Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

good news, everyone.  in a way.  the irs is working really, really slowly.

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Democrats abroad is writing about the foreign info glitches on the IRS portal and seems to be lobbying for fixes. 

https://www.democratsabroad.org/taxation_news

the problem they are addressing is using foreign accounts or foreign phone numbers.  my difficulty is accessing the system.  the portal is not recognizing my information.  i can't get to the "cannot determine eligibility."

it should, as my 2018 and 2019 addresses are the same, although in 2018 it was in pieces on two separate forms.  a system put together in a week won't cover all possible situations.

i submitted via freefillableforms february 17, and got an acceptance email from the irs.  returned to the website just now to check return status:

Return Accepted

Congratulations, the IRS has accepted your federal return.

Now that your return has been accepted, in 72 hours, you will be able to

track your refund at Where's My Refund? on the IRS Web site. See:

https://www.irs.gov/refunds.

You will need to enter your Social Security number, filing status and amount

of your expected refund.

although i have no refund on my return, i went to the check my refund link above and submitted with a refund amount of $0.  the results below:

Your Personal Tax Data
Social Security Number or IRS Individual Taxpayer
Identification Number: ***-**-****
Filing Status: Single
Your Expected Refund Amount:  $0.00
Refund Status Results

Your tax return is still being processed.

A refund date will be provided when available.

Edited by ChouDoufu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

says

“Eligible individual” means any individual other than a nonresident alien individual, an individual treated as a dependent, and an estate or trust.

which is not what the IRS says (U.S. residents will receive ...). I would go by the latter. But let's see what happens. It's early days.

The good lord bless the ACA but I am not sure how they'll argue that Americans abroad deserve a payment that evidently will not be spent in the US.

Edited by Why Me

We've discussed this thoroughly here before and the language of the law itself is clear: U.S. citizens are eligible for the payment without regard to where they live, if they meet the various other eligibility requirements. What counts is the text of the law, not whatever shorthand terms the IRS might casually use informally.

• Thanks 1

I am a non tax filer so this question is for anyone who’s a non filer. Or I guess anyone who’s already received it regardless of status as well. How long did it take for you to receive the payment after you received the IRS acceptance email? 

We are non files but the IRS accepted ours 3 days ago on April 14th. As a non filer I don’t have access to where’s my refund to track it but they have accepted it at the IRS. Thanks 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

good news, everyone.  in a way.  the irs is working really, really slowly.

the problem they are addressing is using foreign accounts or foreign phone numbers.  my difficulty is accessing the system.  the portal is not recognizing my information.  i can't get to the "cannot determine eligibility."

it should, as my 2018 and 2019 addresses are the same, although in 2018 it was in pieces on two separate forms.  a system put together in a week won't cover all possible situations.

i submitted via freefillableforms february 17, and got an acceptance email from the irs.  returned to the website just now to check return status:

Return Accepted

Congratulations, the IRS has accepted your federal return.

Now that your return has been accepted, in 72 hours, you will be able to

track your refund at Where's My Refund? on the IRS Web site. See:

https://www.irs.gov/refunds.

You will need to enter your Social Security number, filing status and amount

of your expected refund.

although i have no refund on my return, i went to the check my refund link above and submitted with a refund amount of $0.  the results below:

Your Personal Tax Data
Social Security Number or IRS Individual Taxpayer
Identification Number: ***-**-****
Filing Status: Single
Your Expected Refund Amount:  $0.00
Refund Status Results

Your tax return is still being processed.

A refund date will be provided when available.

I might be able to track it there as well as a non filer thanks. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, TikiT said:

I am a non tax filer so this question is for anyone who’s a non filer. Or I guess anyone who’s already received it regardless of status as well. How long did it take for you to receive the payment after you received the IRS acceptance email? 

We are non files but the IRS accepted ours 3 days ago on April 14th. As a non filer I don’t have access to where’s my refund to track it but they have accepted it at the IRS. Thanks 

Just to give some feedback on how long it took for a normal efiling, I efiled my 2019 return on 18 March using HR Block tax software (I was due a refund)....got almost immediate feedback the IRS had accepted my return....and the next day the IRS "Where Is My Refund" portal reflected that status since the IRS only updates that portal once every 24 hours between midnight and 3am ET.   I received my direct deposit refund 21 days later.  But my sister who efliled about a week before me got her refund in approx 2 weeks.  Guess it all depends on how many returns are in the queue to be processed....and that queue size changes throughout the tax filing period.  Turns out 21 days or less is what the IRS says it strives to process all efiled returns.  Last year my efile return took around 18 days.  

At around the 18 of 21 day point the Where Is My Refund portal changed my status to I Was Approved for a Refund (or similar wording) and the refund would be sent on 8 Apr.  And it did post to my bank acct on 8 Apr....21 days after efiling.  However, the Where is My Refund portal didn't change to Refund Sent until around 9 or 10 Apr....after I had already received the refund.   

Now I don't know if the IRS is going to give any special priority treatment to someone who used the Non-Fliers portal for stimulus payment purposes which is basically submitting a simple 2019 return over some one who efiled a normal/full 2019 return.   Maybe they will give priority to Non-Fliers since there shouldn't be any need to have a human or computer closely evaluate a person's simple 2019 return which is being filed because no return was required due to income below $25K.   But my gut says they will just fall in a queue line with all returns.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Just to give some feedback on how long it took for a normal efiling, I efiled my 2019 return on 18 March using HR Block tax software (I was due a refund)....got almost immediate feedback the IRS had accepted my return....and the next day the IRS "Where Is My Refund" portal reflected that status since the IRS only updates that portal once every 24 hours between midnight and 3am ET.   I received my direct deposit refund 21 days later.  But my sister who efliled about a week before me got her refund in approx 2 weeks.  Guess it all depends on how many returns are in the queue to be processed....and that queue size changes throughout the tax filing period.  Turns out 21 days or less is what the IRS says it strives to process all efiled returns.  Last year my efile return took around 18 days.  

At around the 18 of 21 day point the Where Is My Refund portal changed my status to I Was Approved for a Refund (or similar wording) and the refund would be sent on 8 Apr.  And it did post to my bank acct on 8 Apr....21 days after efiling.  However, the Where is My Refund portal didn't change to Refund Sent until around 9 or 10 Apr....after I had already received the refund.   

Now I don't know if the IRS is going to give any special priority treatment to someone who used the Non-Fliers portal for stimulus payment purposes which is basically submitting a simple 2019 return over some one who efiled a normal/full 2019 return.   Maybe they will give priority to Non-Fliers since there shouldn't be any need to have a human or computer closely evaluate a person's simple 2019 return which is being filed because no return was required due to income below $25K.   But my gut says they will just fall in a queue line with all returns.

Sounds like they’ve slowed down over the last 5 years since I last had to file a return. 

• Like 1

for those of you who did file a tax return of didn't who get SSA or VA benefits and when you check the IRS app to see where your payment is and get no results I found this in the FAQ.

Payment Status Not Available

In certain cases, the Get My Payment app will be unable to tell you the status of your payment.  You may receive this message for one of the following reasons:

• If you are not eligible for a payment (see IRS.gov on who is eligible and who is not eligible)
  • If you are required to file a tax return and have not filed in tax year 2018 or 2019.
  • If you recently filed your return or provided information through Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info on IRS.gov. Your payment status will be updated when processing is completed.
  • If you are a SSA or RRB Form 1099 recipient, SSI or VA benefit recipient – the IRS is working with your agency to issue your payment; your information is not available in this app yet.

You can check the app again to see whether there has been an update to your information.  Get My Payment data is updated once per day, so there’s no need to check back more frequently.

notice the last bullet above. I checked the SSA web site and they say end of April to expect the payment.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

either expats are getting these payments or not and they are. Do you think Democrats Abroad in their continued discussions with government people over the last several weeks would not have been told

Oh dear, are they denying payments to expats? And now Democrats also? Surely because they didn't vote for our great president, why should they get the money? Good thing some people didn't give them their foreign address or political party. ????

11 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Oh dear, are they denying payments to expats? And now Democrats also? Surely because they didn't vote for our great president, why should they get the money? Good thing some people didn't give them their foreign address or political party. ????

No. 

Expats are eligible. 

I only used that link because they are actively working on communicating about technical issues related to expats. 

Nothing to do with democrats specifically. 

Anyone that is triggered by the word democrat that's really their problem. 

There was overwhelmingly bipartisan support for this stimulus package. 

Americans abroad are all Americans regardless of party subject to the same rules. 

If you're aware of a republicans abroad site doing similar activity relevant to this topic then post it. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I belong to the category of SSA recipients that do not need to file tax returns because of low income. However, I still file tax returns every year since 2016 (no refund, no owed tax, bank info left blank). From what I have understood, SSA recipients don't have to do anything, the stimulus will come via direct deposit as my SSA monthly deposit... On the other hand, from what I learned previously that those who filed tax return in 2019 or 2018 but did not put in bank information should now do so via "Get my payment."

I just logged on "Get my payment" and IRS says I'm qualified but they need my bank information. I proceeded up to the point where I needed to check one of the two buttons: regarding the 2019 tax filing (which I did) did I get refund or owe money. Then below is the window to enter the amount owed. All these selections have asterisk ie they are required. Since I did neither I'm not sure what to do so I backed out.

So what shoud I do? To sit and wait as SS recipients with direct deposit should. Or should I go ahead with giving IRS the bank info that they are asking? If going that route should I select I owed money and the amount is 0? (I can not choose I got refund because that's not what happened, while owed 0 dollar amount is closer to the truth.)

From what I've read and researched, since my SS is deposited into my Bangkok Bank account and not a US bank account, I may not receive a check. But as with all information on the internet or government offices, one says this and the other says that. I guess, I will just wait and see. 

3 hours ago, TikiT said:

I might be able to track it there as well as a non filer thanks. 

or perhaps i jumped to the conclusion the system was working too soon?  i'm don't know how the irs databases are set up.  i won't be getting a refund, but am trying to use the 'find my refund' function.  to keep the databases smaller, do they split up returns after acceptance?  no refunds to one batch, due refunds to another?

if due a refund, the system can find a return and provide the actual status.

in not due a refund, and search the refund database, the return won't be found.  is this just a coding error, default answer 'not yet processed'?

this IS the irs, after all.  i'm sure their programming is all still done in COBOL on magnetic tape with Y2K fixes still on the date fields.

1 hour ago, watthong said:

I belong to the category of SSA recipients that do not need to file tax returns because of low income. However, I still file tax returns every year since 2016 (no refund, no owed tax, bank info left blank). From what I have understood, SSA recipients don't have to do anything, the stimulus will come via direct deposit as my SSA monthly deposit... On the other hand, from what I learned previously that those who filed tax return in 2019 or 2018 but did not put in bank information should now do so via "Get my payment."

I just logged on "Get my payment" and IRS says I'm qualified but they need my bank information. I proceeded up to the point where I needed to check one of the two buttons: regarding the 2019 tax filing (which I did) did I get refund or owe money. Then below is the window to enter the amount owed. All these selections have asterisk ie they are required. Since I did neither I'm not sure what to do so I backed out.

So what shoud I do? To sit and wait as SS recipients with direct deposit should. Or should I go ahead with giving IRS the bank info that they are asking? If going that route should I select I owed money and the amount is 0? (I can not choose I got refund because that's not what happened, while owed 0 dollar amount is closer to the truth.)

From looking at below youtube video of what you are seeing and some IRS Q&As it appears the questions you are being asked regarding how much of a refund or how much money you owed is really part of the identity verification process in order for them to accept direct deposit info.  But for someone like yourself who neither got a refund or owed Uncle Sam money you are in a Catch 22 situation, no man's land, etc.  You would think the IRS would have also offered a  third option/answer along the line of Didn't receive or owe money. 

image.png.3dfcafcca477c2379df0ed4b8c92d61b.png

3 hours ago, Pib said:

It turned out to only be 3 days! Mine just hit our US bank account this afternoon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, TikiT said:

It turned out to only be 3 days! Mine just hit our US bank account this afternoon. 

What do you mean by 3 days only?   Specifically how did you get it in 3 days?  Did you use one of the new IRS portals....did it just show up without you doing anything....maybe based just on your SS pension....what specifically did you do to get it in 3 days?      

• Confused 1
25 minutes ago, Pib said:

What do you mean by 3 days only?   Specifically how did you get it in 3 days?  Did you use one of the new IRS portals....did it just show up without you doing anything....maybe based just on your SS pension....what specifically did you do to get it in 3 days?      

Three days after the IRS accepted mine. I was looking because the IRS accepted mine 3 days ago but it’s ok I just received it this afternoon about an hour ago but I appreciate it thanks. I don’t check the US bank as often as my Thai bank account anymore. And it’s a VA pension 100% permanent and total. My wife gets Social Security though. 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

Edited by TikiT
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Pib said:

I don’t know if I mentioned it but I had actually applied for it last week and the IRS accepted it 3 days ago. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, TikiT said:
1 hour ago, Pib said:

I don’t know if I mentioned it but I had actually applied for it last week and the IRS accepted it 3 days ago.

Gee, we can ask till we turn blue but it looks like the answer won't be forth coming, dun't it? What exactly transpired in "I applied/requested and IRS accepted"? There is no such thing as a blue button/bar on the IRS website that says "Apply for my stimulus payment," click here. My guess is that he went into the "Non-filers bank information" and gave his bank info. That must have triggered the deposit that arrived 3 days later. Save our breath.

53 minutes ago, TikiT said:

Three days after the IRS accepted mine. I was looking because the IRS accepted mine 3 days ago but it’s ok I just received it this afternoon about an hour ago but I appreciate it thanks. I don’t check the US bank as often as my Thai bank account anymore. And it’s a VA pension 100% permanent and total. My wife gets Social Security though. 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

I'm still not clear on how you filed.  So, this was "not" a normal 2019 efiling like using Turbotax, TaxAct, FreeFile....like a person would do even if COVID and stimulus payments was not even happening. 

Instead, you used the new IRS portal in above link because you never had a need to file a 2018/2019 return?

Edited by Pib
On 4/15/2020 at 8:52 PM, Pib said:

OK, what about you folks with Bangkok Bank accts which you have used for past IRS refunds, SSA monthly payments, etc., any of you got a stimulus payment to your Bangkok Bank acct, repeat, Bangkok Bank acct?  

Just bumping my earlier post....anyone got their IRS 2019 refund OR stimulus payment to their Bangkok Bank acct, repeat, Bangkok Bank?   

Don't care about any monthly reoccurring govt payments to Bangkok Bank like social security, mil retirement, VA, etc.; just a 2019 refund or stimulus payment.

36 minutes ago, Pib said:

Just bumping my earlier post....anyone got their IRS 2019 refund OR stimulus payment to their Bangkok Bank acct, repeat, Bangkok Bank?   

No stimulus payment yet. Reading the IRS site this morning and it said later this month for those that did not need to file a return.

If I get it I will certainly do a post about it here.

If you file your 2019 taxes in USA as a Married filing a Jointly and you have a Social Security # and your wife has an ITN number you do not qualify for the stimulus payment. Any idea why the IRS state this. What is the reasoning. My wife for tax reasons is considered a US citizen. .???

Another reason why a person may not have received their stimulus payment yet.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/where-is-stimulus-check_l_5e98abc6c5b6ead14009cbdb

3. You filed taxes using a major tax prep service.

Even if you did recently file taxes, the IRS still may not have your banking information on file. Customers of major tax preparation services, including TurboTax, H&R Block and Jackson Hewitt, have complained that they did not receive their stimulus payments as expected.

This issue affects taxpayers who received an advance on their refunds or who had tax preparation fees taken out of their refunds. In these cases, the companies actually received the refunds first; after the companies deducted the necessary fees, the rest of the funds were then distributed to customers. That means the IRS had temporary bank accounts on file for 2019 that were created by the tax preparation companies.

It’s estimated that up to 21 million people could be affected by this issue. If you think you may be one of them, visit the IRS’s Get My Payment portal to enter your correct bank account details.

• Haha 1