Clusters at boxing stadium, entertainment venue 'same virus species'

Jonathan Fairfield

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

“We are currently tracking various species. If possible, we would like to know about southern species especially when people return from Indonesia to see the direction of the outbreak.”

smells of a right mess

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Something's not right there, I'm not entirely sure what it is but if L-type came from Wuhan and was circulating in January then it didn't only come from Italy ????

Perhaps something got lost in translation from the original Chinese

no kidding 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Something's not right there, I'm not entirely sure what it is but if L-type came from Wuhan and was circulating in January then it didn't only come from Italy ????

I agree, I have read it 4 times and still cant make sense of it.

There are 2 strains and they are same same but different. And each strain may or may not of come from China, Italy or Singapore.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

... I'll see your 2 types and rise to 3 - South Chaina Morning Post from yesterday:

Deadly coronavirus comes in three variants, researchers find

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3079491/deadly-coronavirus-comes-three-variants-researchers-find 

Edited by jollyhangmon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

COVID-19 boxing stadium cluster not result of carriers from Italy

1280px-Prof.Yong_.jpg

Thai geneticists have refuted conjecture that asymptomatic coronavirus carriers from Italy may have been responsible for infecting boxing fans and visitors to a Thonglor area pub.

According to Dr. Yong Pooworavan, a well-known virologist attached to the faculty of medical science at Chulalongkorn University, the scientists conducted genetic sequencing of several COVID-19 samples from patients and found more than 30 varieties, including those from Wuhan, Italy, Singapore and Indonesia.

The findings show that the initial COVID-19 outbreak in Thailand in January was caused by the L, or Leucine strain, from the Chinese city of Wuhan, whereas the widespread infections in March, originating in the Lumpini boxing stadium and a Thonglor area pub in Bangkok, were caused by the S or Serine strain of the novel coronavirus.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/covid-19-boxing-stadium-cluster-not-result-of-carriers-from-italy/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-04-13

45 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

The deflection was a Thai Doctor claiming the superspreader at the boxing match in Bangkok had connections to, wait for it ... ITALY.

They never identified who the spreader was but in print and in print in Thai newspapers this cluck said it was the virulent Italian Strain. So that is what the Thai public got. They shut him up pretty quick but just like Anutin, he was never punished or called on the carpet about his Bullpucky. That tells you what you need to know

The story was  the virus was introduced to a so called "super spreader" after a relative arrived back from Italy. Suddenly 50 people were infected at a boxing event and these have gone on to cause a rocket in cases in Thailand.  ---- so without any science to back it up that is what Thai papers got.

Dirty Evil Farangs ... sic

Not the first case of this new xenophobia, unfortunately. For the first time in my four decades in Thailand, this farang gets the feeling when I'm out that people irrationally don't like me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

To put it simply the cause of the outbreak at the boxing stadium was an Army General who refused to close it down!

Anything else is pure deflection.

Correct, it is an attempt to stop finger pointing at the military is all......

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I though that this whole horrible stinking mess started in Wuhan. Which happens to be Huebae Province, China

A city with a population of 11 Million people where a deadly Virus was allowed to be transmitted, a City which was the main site of departure for Tourists to Thailand from China.

IMO ( but I am not a Virologist ) is that there is only One Virus, and thats the One that was released from Wuhan.

But, Italy, Singapore, Indonesia, dirty farangs who are not from China...

4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

They mutate ... but all roads lead to Wuhan.

S and L both came from Wuhan itself.  S, the milder one, was spread throughout China at the beginning of Chinese New Year. L then arose in Wuhan after the lock down but may have been spread to the rest of the world by air traffic, which WHO said don't block.

Kind of like perfect timing, a little too perfect...

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's garbled. I've seen the same garble between S and L elsewhere. Once a piece of information is garbled on the internet it spreads like a virus.

4 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

To put it simply the cause of the outbreak at the boxing stadium was an Army General who refused to close it down!

Anything else is pure deflection.

Agreed and there will be s--t to the fan for sure, this will end and when it does there will  be some unanswerable questions for a few, it should not have been a request or recommendation to not hold the event, but on order from above, that is what will need to be answered.

• Like 1

Whoever wrote this article is mixing things up.

If you want to write an article that clarifies between L-type and S-type, there is one thing to ensure: do not mix things up and contradict yourself

The author mixed things up. What an imbecile.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

A lot of chinese people go to Italy on holiday, the virus can mutate and change a bit and then come to Bangkok brought by a Thai who was on holiday or by an Italian. The New York problem was brought in from Italy

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, moe666 said:

A lot of chinese people go to Italy on holiday, the virus can mutate and change a bit and then come to Bangkok brought by a Thai who was on holiday or by an Italian. The New York problem was brought in from Italy

"The New York problem was brought it from Italy".

Please provide any scientific data to validate your claim. Why Italy and not Spain, France, UK, China,Iran etc?

I should remind you that both US and Thailand had their first case of this virus before Italy.

I would not be surprised if the virus was already spreading in the US way before Europe, especially looking at the numbers.

1 hour ago, Anton9 said:

"The New York problem was brought it from Italy".

Please provide any scientific data to validate your claim. Why Italy and not Spain, France, UK, China,Iran etc?

I should remind you that both US and Thailand had their first case of this virus before Italy.

I would not be surprised if the virus was already spreading in the US way before Europe, especially looking at the numbers.

Washington and California mostly derive from Asia with milder forms.

New York and the East Coast are mostly from Europe.

The US 'curve' is significantly behind European curves time wise so  'already spreading in the US way before Europe' is probably from Chinese propaganda.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/study-finds-most-cases-of-covid-19-in-nyc-came-from-europe-other-places-in-us/2368010/