Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

5 hours ago, Pib said:

it appears the questions you are being asked regarding how much of a refund or how much money you owed is really part of the identity verification process in order for them to accept direct deposit info.  But for someone like yourself who neither got a refund or owed Uncle Sam money you are in a Catch 22 situation, no man's land, etc.  You would think the IRS would have also offered a  third option/answer along the line of Didn't receive or owe money. 

Thanks Pib for the tip, I opened my 2019 tax filing in pdf form to see what's there for IRS verification and voila, it says on line 23 The amount you owe = 0! So in IRS lingua franca if you don't owe any amount that means you owe them zero. With bated breath I logged back to "Get my payment" and after judiciously entering all pertinent info on tax filing and bank account, I hit SUBMIT and abracadabra, for all my good will and prayer,  it says: (started over 2 more times, same result.)

technical.jpg

Edited by watthong
  • Haha 1
On 4/12/2020 at 1:43 PM, Curt1591 said:

"For eligible recipients who filed a tax return in 2018 or 2019, the IRS says the economic impact payment will be deposited directly into the same banking account that is reflected on the return. If you do not have direct deposit, a paper check will eventually be sent by mail to the address that is on your tax return, but that could take several weeks, even months. “If you file ‘married filing jointly,’ the check will be sent to both of you. Both of your names will be on the check,” Greene-Lewis said. “If you file ‘married filing separately’ and file two separate returns, you’d receive two separate checks made out in each of your names.” 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/01/whos-eligible-for-covid-19-stimulus-checks-your-questions-answered.html

If you filed jointly with your Thai spouse who is a non-US-Citizen then we may all be waiting for the money for a long time.  They are pushing this deposit via the IRS based on your filing status and deposit info.
Our foreign wives do not qualify for this payment to US citizens (nor should they), but we do. We are then one-offs in their system because we file together but one filers doesn't qualify.  I don't expect to see a deposit into my bank of record for taxes or SSA payment, nor a check.  My guess is that those of us with Thai spouses with eventually need to contact someone in the government to get our particular cases straightened out. 
But if anyone with a Thai wife who files jointly gets the money, let the rest of us know how that worked for you.

• Confused 1

Might be of interest. The Eligibility para at

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#elig

has changed in the past 24hrs. Last night I copied the following in an earlier post:

Who is eligible?

U.S. residents will receive the Economic Impact Payment of ...

Now it says:

You may be eligible to receive a Payment if you:

• Are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien;

Not sure what's going on. Maybe they want to make it clear green card holders are included. Maybe they have dropped the residency requirement so all citizens will get the payment. Still fluid because the "will" has changed to "may". Guess we have to wait.

Added: Just scrolled down the IRS page. See the following:

A31. Yes, U.S. citizens living outside the country are eligible for the Payment. Anyone eligible to file Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR is an eligible person if they have a valid SSN and can’t be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer. Nonresident aliens who file or would file Form 1040-NR or Form 1040-NR-EZ are not eligible for the Payment.

Looking good!

Edited by Why Me

No luck so far.  I filed in 2018 with H&R Expat and owed money.  I am still waiting to file 2019 taxes.  I filed as a single taxpayer in 2018.  I keep getting the message "Payment Status Not Available."  Lovely, do they know who I am?  Anyway, I get social security and am waiting for them to process the social security recipients which from my reading will be by early May.  As I am planning to drum up cash for the 1 year marriage extension this payment would be helpful.

8 hours ago, connda said:

If you filed jointly with your Thai spouse who is a non-US-Citizen then we may all be waiting for the money for a long time.  They are pushing this deposit via the IRS based on your filing status and deposit info.
Our foreign wives do not qualify for this payment to US citizens (nor should they), but we do. We are then one-offs in their system because we file together but one filers doesn't qualify.  I don't expect to see a deposit into my bank of record for taxes or SSA payment, nor a check.  My guess is that those of us with Thai spouses with eventually need to contact someone in the government to get our particular cases straightened out. 
But if anyone with a Thai wife who files jointly gets the money, let the rest of us know how that worked for you.

I filed jointly with my wife and she’s a Thai citizen and a US permanent resident who draws US Social Security and I received mine yesterday afternoon. I’m also a 100% permanently disabled veteran and neither one of us pay taxes anymore, and it wasn’t a problem it was really easy to apply for it and receive it! 

14 hours ago, Pib said:

I'm still not clear on how you filed.  So, this was "not" a normal 2019 efiling like using Turbotax, TaxAct, FreeFile....like a person would do even if COVID and stimulus payments was not even happening. 

Instead, you used the new IRS portal in above link because you never had a need to file a 2018/2019 return?

You just go to the website and do it online here. 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

Come on get real.

If you live in Thailand, with a Thai national, the only reason you applied to get her an ITIN was for the filing joint tax allowance.

Your wife is not considered as a US Resident or Citizen just because you chose to file in this way.

If this means you are not eligible for a stimulus payment, well sometimes you win sometimes you lose with the games we all play.

Just look back on the tax breaks you got in the past filing jointly and be happy

12 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

If this means you are not eligible for a stimulus payment, well sometimes you win sometimes you lose with the games we all play.

He will still be able to get his payment. His wife using a ITIN does not affect getting one for himself.

7 hours ago, danmarnj said:

I received mine 2 days ago. $1200 for me and my Thai wife each. and $500 for our daughter. 

Expect your Thai wife and daughter have social security numbers....US citizens/green card holders?  

5 hours ago, TikiT said:

I filed jointly with my wife and she’s a Thai citizen and a US permanent resident who draws US Social Security and I received mine yesterday afternoon. I’m also a 100% permanently disabled veteran and neither one of us pay taxes anymore, and it wasn’t a problem it was really easy to apply for it and receive it! 

the key is having a SSN for the wife and not using a ITN. IRN is the trigger to stop the payment on a joint return.

18 hours ago, watthong said:

Thanks Pib for the tip, I opened my 2019 tax filing in pdf form to see what's there for IRS verification and voila, it says on line 23 The amount you owe = 0! So in IRS lingua franca if you don't owe any amount that means you owe them zero. With bated breath I logged back to "Get my payment" and after judiciously entering all pertinent info on tax filing and bank account, I hit SUBMIT and abracadabra, for all my good will and prayer,  it says: (started over 2 more times, same result.)

technical.jpg

Great - now after 3 failed attempts last night to enter bank info  to "Get my payment" (due to "technical difficulties" on the IRS site), this morning I tried again and IRS no longer asked for bank info and instead informed me that a check will be sent on April 24 to my US address! 

Help, I'm here in Thailand and now have to ponder what to do in this predicamment? Even if I have my US household send it to me here, will Bangkok Bank or Krungsri take it? Or in this hi tech digital age, is there a shortcut somewhere to deposit the check into my (US or Thai) account?

check2bmailed.jpg

12 minutes ago, watthong said:

Help, I'm here in Thailand and now have to ponder what to do in this predicamment? Even if I have my US household send it to me here, will Bangkok Bank or Krungsri take it? Or in this hi tech digital age, is there a shortcut somewhere to deposit the check into my (US or Thai) account?

Go to this IRS webpage. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

Click on "Get My Payment" enter your banking info.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Go to this IRS webpage. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

Click on "Get My Payment" enter your banking info.

That's what I did both last night and this morning. Last night IRS asked for bank info, then "we" ran into "technical difficulties" (3 attempts.) This morning it no longer asked for bank info, sent me immediately to the "check to be mailed" page and the only button available for me to click on is "Exit." In other words, no option for me to do anything else, but exit.

• Like 1

I have seen a few posts which claim that if you have someone included in your tax return that has an ITIN number you will not get the check. For example, a joint return with your Thai spouse whose ITIN number was included on your return. I am wondering what evidence there is for this claim. I can't seem to locate any information on the "Get Your Payment" website. 

33 minutes ago, watthong said:

Great - now after 3 failed attempts last night to enter bank info  to "Get my payment" (due to "technical difficulties" on the IRS site), this morning I tried again and IRS no longer asked for bank info and instead informed me that a check will be sent on April 24 to my US address! 

Yes, you can get a Thai bank to cash the check at a fee of around Bt400, but it could very take 3-4 weeks to clear before the bank makes the funds available to you.   Since it's a US govt check vs a personal check the bank "might" immediately make the money available to you, but don't count on it.

And assuming your US bank offers a "Deposit from Home" type capability on their ibanking or mbanking you could deposit it that way from anywhere in the world.

22 minutes ago, Pib said:

And assuming your US bank offers a "Deposit from Home" type capability on their ibanking or mbanking you could deposit it that way from anywhere in the world.

Thanks Pib for the advice. In this fashion I guess I could get a snapshot of the check via facetime/skype with my US family and with that visual could make a deposit to my US bank via ibanking providing it features a "Deposit from Home" option?

Just now, watthong said:

Thanks Pib for the advice. In this fashion I guess I could get a snapshot of the check via facetime/skype with my US family and with that visual could make a deposit to my US bank via ibanking providing it features a "Deposit from Home" option?

Yeap.  That's basically what some people do who receive checks at their mail forwarding address in the U.S...a mail forwarding service that receives your mail and then based on your instructions you can have it remailed to you or have the mail scan so you can read it....or in the case of a check, scan the front and back of the check and then upload it to their bank's ibanking/mbanking deposit from home type capability.   

Not sure how they do the endorsement...maybe overlaying a scanned image of their signature.  Or, printing out the images provided by the mail forwarder, endorsing the image, and then rescanning for the home deposit.  Probably the later.

• Thanks 2

If you filed a joint return and one person has a SSN and one person an ITIN, neither will receive a stimulus payment.  There is one exception but that an Armed Services exception.

However, if a person with a SSN files "Married Filing Separately" but lists a person with an ITIN on the return the person with the SSN "will" probably get a stimulus payment.  I know a person who filed Married Filing Separately in 2018 (but hasn't file his 2019 return) who had his Thai wife with ITIN listed on the 2018 return and he received his stimulus payment a few days ago.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

image.png.91077a94a3b5f655328e2d322c0b0048.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jingnong said:

Yes I did!!! Go Trump make America Great Again!!! 

You might recall that Trump requested considerably less total relief in his proposal to Congress with an emphasis on corporate relief, not individual relief for citizens.

I assume you are spending your stimulus money in America like so many Americans in Thailand, which is the purpose of the relief -- to get the US economy moving again.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

You might recall that Trump requested considerably less total relief in his proposal to Congress with an emphasis on corporate relief, not individual relief for citizens.

I assume you are spending your stimulus money in America like so many Americans in Thailand, which is the purpose of the relief -- to get the US economy moving again.

Actually I’m ordering a new TV and a new laptop from the United States. I’ll probably be using it to buy a few big things from the states. I’m actually trying to buy something right now online. I want to make sure I get the right one for me this time. 

Edited by TikiT
  • Like 1

I was more interested in their reasoning. As for GinBoy2...MyITN # wife when filing a joint tax return for marriage is considered for tax purposes only an American citizen. If you just get social security you both get it. So in this particular circumstance we are excluded. Try to be a little more polite GinBy 2.