Thailand job losses may hit 10 mln if virus outbreak drags on

webfact

39 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:
17 hours ago, anterian said:

what about the millions of undocumented jobs which have ceased.

Yes, a very valid point. There was lots of black income around especially in the entertainment areas that never gets recorded which supports the families in rural Thailand.

And, ironically, those same people who have paid no tax will be those who demand the government use those taxes to bail them out.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kentrot said:

SIGN OF THE TIMES:

Here in Jomtien - the number of "For-Sale's" is over 7,500 and rising. And prices are dropping to half. And yet there are still indications that developers refuse to leave one blade of grass un-turned . Condo projects are going up like "CANCER" taking over it's host.

This reminds me of the song "Pave Paradise, put up a parking lot". We will be / are already  looking at a ghost town of empty shells.

My opinion is --- this is what rich people -- Thai's , Chinese, Russians, .. --  do with their spare cash rather than put it in financial institutions that are more risky.

What a f*&%^$g eyesore of empty concrete shells this area has become.

MAP- showing 30 of 7,504 properties for sale.

Untitled.jpg.6570b8fd7cebb728e3cab05fa0852d0a.jpg

It was already a concrete monstrosity of empty units .. it will be a mass of empty shells

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Not a good vibe at all. After unemployment comes crime and civil unrest. 

Depends on the government and what they will do to help . If little or nothing there will be no doubt of an increase in crime by desperate starving people and those who cannot repay loans and mortgages .   Vehicle repossessions will soar . 

A massage of the virus stats would be the easy way out if they dare  or an urgently needed vaccine  .  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bundooman said:

I'm sorry, I just don't get this viewpoint.

I don't know anyone who has this virus and I don't know anyone who knows somebody else that has It, and I, like many of us, have daily access to a whole range of Thai people through work, Facebook, Line, Email, my Thai family and their friends, families, etc., etc..

Social media would be the first to jump onto and highlight increasing cases of people dying in the streets, overcrowded hospitals, family members swamping the media with reports of Covid19 in their households, doctors or nurses anonymously leaking panic statements, concerns, exhaustion, mental and physical issues, overwhelming cases of bodies piling up at the temples, hugely increased activity of funerals and a myriad of other significant indicators that "the statistics don't add up"!

But there aren't such indicators, are there? If there are - why isn't this site flooded with anecdotal incidences of the country being overwhelmed - anywhere?

Pure nonsense speculation.

because there is no virus.....it is a MEDIA driven agenda....they are having to list all deaths as CV....but that is exposing the complete lack of deaths from other usual causes, they have BANNED any media outlet from exposing the link of the unmentionable 1V g ..... PLUS beware the BILL GATES Vaxx program ....those are the REAL danger !! this is all a MASK & a practice run for the Immenent Radiation Sickness' when they switch their new upgrade on and 60MHZ hits people. and then ENFORCE injections of the new ID2020 tracking system with annual injections thereafter containing all sorts of poisons to steralise/reduce the population  (they) being the Elite Bankers!!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And, ironically, those same people who have paid no tax will be those who demand the government use those taxes to bail them out.

Some self-employed might get caught out like that in the UK. because of under-declaring previously.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Hope they have plenty savings in the bank and haven't squandered it all on big cars and smart phones.

Times are about to get tough! 

Should not be worry about this category but the ones with day jobs and earnings what take them to the next few days, the ones that will lose their employment and will not find another one for months...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Hope they have plenty savings in the bank and haven't squandered it all on big cars and smart phones.

Times are about to get tough! 

Don't worry too much,  mate.   Thais are very resilient and will survive just fine.

19 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

No common Thai has money in the bank for a rainy day. 

You could have fooled me!

Most thais in my village have at least a smart phone. Many have sports cars and pickup trucks as well. 

18 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So, 10 million will lose jobs (25%+ of the population) due to less than 1 days death toll on the road ? Something does not add up there or someone is not being honest somewhere about something

I think all governments are not being honest regarding the figures of the infections and deaths.

16 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

Why do we need them? IF there's no cases and no deaths, then why all the rules and regulations?

Control, Control, Control. Their masters in China demand control.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bundooman said:

I'm sorry, I just don't get this viewpoint.

I don't know anyone who has this virus and I don't know anyone who knows somebody else that has It, and I, like many of us, have daily access to a whole range of Thai people through work, Facebook, Line, Email, my Thai family and their friends, families, etc., etc..

Social media would be the first to jump onto and highlight increasing cases of people dying in the streets, overcrowded hospitals, family members swamping the media with reports of Covid19 in their households, doctors or nurses anonymously leaking panic statements, concerns, exhaustion, mental and physical issues, overwhelming cases of bodies piling up at the temples, hugely increased activity of funerals and a myriad of other significant indicators that "the statistics don't add up"!

But there aren't such indicators, are there? If there are - why isn't this site flooded with anecdotal incidences of the country being overwhelmed - anywhere?

Pure nonsense speculation.

I have to agree with this.

my wife and family have a huge network all around thailand and so far nobody has been sick or know of any who have been sick.

everyone is scared thou and talk about it daily.
I live next to a temple where funerals for our area are held. Has been only one in the past month from natural old age as normal

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

Savings? What the hell is that? Thais don't just need a regular income to live on. They need it to pay down the monthly debt payments for things they bought but could not afford. This will lead (has led) to crime and social chaos. Lock your doors and buy a gun.

farangs not allowed to buy guns  the general not want a farang to shoot a Thai no matter what

1 hour ago, kentrot said:

Here in Jomtien - the number of "For-Sale's" is over 7,500 and rising. And prices are dropping to half.

Even if they gave me money, I would never become the owner of a condo in Pattaya or Bangkok or in a city that lives largely on tourism.
When we see how they "work" we know that we will buy sh*t that will fall apart very quickly.
Not to mention the balconies glued to the walls which are unable to support three pots of flowers.

Anyway, buying real estate in Thailand is playing the game of wholesalers of various drugs.
Most of these constructions are financed by dirty money.

43 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I bet the proposed mega Condos The Solaire on Thappraya and Luciano on Thepprasit will quietly be forgotten. Sad for anyone who made a deposit.

this will have happened all over the world, I was just reading this morning an article from a Canadian mayor of one county who indicated that 1000's of folks won't or can't pay their land tax or their mortgage and businesses are closed and won't be paying their land tax either.

This will affect Billions of people all over the world.

34 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Some self-employed might get caught out like that in the UK. because of under-declaring previously.

Here it is much worse than that.
There is never any declaration to the competent authorities.
Anyone with 1 screwdriver and a wrench can set up their own business and declare themselves a highly qualified electrician;
when i see the mostly new vehicles of the itinerant traders who keep idling in my village and who painfully manage to sell for 100 baht of products, but where does the money which was used to buy this pickup of 600 or 700 thousand baht?
In addition no market study; no return on investment;
the purchase price and maintenance of the pickup are never taken into account in the sale price of the products they offer.
Ditto with these tens of thousands of boom boom hotels built all over Thailand.
When they have a filling rate of 20 to 30% they think they are rich; with the money collected the night before they go to party at the local karaoke;
the money invested in the construction of all these small houses with airco and flat screen Tv is never included in the nightly sale price.
How do you want them to fare at the slightest economic or health problem?

3 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I feel desperately sorry for many Thais now. Unlike in many Western countries, the economic effects are immediate & devastating.

I dont see any soup kitchens opening up or Thais being flung out the streets in droves. 
everyone in my project is still going to work in their fancy cars.

• Like 1

Just now, Liverpoolfan said:

I dont see any soup kitchens opening up or Thais being flung out the streets in droves. 
everyone in my project is still going to work in their fancy cars.

A week or two ago there were queues in Pattaya for rice/food.

Also in places like Morchit & Ekamai masses of people heading back upcountry having lost their jobs.

You might start seeing less fancy cars in such places in the coming months & years.

There will be a lull, and then the economic s**t****m will really start!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Lockdown policy is a world wide disaster. 

We have yet to see what the real Itinerary is? Gates pushing his ID2020 or something more sinister - if that is possible! :shock1:

• Like 2