Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

On 3/22/2020 at 6:03 PM, bkk6060 said:

Do you still have a US address and are paying taxes?  If so, yes if you qualify within the income limits.

As far as thru SS, I doubt it probably a seperate check.

You do not need a US address. You do not need to be a tax filer if normally you don't see IRS.gov

On 3/22/2020 at 6:12 PM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I've been following this closely. I could really use the cash. I'm a teacher and was supposed to have work over the holiday, but summer school was canceled.

It's going to a vote tomorrow. Last I heard, the first payments of up to either $1000 or $1200 could go out April 6. There might be a second payment in May, depending on how things go. It's mostly tied to your 2018 taxes. Good thing I did them, and declared my foreign income here.

Looks like they're trying to squeeze in Social Security recipients as well: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/coronavirus-rescue-checks-may-shortchange-americans-on-social-security.html

Keep an eye on the news tomorrow. Hang in there man.

SS recipients get stimulus irs.gov

20 minutes ago, andy said:

Has anyone had success with the Get My Payment app with the following situation:

• Filed for 2018 and did not include direct deposit info
  • Not yet filed for 2019

The IRS has updated it's website (https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments) and has added new info to indicate that in the above situation (which I'm sure applies to many expats), you will be unable to use the Get My Payment tool.

Where do you see that? I don't find anything to that effect on that site. It says only that if you filed in 2018 and not yet for 2019 AND need to change your address, you need to file for 2019 to do so. 

AFAIK you can still use the "Get my payment" tool to enter your Direct Deposit info. However if you get SS, cannot use the tool yet. And from the sounds of it, may not need to as it sounds like payment will be generated to the same direct deposit as used for your SS benefits.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Payment Status Not Available

According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

Got that too. But the "Who is eligible?" is worrying:

US residents will receive the ...

I file a return every year (already filed for 2019), the IRS has my DD info but the address on my return is my Thai address (has been for years) and on my 2555 I claim the 330-days-abroad exemption.

So, I am not sure I fall in the "US resident" category. What do you think? Did you get the money despite doubtful US residency?

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I just checked my USA bank account and it shows a deposit of $2400--married filing jointly.  I thought the check wouldn't arrive until sometime in May but it is here already.  

Could I ask if you file your return with a Thai home address?

1 minute ago, newnative said:

Yes I do.  But I have direct deposit for my federal tax refund with a USA bank.  

Great, exactly my situation. Thai address on my return but DD/payments from USA based CU.

Added: I also file a 2555 for foreign earned income exclusion claiming to be abroad 330 days. Not sure if this will queer the pitch.

6 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Great, exactly my situation. Thai address on my return but DD/payments from USA based CU.

Added: I also file a 2555 for foreign earned income exclusion claiming to be abroad 330 days. Not sure if this will queer the pitch.

I see.  My return was just pension and SS.  Hope you get your stimulus check. 

22 hours ago, Pib said:

OK, what about you folks with Bangkok Bank accts which you have used for past IRS refunds, SSA monthly payments, etc., any of you got a stimulus payment to your Bangkok Bank acct, repeat, Bangkok Bank acct?  

Anybody?

• Like 1

has anyone been able to successfully get thru the validation process WITH A FOREIGN ADDRESS and then enter their direct deposit information using the "get my payment" app?

i've tried over the course of two nights.  i get 3 tries to enter (guess what they want?), then get locked out for 24 hours.  i'm now keeping a list of all the address variations i've tried.

-filed in 2018 and 2019 using my address in china (6-digit zip code).

-2019 return has my china street address.

-2018 return used schedule 6 to enter foreign address, but with NO line for  street address.

-form 2555 for both years has my street address.

i have NEVER entered direct deposit info on a tax return, preferring not to give the government a free loan that i get back later without interest.

tonight tried:

1.  china street address in all caps as on return with 6-digit zip code.

2.  china street address in all caps without zip code.

3.  current us mailing address for credit cards and brokerage 1099's, NOT used on tax return for 20+ years.

i'm just guessing, but i'm thinking they don't have an address on file for me yet.  the 2018 return had no line for a foreign street address, and they likely have not processed my 2019 return.  that was sent in via freefillableforms and was accepted by the irs on feb 17.  serves me right for not waiting until the last minute.

Different people have different scenarios.

My case is a little odd.

I filed in 2018 but not 2019 yet.

No direct deposit info.

But social security with direct deposit.

Now if I hadn't filed in 2018 either I would know for sure it's supposed to be based on the social security bank info.

But filing in 2018 might complicated this, but I really don't think so, based on this.

So I'm not even going to try to go into the IRS portal until later this month IF the payment hasn't come in to my S.S. bank.

This guy gives expected timing for different situations --

2 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Which should be good enough. Unless your DD is into a Thai bank. They have a "US resident" eligibility requirement, which is not clear how they decide.

No they don't have a U.S. resident requirement. That's been discussed and debunked. But yes a foreign bank could be a problem. I have a U.S. bank though for these deposits. I just think my case is a little bit odd but it's hard to see anything written about such a case. It's generally either you didn't file for those two years, or you did file but no bank info OR social security. 

13 minutes ago, Why Me said:

It did. Schedule 6.

yes, schedule 6 to enter part of your foreign address.  my post was unclear.

the street address only on the 1040, but no other info.

for foreign address use the schedule 6, but no street address there,

just country, province and postal code.  no space for city.

Edited by ChouDoufu
8 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Hmm, from https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#elig 

Who is eligible?

U.S. residents will receive the Economic Impact Payment of ...

So, the question is how they decide residency.

Expats are eligible. Many have already received the payments.

Americans abroad who meet the income eligibility criteria (adjusted gross income under $99,000) are entitled to the Recovery Rebate (up to $1,200 payment plus $500 per child)

https://www.democratsabroad.org/carmelan/dems_abroad_outreach_about_us_govt_coronavirus_aid_for_americans_abroad

17 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

yes, schedule 6 to enter part of your foreign address.  my post was unclear.

the street address only on the 1040, but no other info.

for foreign address use the schedule 6, but no street address there,

just country, province and postal code.  no space for city.

Democrats abroad is writing about the foreign info glitches on the IRS portal and seems to be lobbying for fixes. 

https://www.democratsabroad.org/taxation_news

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Expats are eligible. Many have already received the payments.

Again, the question is of the IRS "residency". E.g., an expat who has a US home address and bank info (and doesn't claim to be abroad 330 days in the 2555, like I do) could very well qualify as a resident.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I would prefer the horse's mouth = IRS.

And, if you think about it, non-US-residents should not get the check. We aren't going to be spending the money in US shops and restaurants, which is the whole point of the stimulus.

But, hey, I am not going to complain if they want to give me $1200.

2 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Again, the question is of the IRS "residency". E.g., an expat who has a US home address and bank info (and doesn't claim to be abroad 330 days in the 2555, like I do) could very well qualify as a resident.

I would prefer the horse's mouth = IRS.

Think what you like. Expats are not being excluded. Also you conveniently didn't seem to both to read who is NOT eligible. Expats not mentioned. Social security mentioned separately. Residence not mentioned. Remember -- this was done QUICKLY. I

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Think what you like. Expats are not being excluded. Also you conveniently didn't seem to both to read who is NOT eligible. Expats not mentioned. Social security mentioned separately. Residence not mentioned. Remember -- this was done QUICKLY. I

Now, you're being stupid. "Expat" is not a tax status that IRS would specifically include/exclude it. "Resident" is.

1 minute ago, Why Me said:

And, if you think about it, non-US-residents should not get the check. We aren't going to be spending the money in US shops and restaurants, which is the whole point of the stimulus.

But, hey, I am not going to complain if they want to give me $1200.

Depending on your situation, it may have already been paid to you. Should / schmoud , either expats are getting these payments or not and they are. Do you think Democrats Abroad in their continued discussions with government people over the last several weeks would not have been told, oh, this isn't for Americans living abroad!?!

Depending on your situation, it may have already been paid to you.

it hasn't last I checked.

Should / schmoud , either expats are getting these payments or not and they are.

Again, I repeat: an expat who passes the "residency" test will/should get it.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Do you think Democrats Abroad

Why do you bring political parties into this? It's the IRS/Treasury making the decision.

• Thanks 1