Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

8 hours ago, Why Me said:

Have you checked your US banks web site or app for mobile deposit? This will allow you to upload pics of the back and front of your check and have it credited.

Doesn't always work. My bank in US has that function but would not accept pux when I yried last year.

Since I owe taxes this year I am wondering if there is any reason not to just tear up the check and claim the deduction? Otherwise I'm taking money only to have to send it straight back.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Doesn't always work. My bank in US has that function but would not accept pux when I yried last year.

Since I owe taxes this year I am wondering if there is any reason not to just tear up the check and claim the deduction? Otherwise I'm taking money only to have to send it straight back.

Sheryl, my experience is that the mobile banking app is just finicky about the pics. Black background and the check exactly filling the guides. Another odd thing about my bank's app it kept showing a retake button until I realized that was only an option and I could choose next and snap the back face.

I wouldn't "tear  up the check" until it's safely deposited either with the bank or IRS (as acknowledged)

11 hours ago, Why Me said:

Have you checked your US banks web site or app for mobile deposit? This will allow you to upload pics of the back and front of your check and have it credited.

Today just opened account at Bangkok bank at silom and the check would be cashed within two weeks,  much better than other banks here. 

On 2/17/2021 at 9:36 PM, Rdrokit said:

Good reason to get direct deposit here or an American bank that will except a copy of the check emailed or faxed to them. 

Bangkok bank main office in silom accept treasury checks if you open account and would deposit it after two weeks, best option in Thailand. 

On 2/18/2021 at 7:18 PM, Sheryl said:

I've learned that some banks (Capital One and Vanguard) apparently use a geo-fence and only allow check deposits via the app if you're phone is in the US. If you have a VPN and connect with a US site you could probably get around that requirement. I had no such issues with Ally bank and successfully deposited the check. 

Another option would be to scan the check as a photo and send it to a trusted friend in the US. That person could print the front and back and use the app to take the required pictures. You'd have to provide your login credentials (and then change them afterwards). I've done that before. 

The third option is to claim it on your 1040. My tax preparer was reluctant to do that and encouraged me to wait and see if the check arrived - which it did. I'm not sure why. 

1 hour ago, DFPhuket said:

I've learned that some banks (Capital One and Vanguard) apparently use a geo-fence and only allow check deposits via the app if you're phone is in the US. If you have a VPN and connect with a US site you could probably get around that requirement.

A VPN will change your internet IP address, but it won't change the location info that the cell connection provides and i think many banks use the cell connection for location info. Might have to turn off the cell connection and rely upon wifi alone for this to work.  It will depend on your bank's security protocols. Worth a try in any event.

Below 3 Mar 2021 article is a really good in summing up the latest on the "3rd" stimulus payment....that is, the probable $1,400 payment progressing thru Congress right now.   With President Biden's blessing it appears the Senate will lower the upper cutoff income level to receive a stimulus payment....this is supposedly to make the stimulus payment more targeted (i.e., fewer higher income folks to receive a payment).   

"Lots" of good info in this article with charts to help in understanding.  Partial quote below...but be sure to read the whole article.

https://smartasset.com/insights/coronavirus-third-stimulus-checksreddit

Facing pressure from moderate Senate Democrats, President Joe Biden has agreed to narrow eligibility limits for a third round of $1,400 stimulus checks. This means that the new Senate proposal could exclude individual taxpayers earning over $80,000 and joint filers making over $160,000 from getting a stimulus payment. Let’s break down what the American Rescue Plan could mean for you – who is eligible for the third stimulus check, how it will be calculated, and how soon you will get it. (Note: This is a developing story, and we will continue to update the article as more information becomes available)/

• Like 1

Looks like I'll be receiving both stimulus payments, last and this years, by check. Online taxes had wrong routing number somehow and right account number, so the bank will surely reject it and the IRS will send out a check to last known address. I filed last year but the IRS made a computer mistake so it was rejected. I had my Thai address on it but since it was rejected will they go by this years filing or the last known address, filed in Texas in 2016? Anyone experience this and was a check sent to your Thai address or your last US address? How long did a check take to arrive? If mine goes to my US address, my daughter will get it at her house and  can deposit it into my US account, in lieu of sending it to me, which would take much more time and a hassle getting it cashed here.

Edited by fredwiggy
On 3/10/2021 at 11:29 AM, fredwiggy said:

Looks like I'll be receiving both stimulus payments, last and this years, by check. Online taxes had wrong routing number somehow and right account number, so the bank will surely reject it and the IRS will send out a check to last known address. I filed last year but the IRS made a computer mistake so it was rejected. I had my Thai address on it but since it was rejected will they go by this years filing or the last known address, filed in Texas in 2016? Anyone experience this and was a check sent to your Thai address or your last US address? How long did a check take to arrive? If mine goes to my US address, my daughter will get it at her house and  can deposit it into my US account, in lieu of sending it to me, which would take much more time and a hassle getting it cashed here.

Pays to double check your tax form entries....the IRS or whatever tax software you used don't change your entries like bank routing numbers.

Unless your return was rejected within hours of efiling the IRS processed or has under audit your tax return.  By under audit I mean they are giving it a closer review and possibly mailing you some correspondence asking for some clarification/additional info...and they would use the address on the tax return under question unless they suspect identity theft then they might use an address from your previous return....or are just waiting for you to contact them.

But you indicated your return has been approved/refund issued, but you expect the bank will probably reject the refund because of the incorrect routing number.    If the IRS has indeed approved the return/issued a refund via check then they are using whatever address you entered on that return.

I was under the impression that the IRS would use whatever address they have on file from a previous return. That would be the 2016 return where I got direct deposit, from another bank account. It would be okay if they sent it to my daughter, who gets my US mail, and she could deposit it for me. If it comes here, it might take awhile, and would I have trouble cashing it at Bank of Bangkok, or would depositing it in my account here just take a week or so to clear?

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I was under the impression that the IRS would use whatever address they have on file from a previous return. That would be the 2016 return where I got direct deposit, from another bank account. It would be okay if they sent it to my daughter, who gets my US mail, and she could deposit it for me. If it comes here, it might take awhile, and would I have trouble cashing it at Bank of Bangkok, or would depositing it in my account here just take a week or so to clear?

Shouldn't have any problem in cashing it at Bangkok Bank....cost would be $15 (converted to baht at current exchange rate) plus 3 baht stamp duty.   Check should clear in approx two weeks.   Krungsri Bank charges Bt200 plus 3 baht stamp duty to cash...unsure of clearing time.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Shouldn't have any problem in cashing it at Bangkok Bank....cost would be $15 (converted to baht at current exchange rate) plus 3 baht stamp duty.   Check should clear in approx two weeks.   Krungsri Bank charges Bt200 plus 3 baht stamp duty to cash...unsure of clearing time.

Thanks Pib. Hope they send it soon. Somewhere.

On 2/25/2021 at 6:27 AM, jeffandgop said:

I received in the mail to my home in Chiang Mai the second stimulus check.....deposited to my US credit union via their mobile banking app.....

On 25 Feb I filed my 2020 tax return using OLT. Even tho I had no tax overpayment so no refund, the software included the opportunity to input my direct deposit info in the event of future stimulus payments. I included my banking information on my Form 1040. Today I checked the IRS “Where’s My Payment” webpage, delighted that the latest/3rd stimulus payment is scheduled for direct deposit 17 March. It paid off to file my 2020 tax return as soon as I was in a position to.  

As expected my US bank just posted stimulus payment #3 at around 4:30am CT 16 Mar (U.S. date/time).  As mentioned earlier my bank's policy is to post direct deposits one day before the payment instructions effective date which is 17 Mar for this particular IRS stimulus payment.  

I have now received stimulus #1, #2, and #3.   Thank you IRS for not messing up any of my stimulus payments as I know some were not as lucky.

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm trying to call the IRS tonight at 6,(7am their time) to get my correct bsnk information to them so they can direct deposit the upcoming stimulus. I'm thinking it's probably too late for the first to be sent other than a paper check.

I was told on the phone that they absolutely will NOT accept banking information over the phone because of fraud prevention. 

24 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm trying to call the IRS tonight at 6,(7am their time) to get my correct bsnk information to them so they can direct deposit the upcoming stimulus. I'm thinking it's probably too late for the first to be sent other than a paper check.

As Jingthing said above the IRS will not accept bank info over the phone.   If the bank info was incorrect/no longer correct from a tax return or from a govt pension payment like SS/VA you will get paid via snail mail check/debit card.   

Now you need to watch your Get My Payment status closely because in some cases it will allow you to enter the bank payment info there and then they will send via direct deposit.  However, there are posts of people who were able to enter bank info in the Get My Payment weblink but still got paid via check/debit card probably because they just missed the bus....entered the info too late to prevent a check/debit card from being mailed which OBE's the bank info.

I'm trying to have them change my routing number, which is public information they can google themselves, and explaining the mistake so I can receive DD instead of a check for the next stimulus. They already have all of my information so it's just an adjustment to include the right bank's routing number. I just checked the Get My payment and it said the deposit was going to my account March 17th, but that's what I was talking about, that they have the wrong routing number so I need to have them get the correct one

Edited by fredwiggy
36 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm trying to have them change my routing number, which is public information they can google themselves, and explaining the mistake so I can receive DD instead of a check for the next stimulus. They already have all of my information so it's just an adjustment to include the right bank's routing number. I just checked the Get My payment and it said the deposit was going to my account March 17th, but that's what I was talking about, that they have the wrong routing number so I need to have them get the correct one

As said earlier they will not accept bank info over the phone routing number...acct number....or both.  

From the IRS website...applies to any type of IRS payment...stimulus payment or refund.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

image.png.d43bba6449ea575877b4e87d96caa444.png

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

As said earlier they will not accept bank info over the phone routing number...acct number....or both.  

From the IRS website...applies to any type of IRS payment...stimulus payment or refund.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

image.png.d43bba6449ea575877b4e87d96caa444.png

I see that, but how would you be able to change anything if you can't talk to someone? There is no other contact method. I understand they can always send a check, but why isn't there a way to update anything to make it easier for both them and I?

14 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I see that, but how would you be able to change anything if you can't talk to someone? There is no other contact method. I understand they can always send a check, but why isn't there a way to update anything to make it easier for both them and I?

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-18

Question
What should I do if I entered an incorrect routing or account number for direct deposit of my refund?
Answer

The IRS assumes no responsibility for tax preparer or taxpayer error. Please verify your account and routing numbers with your financial institution and double check the accuracy of the numbers you enter on your return prior to signing and submitting it. You should not request a deposit of your refund into an account that's not in your own name.

The IRS handles account or routing number errors the same for both split refunds and regular direct deposits.

Scenario:

• You omit a digit in the account or routing number of an account and the number doesn't pass the IRS's validation check. In this case, the IRS will send you a paper check for the entire refund instead of a direct deposit.
  • You incorrectly enter an account or routing number and the number passes the validation check, but your designated financial institution rejects and returns the deposit to the IRS. The IRS will issue a paper check for the amount of that deposit once it is received.
  • You incorrectly enter an account or routing number that belongs to someone else and your designated financial institution accepts the deposit. You must work directly with the respective financial institution to recover your funds. See the last solution bullet below.
  • You requested a Refund Anticipation Loan (RAL) or Refund Anticipation Check (RAC) through your preparer or preparation software. Usually this occurs when you authorize the fee for preparation to be taken from your refund. Even if you didn't request a direct deposit, these types of refunds are directly deposited into the preparer’s financial institution, so you should contact that institution for resolution. See the last solution bullet below.

Solution:

• If the return hasn't already posted to our system, you can ask us to stop the direct deposit. You may call us toll-free at 800-829-1040, M - F, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
  • Generally, if the financial institution recovers the funds and returns them to the IRS, the IRS will send a paper refund check to your last known address on file with the IRS.
  • If you have contacted the financial institution and two weeks have passed with no results, you will need to file Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund PDF to initiate a trace. This allows the IRS to contact the bank on your behalf to attempt recovery of your refund. Banks are allowed up to 90 days from the date of the initial trace input to respond to our request for information.
  • If funds aren't available or the bank refuses to return the funds, the IRS cannot compel the bank to do so. The case may then become a civil matter between you and the financial institution and/or the owner of the account into which the funds were deposited.
Category
Sub-Category
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 15-Mar-2021

•  
22 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Just got off phone with them. Said both will be checks to my Thai address. Can take up to 9 weeks, although first will be mailed Friday, and international mail doesn't take that long, so I'm hoping faster.

That 9 week answer is their standard answer for an international address and "really applies to how long you must wait before you could request a  trace in case the check don't show up."    See below IRS FAQ where they are talking the tracking/tracing of an EIP....would apply to tax refunds also.   Assuming they do mail the check this Friday you should receive it in less than a month as I've got recent mailings from the U.S. to my Bangkok address and they took around 2 to 3 weeks to arrive.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs#howdoi

If Get My Payment or your Notice 1444 or 1444-B  shows your payment was issued as a direct deposit more than 5 days after the payment date, your first step is to check with your bank and make sure they didn’t receive a deposit. Do not check with your bank prior to 5 days because they may not have any information.  

You should only request a payment trace to track your payment if you received Notice 1444 or Notice 1444-B or if Get My Payment shows your payment was issued and you have not received it within the timeframes below. IRS assistors cannot initiate a payment trace unless it has been:

• 5 days since the deposit date and the bank says it hasn’t received the payment
  • 4 weeks since the payment was mailed by check to a standard address for the first EIP; after February 24, 2021 for the second EIP
  • 6 weeks since the payment was mailed, and you have a forwarding address on file with the local post office for the first EIP; March 10, 2021 for the second EIP
  • 9 weeks since the payment was mailed, and you have a foreign address for the first EIP; March 31, 2021 for the second EIP

•  
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I was told on the phone that they absolutely will NOT accept banking information over the phone because of fraud prevention. 

You could try faxing in a form 3911.

That worked for me after not receiving Stim#1 check, Stim#2 was direct deposited. GMP shows Stim#3 going into the same account.

• 2 weeks later...

Received from friend back home about 15 minutes ago.

???????? ???????? ????????????????????, ???????????? ???????????????????? ???????????? ???????????? ???????????????????????????????? ???????????? ???????????? ???????????????? ???????????? ???????????????????????????? ???????????????????? ???????????????? ???????????? ???????????????????????? ???????? ???????????????????? ????????????????

“ 11, 2021,” they wrote Wednesday. “ , . , 25, 2021.” - via a letter from The Committee on Ways and Means/U.S. House of Representatives on March 24.
The stimulus delay for SSI/SSDI recipients isn't the fault of the IRS. It's the fault of SSA. They were asked to submit the info at the end of February and it's been a month now. Over 30 million people on SSI/SSDI have no idea of when they will receive these payments and if they haven't filed taxes because their income doesn't meet the minimum requirement to do so the IRS "Get My Payment" tool will not tell them what they want to know. Some people on SSI who filed taxes have received their stimulus but that's just a small number of the 30 million that are still waiting for it.
I see lots of people complaining about this but we only found out that we were going to get it on March 11. My first stimulus came long after most people I know and though the second one came within days this isn't something that we should expect or rely on. This will most likely be the last one we get too so spend it wisely when you finally do get it.
The letter that the Committee sent to SSI and IRS has since been revised and the new deadline they gave for the information to be provided is March 26.

image.png.7af4decb2ee250a0870190fd9a74923a.png