Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

This is from irs.gov:

U.S. residents will receive the Economic Impact Payment of $1,200 for individual or head of household filers, and $2,400 for married filing jointly if they are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a work eligible Social Security number with adjusted gross income up to:

• $75,000 for individuals
  • $112,500 for head of household filers and
  • $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns

I interpret U.S. Resident as someone who actually lives in the US or puts a US Address on his/her Form 1040?  Therefore, if one puts a Thai address on the 1040 then he/she would not be eligible?  Of course I am thinking logically and it might not matter?  

• Thanks 1

PRESS RELEASES
Treasury, IRS to Launch “Get My Payment” Web App Next Week

April 10, 2020
WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of the Treasury and IRS will launch the “Get My Payment” web application next week. The FREE app—which will be found at IRS.gov—will allow taxpayers who filed their tax return in 2018 or 2019 but did not provide their banking information on their return to submit direct deposit information. Once they do, they will get their Economic Impact Payments in their bank accounts quickly, instead of waiting for a check to arrive in the mail. “Get My Payment” will also allow taxpayers to track the status of their payment.

“Get My Payment” is an online app that will display on any desktop, phone or tablet. It does not need to be downloaded from an app store.

For taxpayers to track the status of their payment, they will need to enter basic information in the “Get My Payment” app:

• Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Mailing address

Taxpayers who want to add their bank account information to speed receipt of their payment will also need to provide the following additional information:

• Their Adjusted Gross Income from their most recent tax return submitted, either 2019 or 2018
  • The refund or amount owed from their latest filed tax return
  • Bank account type, account and routing numbers

Treasury and the IRS encourage taxpayers to collect this information now, through their tax preparers or other means, so they can submit this information in the app as soon as it is launched and get their money fast.

Americans who did not file a tax return in 2018 or 2019 can use “Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here” to submit basic personal information to quickly and securely receive their Economic Impact Payments.

Americans who filed 2018 or 2019 tax returns with direct deposit information or receive Social Security do not need to take action. They will automatically receive payment in their bank accounts.

“Get My Payment” cannot update bank account information after an Economic Impact Payment has been scheduled for delivery. To help protect against potential fraud, the tool also does not allow people to change bank account information already on file with the IRS. The IRS does not initiate contact with taxpayers by email, text messages or social media channels to request personal or financial information. We urge taxpayers to be on the lookout for scammers and email phishing attempts about the COVID-19 and Economic Impact Payments.

Please visithttps://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm972 for updates on the launch of the “Get My Payment” app.

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm972

Edited by khwaibah
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Earliest would be end of next week.  I believe at this stage all the Bank Accounts of who received refunds in 2019 or 2018 will have to verified(some call it Ping the account).  If the accounts are verified then the payments can be initiated.  We are talking about 50 to 60 Million accounts.  The Federal Government is not known to have the most up to date IT systems so I doubt anything will happen quickly.  

The first payments are suppose go to SSA or SSI recipients, low income filers, etc, etc,  Still confusion as to if Overseas Tax filters are eligible?  The IRS states “US Residents who filed a tax return”.  I do not know if one puts an address in Thailand on form 1040 will get the stimulus payments or not?  We will just have to see.  

Yes, I think the first checks will go to the lowest income people according to a chart I saw somewhere.  It looked like with my income (also rather low) I would not see a check until sometime in the middle of May.  If you have direct deposit information filed with the IRS, the check should go right to your bank account.  

I have to pay quarterly estimated taxes due to work and investment income and since I also tend to owe a bit more in taxes when filing, bank details could not be added on my 1040 when I filed for 2018 or 2019.

If you're in the same position, keep your eye out for IRS web portal scheduled to be up in about a week where you can upload your bank information. The address on my 1040 is here in Thailand and anything is better than having a paper check mailed here. 

This is what is on the IRS website from Link.    https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments                                                                                                     

If you receive these benefits, we already have your information and you will receive $1,200. Do not use this application if you receive:

• Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), or survivor benefits
  • Railroad Retirement and Survivor Benefits
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Only after they have gone to a website which will collect their information in regards to banking institution or confirming their mailing address.  I just received an e-mail from Turbo tax indicating i do not need to worry as my direct deposit information was in the system since I had filed my taxes this year already.

That is not accurate.  You only have to go to the website if you were eligible to NOT file a return AND do not get SS.  Confirming the address, maybe oddly, by a letter to your address AFTER the checks have been sent.

In my case I already filed 2018 and 2019 but in both cases I owed money so there is no direct deposit information.  Using the TurboTax stimulus filing did not work for me since my taxes with already filed.  I will start by waiting for the SS direct deposit and if I don't get it I will check the actual IRS direct information web site (not the one they currently direct you to which is actually TurboTax) when it becomes available later this month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you:

(1a) filed owing tax electronically from abroad (married or not with or without dependents) or

(1b) filed electronically owed a refund (married.....) and

(2) had a foreign address on your tax return to indicate your tax residence and

(3) if you indicated your payment be debited to your US-based account, which account information you provided when you filed, and

(4) confirm the IRS debit in your designated bank account,

then you should get the correct COVID-19 payment paid directly to your bank account of record.

This should happen even though you receive social security payments and if you are married to a foreigner (most don't qualify) does not.

Edited by Mapguy
additional fact added
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Earliest would be end of next week.  I believe at this stage all the Bank Accounts of who received refunds in 2019 or 2018 will have to verified(some call it Ping the account).  If the accounts are verified then the payments can be initiated.  We are talking about 50 to 60 Million accounts.  The Federal Government is not known to have the most up to date IT systems so I doubt anything will happen quickly.  

The first payments are suppose go to SSA or SSI recipients, low income filers, etc, etc,  Still confusion as to if Overseas Tax filters are eligible?  The IRS states “US Residents who filed a tax return”.  I do not know if one puts an address in Thailand on form 1040 will get the stimulus payments or not?  We will just have to see.  

My accountant says if you get SS and have a direct deposit to your bank,I will get it.

My concern was that I filed using my Thai address .  He said ,No worries! 

I have a US bank,direct deposit. 

Thanks Kalsall for bringing this up! I will share it with my kids ! My daughter was forced to close her restaurant like so many others. She's using creative ways to market, take out orders.

My son survived the first wave of layoffs at the Jeep dealership but unfortunately he didn't on the next,so he filed for unemployment, ! Hopefully they can get several weeks of gas with my contribution!

Oh,ya, I want to give a  special shout out to China, from this American!

Thanks for all your transparency, Not !

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

My $1,200 showed up in my U.S. bank (where I had my tax refund direct deposited) over the weekend.  It's listed as "pending," but I think that's because it has to be processed manually by a Mon-to-Fri drone.

While a U.S. citizen abroad may receive “direct deposit” of SSA benefit payments through Bangkok Bank New York, it cannot be assumed that the IRS will automatically use the same method for direct deposit of IRS Economic Impact Payments. The IRS requires a U.S. bank account to request direct deposit.

“The quickest way to receive your refund is by direct deposit to a checking or savings account, including an individual retirement arrangement. However, you need a U.S. account to request direct deposit. If you do not have a U.S. account, or do not choose to receive your refund via direct deposit, a check will be mailed to the address you provided on your tax return.”

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/helpful-tips-for-effectively-receiving-a-tax-refund-for-taxpayers-living-abroad

If one does not have a U.S. bank account, opening a TransferWise Borderless Account is an alternative; I have successfully used one to receive my 2019 tax refund payment from the IRS.

Another option is to open a bank account with American Citizens Abroad Member State Department Federal Credit Union (ACA-Member/SDFCU Account). You must be a member of ACA, which costs only $70 per year – $55 per year if you’re over 65. The ACA-Members/SDFCU account is simple to open and maintain. Everything can be done online. The most up-to-date EMV secure (Chip enabled) debit and credit cards are available. 

• You can reside full-time or part-time abroad and still qualify.
  • You don’t have to have a residential address in the US.
  • A non-US spouse can be a joint owner of the account of the American member, but cannot hold his or her own account.

“COVID-19 UPDATE: An ACA-Member/SDFCU Account can assist individuals who need to provide the IRS with a US-based bank account for the CARES Act recovery rebate payments.  With an SDFCU account you will have the bank account and routing information necessary to provide the IRS for processing the rebate. Simply opening an SDFCU account does not guarantee receiving a direct deposit of the rebate without further action to provide the IRS with the information. The IRS, as noted in its recent memo (IR-2020-61 Economic impact payments: What you need to know), is currently developing a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online so that the IRS can process payments. If you open an SDFCU account you will have this account and routing information available to provide the IRS.”

SDFCU is expat friendly....I joined last year using my Thailand address.   But unless you just want to join the ACA as one of the ways to be eligible to join SDFCU, I instead would just joint the American Consumer Council (ACC) at $8/year or $15 for a lifetime membership.   In fact, when applying for a SDFCU acct the ACC is the one SDFCU offers on page one of their application.   

Once I decided to apply for a SDFCU acct I decided I wanted to apply with a ACC membership number in hand, although with the SDFCU application you just agreed you will  join the ACC.  Anyway, I went to the ACC website, jointed online with a $15 lifetime membership, within the hour received my membership number/certificate.  Then when I applied for my SDFCU I just uploaded that ACC membership certificate as some of the application docs.

https://www.sdfcu.org/membership

image.png.ef6449523d63c230070449f9a57bc083.png

On 4/12/2020 at 1:25 PM, nitehawk42 said:

Retired American living in Hua Hin.

I filed my IRS 1040R in January using USA address and received a refund electronically 3 weeks later.

No word on Tax relief deposit yet (12 April 2020).

Mine just showed as scheduled deposit this morning for 15 April avail.

I have not received anything. I also have never had a tax refund directly deposited (though my SS is on auto deposit) and this is likely why.

Got an email from Democrats abroad with the following useful info:

"An important milestone was reached in the development of the IRS’s delivery infrastructure for the CARES Act Recovery Rebates.  On Friday, April 10 the IRS made public an online tool for non-filers to register for CARES Act aid....which is called “Non-filers: Enter Information Here".....Despite our previous advice to Treasury and the IRS, the system does not currently accommodate non-U.S. bank account numbers.  We again have written to Treasury Secretary Mnuchin and IRS Commissioner Rettig making the case for, among other things, an urgent alteration to the system to ensure that aid can reach Americans living abroad in their local bank account.”

and

"The IRS announcement also suggests a second online tool will be made available this coming week for taxpayers who have filed but need to provide the IRS with bank account details for the direct deposit of the Recovery Rebate.  It will be called “Get my payment” and we will publish information about it as soon as it becomes available.  As noted, we have been in contact with Treasury, the IRS, and Congress about the need for this second online tool to also accommodate non-US bank accounts. "

Apparently the "Non-filers: Enter Information Here" tool is on www.IRS.gov

48 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have not received anything. I also have never had a tax refund directly deposited (though my SS is on auto deposit) and this is likely why.

It seems like you have been in Asia for years by your posts. Why would you need to file? Do you make more than 80k a year? WIs there any benefit of filing?

10 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

It seems like you have been in Asia for years by your posts. Why would you need to file? Do you make more than 80k a year? WIs there any benefit of filing?

I have self employment income.  So even though exempt from income tax (foreign income exemption) I still have to pay self employment tax.

• Like 1

As my user name implies, I am from the Show Me state. Some folks believe that the nickname is appropriate and say that since Missourians are slow, they must be shown everything. Well, with this covid fiasco they might have a point. 

I have received my social security retirement check for the last three years and it is deposited via New York into my Bangkok Bank account. Additionally, I have not filed taxes the last few years as I am well below the minimum requirement.

One alphabet news station says this about the recovery check and the other gobbledygook news outlet says something else. Regardless, throughout the years posters like Sheryl and others have hit the nail on the head regarding social security benefits here in Thailand. So what should I do? I'm assuming that I wait until the latest website 'Get Your Payment' comes online and then signup.

Signed,

A confused Missourian...

1 hour ago, missoura said:

I have received my social security retirement check for the last three years and it is deposited via New York into my Bangkok Bank account. Additionally, I have not filed taxes the last few years as I am well below the minimum requirement.

Since you receive social security and apparently below the amount needed to file a tax return you should get a $1200 transfer into your Bangkok Bank account via New York according to everything I have read on the SSA and IRS websites.

They are going to pay them based upon the SSA-1099 form that is sent to the IRS every year and they will be paid into the account that your SSA benefits are paid into.

• Thanks 2

Ah!  Details, details and details!  Here are some more!

If you are married to a Thai or other foreign wife and file a joint US return with a foreign address (used normally to confirm foreign residency) and the IRS does not have any bank information for you, then you most likely will be mailed a check to your foreign address on your return at a latter date.  You are not exactly in a primary category to get an early hand-out.

If you don't file a US tax return with your bank information but receive a social security monthly payment by direct deposit on a regular basis to your bank (in the USA or abroad), the IRS can use that bank account information.  This no doubt will take longer.  HOWEVER, unless your spouse (not a US citizen) qualifies for it on her own (yes, many none-citizens do qualify for US social security but many do not) and receives social security in her own right with his or her bank information, then you will NOT receive a COVID-19 crisis spousal hand-out.  How to get it has not, to my knowledge been revealed.  It is basically a relatively small number of cases.

I close by asking what in hell good or useful to bolstering the US economy -- the purpose of distributing these handouts --is giving money to foreigners living abroad?

Edited by Mapguy
clarity