Thai provinces ban alcohol sales ahead of New Year to curb coronavirus spread

rooster59

Thai provinces ban alcohol sales ahead of New Year to curb coronavirus spread

2020-04-11T084234Z_1_LYNXNPEG3A06E_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND-CASES.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A woman wearing a protective mask lines up outside a liquour shop after Bangkok and several other provinces announced a 10-day ban on alcohol sale starting April 10 during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Bangkok, Thailand, April 9, 2020. REUTERS/Jorge Silva/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Most of Thailand's provinces have banned sales of alcoholic beverages, heeding a central government call to discourage festive celebrations for the Thai New Year as the country seeks to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

Thailand is among Southeast Asian countries that are cancelling or scaling back traditionally boisterous Buddhist New Year celebrations amid the global pandemic.

The Thai New Year or water splashing Songkran celebrations are usually held April 13-15, but this year the government has postponed the holidays that would normally be taken then.

A 10-day ban on the sale of wine, beer and spirits in the capital Bangkok went into effect on Friday. Some 47 of Thailand's 77 provinces have implemented bans to April 15 or until the end of the month, the interior ministry said in a statement.

Bangkok, which typically closes off streets during April for traditional water fights, has called off the activities and urged businesses and malls to do likewise. The government has also urged Thais to refrain from travelling back to their hometowns as they would normally do for the New Year.

On Saturday, Thailand reported 45 new coronvirus cases and two deaths, bringing its total to 2,518 confirmed infections and 35 deaths.

(Reporting by Orathai Sriring and Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Edwina Gibbs)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-12
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sale of alcoholic drinks targeted nationwide in battle against Covid-19

By THE NATION

800_53d2eb38a1324e5.jpg

Forty-seven provinces nationwide have ordered the closure of shops selling alcohol to contain the escalating Covid-19 outbreak, according to an Interior Ministry report.

They have different end dates of the closure. For example, Si Sa Ket has banned sale of alcohol from April 12 to April 30, while in Songkhla it is from April 12 to 19.

Bangkok has banned the sale of all alcohol from April 10 to 20, Pathum Thani from April 11-20 and Samut Prakarn from April 11-20.

Others with similar bans are Sakon Nakhon (March 31-April 16), Chiang Mai (April 10-20), Rayong (April 3-15), Buri Ram (April 2-30), Mudaharn (April 6-30), Suphan Buri (April 4-30), Nakhon Pathom (April 2-30), Lamphun (April 1-30) and Surin (April 2-30).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385803

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-12

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petermik said:

You are not compelled to read any of them....just ignore :thumbsup:

Same like you ignore ridiculous things that is in your face every single day for a week. Right, never seen that happen.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The reason it has been banned to help remove the temptation for people to congregate during what would have been Songkran. 

hmmmm  thought it was conjugate .    without whiskey there's gonna be a lot less of that i would imagine   ????

On 4/12/2020 at 7:41 AM, Chang_paarp said:

Can anyone offer a scientific reason for this decision?  I am struggling to understand the logic behind these bans. I know the "being seen to do something" reaction, but this does seem to be a little beyond the usual level of incomprehensible.

as far as I know this bllody place is the ONLY country to ban sale of alcohol !!!

• Like 2

i really fail to see the possible efficacy of this decision. it would be better to let people relax and enjoy their drink. in any case those we really need to drink would have done forward purchases to cover this period of ban. so either way i do not see the ban working.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

A secondary goal, I think, is to prevent alcohol-fueled lapses of judgment, which serves two obvious purposes.

That is my primary goal - lol

Why couldn't they give us 24 hour notice - boo hoo