyms, working out, and drinking alcohol publicly despite being ordered not to do so.

Normally, this disrespectful behavior is tolerated by Thai locals as it's par for the course. However, at this current moment in time, this behavior is very frustrating for Thai locals who are trying to stop the spread of this virus so that it doesn’t ruin Phuket’s reputation. Phuket has made its way to Bloomberg News in the USA and has now been labeled as a covid-19 “hot spot”. This is precisely what the locals were hoping to avoid. This is not good publicity for Phuket. Phuket is the gem of Thailand so it is not good when your most prized real estate ends up on a covid-19 hotspot list.

On top of that, there is a French motorcycle gang that has been riding around Phuket, creating mischief and looting. Many suspect they are doing home invasions as well. These types of farangs are super low-class criminals and the local Thais have every right to be upset about them. They bully and often beat up the local Thais.

You are completely wrong about Thais in Phuket disliking foreigners. This is so false, it is ridiculous. I, along with every other foreigner here in Phuket that I've shared your comment with, we are all scratching our heads. We are wondering what world you live in and if you even live in Thailand? We have only ever been treated with kindness and respect in Phuket. It sounds to me like you either a) don't live in Thailand and just enjoy trolling and Thai bashing or b ) got screwed over in a really bad way.

Please stop spreading upsetting misinformation about Thailand. Comments such as yours do great damage to Thai-farang relations.

Could not disagree with you more. And no I don’t hate Thailand but like my own country, when something is bad I’ll call it out for what it is. I’ve heard some Thai people say some really bad things about foreigners over the years, but I weigh that up against all the good things and on balance, well I’m still here so that speaks for itself. I think you should just take off your rose tinted glasses and be realistic. It’s not all good and it’s not all bad.

6 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

I totally agree with Marcus that it is a fact to create bad relation background possible to choose to speak <deleted> about people of the country you want to stay.
It is first not respectable because you can just leave the country (it is not yours).
Then again, as long as there is some (racism in Thailand), yes... there is some every where humans have a life. Not to much in Thailand as i can see. And when they said: 'fareng who don't fllow the rule', they ar enot speaking about all the farangh, but the one who are not follow the rule... it is pretty clear. If the answer is "there is also Thai who are not follow the rule", so yes sure there is... they can not leave there own country, but stranger can leave if he doesn't follow the rule. What you can not understyand there ? It is not racism.
Well... there is also some people around the world who drink every day, want to show only what is bad, and obviously thinking that all is bad (but not the fact they are drinking avery day and doesn't follow a rule of the foreign country they stay)... also what is good becomes bad with them (it looks like something crazy... isn't it ?).
But sure, no one good would stay near this kind of negative people who imagine all is bad and/or for something back. I will also not stick near them... for sure.

Here we go again 

9 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Could not disagree with you more. And no I don’t hate Thailand but like my own country, when something is bad I’ll call it out for what it is. I’ve heard some Thai people say some really bad things about foreigners over the years, but I weigh that up against all the good things and on balance, well I’m still here so that speaks for itself. I think you should just take off your rose tinted glasses and be realistic. It’s not all good and it’s not all bad.

To be realistic from a Pataya's bar or from the wide land in deep Thai country seems to not have the same color and smell of reality.

We do not have the same kind of life and relations in Thailand.

You can try also to:
1/ change your mind to look at if something are changing around yourself,
2/ change the place if this one is dirty (do not stay at dirty place, that is the first rule i'm living with to be happy)
3/ change own practices who seems to be bad

After that you can try again to speak about reality.
But same, it should be "your reality", the one you are living with. As long as something wrong around all the time, it is the price of bad way you usually go with.

But yes, sometimes, again and again change nothing (I feel not guilty by the choice of the other).

Edited by jerolamo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Genmai said:

I hope it's for real .... But, part of me agrees with your response to the initial 'nice post'.

I'll use this moment to whinge about:

Price gouging prominent restaurant in Surin/Bang Tao, not far from the corner Orange service station on Srisoonthorn Road charged me 200 baht for a duck broth (1 drumstick - no noodles or kaow niao). Got diddled a week or so back ... got home before realising the change didn't add up!  Went back the next evening and spoke to the boss lady but was simply ignored.

Politely and calmly told her I would not return and tell and post online for others not to go to her restaurant and takeout! Fat lot of good that will do ... haha. 

There's a religious bigot/racist roti seller cart across the road too by the way who made me wait 20 minutes while he served about 10 others who arrived after me.  I'm not a nasty looking, dressed or behaving dude either and always speak respectfully and in not too bad Thai to avery Thai I interact with.

Sadly Genmai I tend to see more of what you speak of now in Thai society than the old days (1980's for me) where everyone bar a few rare exceptions would invite you in off the street, feed you, adopt you there and then if you so much as said hello.

• Sad 1

Asking the question, the tourists who come back in the future is at least partially dependent on how foreigners are being treated now. Thailand...if you want help in the future..show some compassion now. 

I have seen total ignorance in Australia..towns that wanted tourists after the bushfire saying "we dont want you" now. Thats fine, but dont whine in 12 or 24 months when tourists remember your lack of compassion say " fck you back"