Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

I have tried several times as well using the "Get My Payment" site and it doesn't work yet.  I entered with exact information on my 1040 and have not been able to get past the first page.  It says my information does not match what is on file.  So I was reading on some forums at home as well, if you filed married jointly with your American wife, you can also try her information as well (effectively giving you 6 attempts).

I talked to a TurboTax CPA, and they said if your address on file is foreign, they will send to the foreign address.  Thats what they did in 2008 as well for the Bush stimulus checks.

I'll let you all know the results of my attempts.

OK, well no luck still.  I have tried 6 different new ways entering my address on the "Get my Payment" site (including my spouse's SS and DOB).  I don't think foreign addresses are going to work.  However see this IRS page for a couple reassuring "FAQ" answers:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#receiving

Q9. I need to file a tax return but am concerned about visiting a tax professional or local community organization in person right now to get help with my tax return. How long is the Payment available?

A9.  Payments will be made throughout the rest of 2020. If you don’t receive a Payment this year, you can also claim it by filing a tax return for 2020 next year.

And this one...

Q31. As a U.S. citizen living abroad, am I entitled to a Payment?

A31. Yes, U.S. citizens living outside the country are eligible for the Payment. Anyone eligible to file Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR is an eligible person if they have a valid SSN and can’t be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer. Nonresident aliens who file or would file Form 1040-NR or Form 1040-NR-EZ are not eligible for the Payment.

11 hours ago, connda said:

Unbelievable!

No, it's called the law

Thai's don't give you Thai social security just because you are married to a Thai !  So the US doesn't give you full benefits if your wife is not a citizen  and has not contributed to the social security fund.  If your wife is a citizen, she will have contributed to US social security either directly or indirectly due to marriage 

Sorry,  but the IRS has to be able to differentiate so they use Social Security rules as one of their benchmarks 

• Like 1

You are probably right about "foreign addresses" not working with the IRS Get My Payment govt website as US govt website tend to only accept US addresses "when trying to use an address to enter a govt site for initial use/registration/validation."   

Like if you were trying to register for a SSA online acct you can only do that if having a US address that can be validated during that registration process.  It don't necessarily have to be your latest US address especially if you moved recently but it needs to be a US address  the system can validate you lived at recently or currently.  But once you get thru that registration you can use your foreign address on your online acct.

I filed, but didn't get a refund.  I was attempting to give it my bank info, and came across this...

Fine, since I use my parent's address...otherwise, worst case scenario, it is a refundable credit on 2020, so you could take it when filing next year.

Screenshot_20200419-115112.png

10 minutes ago, moontang said:

I was attempting to give it my bank info, and came across this...

Me and many others are in this boat. I tried for three days to give my bank info, kept getting an error. Then they finally say they're sending the check. They're furious about it on Reddit. Many think there never really was a way to add the bank info, and this was just a way to delay a large batch of checks.

2 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Me and many others are in this boat. I tried for three days to give my bank info, kept getting an error. Then they finally say they're sending the check. They're furious about it on Reddit. Many think there never really was a way to add the bank info, and this was just a way to delay a large batch of checks.

It was embarrassingly idiotic of them not to accommodate or even acknowledge the third group, didn't win or lose, just tied.  But, they direct deposited payments for 80,000,000 Americans last week.  

Didn't file last two years,retired. Live in Thailand last two years.  Went to website and added my daughter and my info to IRS database on April 12th. It was accepted.  I get SS to Bangkok bank monthly. I used to get tax returns to bank of America, but don't have that account any longer, so now the IRS has my new bank info.  Checking every day but still get same message back. .................

The IRS will process this information and determine your eligibility for the Economic Impact Payment.

No further action is necessary.

If you haven't already, it's always a good idea to print a copy of your return for your records. Note: If you print your return, you'll see $1 values added to some fields. This is a requirement for the IRS to process your submission. You can ignore these amounts.                 I was told by a member here that it will probably come soon ,at least the first $1200 and maybe my daughters %500 soon afterwards, or at the same time I'm hoping. Lot of people getting checks so I'm sure it'll just take a little time/

6 hours ago, Pib said:

You are probably right about "foreign addresses" not working with the IRS Get My Payment govt website as US govt website tend to only accept US addresses "when trying to use an address to enter a govt site for initial use/registration/validation."   

Like if you were trying to register for a SSA online acct you can only do that if having a US address that can be validated during that registration process.  It don't necessarily have to be your latest US address especially if you moved recently but it needs to be a US address  the system can validate you lived at recently or currently.  But once you get thru that registration you can use your foreign address on your online acct.

A foreign address does work, but you only enter your street address and no tambon or amphur info. Also, do not use commas between your street address and no city as well.

Hope this helps.

Edited by racyrick
Left out information.

I am retired disabled US military, spouse has ITIN but we have 2 children with social security numbers. Do we qualify for the stimulus check? We filed our 2019 taxes as joint filers. Rather confusing with the military aspects as that is an exception, and the exception does not state whether that is active or retired. Furthering the confusion is the latest news that those on disability will get a check. Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, jwalus said:

I am retired disabled US military, spouse has ITIN but we have 2 children with social security numbers. Do we qualify for the stimulus check? We filed our 2019 taxes as joint filers. Rather confusing with the military aspects as that is an exception, and the exception does not state whether that is active or retired. Furthering the confusion is the latest news that those on disability will get a check. Any thoughts?

My thoughts are you will not get a payment for yourself, the wife, or kids because you filed a joint return with a person (ie., the wife) who has an ITIN.

There is an exception if you are still a member of the Armed Forces....that is, on active duty.   Once you are retire you are no longer a member of the armed forces.....yes, you still get military retirement benefits but you are no longer a member of the Armed Forces/active duty.

image.png.7ec323bfaa24a44e3f86ffe5092f70a4.png

11 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Thai's don't give you Thai social security just because you are married to a Thai !  So the US doesn't give you full benefits if your wife is not a citizen  and has not contributed to the social security fund.  If your wife is a citizen, she will have contributed to US social security either directly or indirectly due to marriage 

This has nothing to do with social security.  <removed>

This is about a one-off stimulus check issued to US citizens.  My non-US-citizen wife should not receive anything.  I'm quite aware she isn't a citizen and I'd never expect any benefits to be issued to her from the US government.  And if they were, I'd refund them. 
However - I am a US Citizen.  The stimulus check is for US Citizens and everyone should get one.  What they did is complete BS.
What is unbelievably is they are purposely culling US citizens based on their tax filing status - unless - they are military.  If should not make any difference.  That's what is f***** unbelievable. 

Edited by ubonjoe
inflammatory comment removed
19 minutes ago, connda said:

This has nothing to do with social security. <removed>

This is about a one-off stimulus check issued to US citizens.  My non-US-citizen wife should not receive anything.  I'm quite aware she isn't a citizen and I'd never expect any benefits to be issued to her from the US government.  And if they were, I'd refund them. 
However - I am a US Citizen.  The stimulus check is for US Citizens and everyone should get one.  What they did is complete BS.
What is unbelievably is they are purposely culling US citizens based on their tax filing status - unless - they are military.  If should not make any difference.  That's what is f***** unbelievable. 

All questions answered at IRS.gov spare yourself aggrevation from asking anyone here.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, connda said:

This has nothing to do with social security.  <removed>

Same thing happened back in 2008 with the Bush stimulus payments....even an active duty military joint return where one spouse had a SSN and one spouse had an ITIN didn't get a payment....neither spouse got a payment.  See below old 2008 Stars & Stripes new article (Star & Stripes is news paper focused towards the military for many decades).   Big time bitching within many active duty families occurred because of that....complaining back to Congress....can't remember if Congress corrected that back then or not.

https://www.stripes.com/news/joint-tax-returns-using-itin-ineligible-for-special-rebate-1.77057

However, at least this time around a joint return from a mixed joint return (i.e., one SSN and one ITIN) from from an Armed Forces couple the spouse with an SSN does get a stimulus payment but the spouse with the ITIN does not.  That was an exception included this time around in the stimulus payment law. 

Just so expats don't feel too bad about the confusion...

It is the same in the US

Many folks like myself are getting a check mailed to them instead of

direct deposit

Even though I get SS direct deposited here

Don't know why but many we know that had stats on file also are getting check mailed.

Could be the simplest little thing like maybe because my wife (US Citizen) is not on SS?

Or because although we file Fed Tax return every year including 2019 we have not gotten a refund since 2012

So no direct deposit there.....But again I am on SS with direct deposit so they have our info

I just think it is a very big task with hundreds of millions of citizens being paid. I think the main wave of direct deposits

are done & the rest of us will get checks mailed to us on dates determined by your Adjusted Gross Income

I posted that date schedule here for mailed checks based on income

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, racyrick said:

A foreign address does work, but you only enter your street address and no tambon or amphur info. Also, do not use commas between your street address and no city as well.

Hope this helps.

you used your thai address to register?

system accepted your thai zip code?

I'm actually amazed that any overseas resident gets the payment, let alone their spouse!

After all, isn't it designed to keep the US economy alive?

I don't think my Thai wife will be getting the ฿5k payment from the Thai government since she lives in the US, and certainly I won't.

Paying a 'stimulus' to someone who doesn't live, and hence spend the money in the country, seems insane to me

• Like 1
On 4/17/2020 at 12:12 PM, watthong said:

I just logged on "Get my payment" and IRS says I'm qualified but they need my bank information. I proceeded up to the point where I needed to check one of the two buttons: regarding the 2019 tax filing (which I did) did I get refund or owe money. Then below is the window to enter the amount owed. All these selections have asterisk ie they are required. Since I did neither I'm not sure what to do so I backed out.

Happened to me as well checked 2 days later and it gave me a date April 24th that a paper check would be mailed. No chance to put in my DD info 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm actually amazed that any overseas resident gets the payment, let alone their spouse!

After all, isn't it designed to keep the US economy alive?

I don't think my Thai wife will be getting the ฿5k payment from the Thai government since she lives in the US, and certainly I won't.

Paying a 'stimulus' to someone who doesn't live, and hence spend the money in the country, seems insane to me

An American citizen abroad is still an American citizen. That citizen could suffer the same circumstances as someone stateside so it would be difficult to exclude them. How they spend stimulus is likewise an unknown. Maybe such funds would be used to return home, help a stateside family member, by from Amazon. Maybe not, but they have made no such rules on spending.

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

That Bt5K payment is not automatic; a person has to apply for it online.   And as you've probably read most applicants were disapproved.

first of all, they are paying dead people and nobody cares.

secondly, Americans are AMERICANS, and this is a global pandemic  and maybe Americans have to be repatriated.  1200 covers the plane ticket, not that great.

question.  filed 2019 return, only had income from Thailand.  Thai address, haven't been to the States for awhile, and i don't have a mortgage (paid off), or credit cards or anything credit related to log-in to the IRS site (I tried).  

I'm guessing I'll get nothing, but it's fun to think I might.    Thoughts?  Are they really going to send a check to Thailand?  I wish I could give them a bank account in the states, but i need credit info to verify.  only have a debit card.  

3 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Same here; got $3400 on Wednesday, 04/15.

My mother, who receives SS Benefits, has yet to receive her $1200.

Supposedly, the rough order of payment distribution is first to those people who have filed 2019/2018 returns "with direct deposit info.....those people got/started receiving their payments the week of 15 Apr...I got my payment on 15 Apr since I had filed 2019 & 2018 returns.

Then they will start mailing out paper checks (underway right now) to those who didn't have direct deposit info on file which will probably take one to two months to complete the bulk.   

And then in late Apr/early May they will start paying people currently receiving social security/VA benefits but didn't file a 2019/2018 return.

I expect the IRS "first" wanted to push-out as many payments as possible based on 2019/2018 returns since tax returns would provide the most accurate info as to if a person is eligible for a payment.  Plus, the IRS has that data right in its own databases....push out these payment by direct deposit and mail. 

Then push out payments to social security folks once the IRS & SSA are able to exchange the needed data.  And also for the IRS to confirm a payment was not already pushed-out to a SS recipient based on their tax return filing resulting in a double payment which the IRS would recall from the person after a few weeks/months.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

first of all, they are paying dead people and nobody cares.

secondly, Americans are AMERICANS, and this is a global pandemic  and maybe Americans have to be repatriated.  1200 covers the plane ticket, not that great.

question.  filed 2019 return, only had income from Thailand.  Thai address, haven't been to the States for awhile, and i don't have a mortgage (paid off), or credit cards or anything credit related to log-in to the IRS site (I tried).  

I'm guessing I'll get nothing, but it's fun to think I might.    Thoughts?  Are they really going to send a check to Thailand?  I wish I could give them a bank account in the states, but i need credit info to verify.  only have a debit card.  

Yes, you will receive a payment if you have a SSN and didn't file jointly with a person who has an ITIN,  Your paper check (assuming you didn't provide any direct deposit info) will be mailed to whatever address you put on your 2019/2018 return.

Don't worry about dead people getting paid as the great bulks of such payments will be recovered from the accts they were sent to.   If the acct had a joint owner like a still living spouse the IRS will be contacting that person.  And since direct deposit are made via the Automated Clearing House (ACH) system, the rules of the ACH system allow recall of the money via ACH with 30 days when a payment was made due to fraudulent reasons/in error. Basically, the IRS recalls the money from the bank it was sent to and the bank is on the hook to send the money back which means the bank will debit the person's acct even if it puts the acct into an negative balance.    Don't worry, the IRS will get its money back even from those who have passed on to heaven or hell. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, meechai said:

It is the same in the US

Many folks like myself are getting a check mailed to them instead of

direct deposit

Even though I get SS direct deposited here

Don't know why but many we know that had stats on file also are getting check mailed.

Could be the simplest little thing like maybe because my wife (US Citizen) is not on SS?

Or because although we file Fed Tax return every year including 2019 we have not gotten a refund since 2012

So no direct deposit there.....But again I am on SS with direct deposit so they have our info

Back in my COBOL programming day we will have somewhere near the top of the logical flow chart that says tax filing yes but bank info no? then look into SSA database and see if there's any bank info there available? Yes, then pull out that bank info, etc...no, then use the mailing address on the tax form. All that extra "if yes/no then" might take a nano second or two longer in computing time,  or a week or two if involving human/manual admin. My point is, programming fundamentals aside, I don't see why the rush to send out direct deposit to some and then take weeks/months for checks to reach others. I tried to enter my bank info within 3 days when the portal opened up, and still that wasn't fast enough. Not counting the "technical difficulties" that showed up every time I submitted the bank info, 3 attempts in the course of 2 days. As this has happened to others as well, that tells me that the "submit bank info" option was simply bogus.

I wouldn't also mind if a check is coming to me when I'm in the US physically to receive it. But if one is not on US soil, ie expats obviously, then it's another hassle to a) make sure the check has securedly arrived and b) get it cashed/deposited somehow.

5 minutes ago, watthong said:

I wouldn't also mind if a check is coming to me when I'm in the US physically to receive it. But if one is not on US soil, ie expats obviously, then it's another hassle to a) make sure the check has securedly arrived and b) get it cashed/deposited somehow.

I have on my 1040 my Thai address, and its not completely correct as there was no place to enter the Tambon on the 1040 (everything else is correct though).  I'll be crossing my fingers that it will get here.  I would prefer it was deposited in America, but oh well.  

If nothing else, I'll just have to claim it in 2020 with my 2019 tax return.

23 minutes ago, SilverBlue said:

If nothing else, I'll just have to claim it in 2020 with my 2019 tax return.

I guess this means you have not filed your 2019 return yet....a return due now due by 15 July 2020 since the IRS extended this year's filing date from 15 April.   But assuming you have filed your return for 2018, your 2018 return info will be used to deposit/mail your check....expect that info has already been used or will be used over the coming weeks/few months to send you a stimulus payment based on whatever info was on your 2018 return.  A

And the IRS will mail a separate notice to you based on your 2018/2019 return stating how much and how/where the payment was sent....and actions you need to take if your didn't receive it.  Basically anyone who filed a 2018 or 2019 return and is eligible for a stimulus payment will receive it over the coming weeks/months.  

Now if you meant you'll just wait until you file next year's return which would be your 2020 return filed by 15 Apr 2021, well, that's possible if you didn't get a payment because you didn't file a 2018 or 2019 return but I'm assuming your filed a 2018 return and/or will file a 2019 return by 15 Jul 2020. 

So, since a payment will be made this year, if you don't receive it (assuming eligibility) you will have to contact the IRS to work that problem....you will not be able to simply claim the missing payment on your 2020 tax return because the IRS will have records you were paid in 2019 even if the payment got lost in space....you just never received it....it went astray somewhere.