U.S. coronavirus crisis takes a sharp political turn

rooster59

it is not really a political turn but a reality turn.  People are going to die.  no such measures were taken for zika virus, SARS, MERS, Polio.  Such moderation and mediation of course should have been done.  But lockdowns and shut downs no.  The damage to individuals and businesses and states and countries is huge and will cause more deaths by indirect means than the virus did.  Bankruptcy personal and business wise.  Unemployment approaching 15 % in the USA alone.  Debts, loans, foreclosures, bills, many people already in the USA were not buying health insurance OBamacare junk since the tax penalty went away, so now many more will not.  And many of those now go to hospitals and start the crushing emergency services all over again as happened in Los Angeles Californa where several major hospitals had to give up and close.  Crime statistics, mental health issues aggravated by people cooped up in their small apartments.  Education opportunities lost.  The list goes on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Nothing stupid about it. Lockdowns and stay-at-home orders have not been going on very long and soon the honeymoon stage/long vacation stage is going to wear off and reality is going to hit for millions of people. 

Be interesting if the left mocks them for being science deniers and stupid when they are going under and getting desperate. 

They might, and I fear that they will. And if they do they have no one to blame but the Democratic leadership who went into negotiations with the Republican Senate in agreement withall the major corporate bailouts and tax breaks for rich people. In fact it was the "progressive" Republicans that got people the individual stipend over Democrat objections. I don't even know this party anymore. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

They might, and I fear that they will. And if they do they have no one to blame but the Democratic leadership who went into negotiations with the Republican Senate in agreement withall the major corporate bailouts and tax breaks for rich people. In fact it was the "progressive" Republicans that got people the individual stipend over Democrat objections. I don't even know this party anymore. 

Neither do I but at lest you seem objective. 

And the Democratic leadership is still objecting and squeezing the populace over funding the PPP because they 100% believe it'll hurt the Republicans even if it further crashes the economy and ruins peoples lives. Absolutely horrible people they have become under Pelosi's leadership. 

Nothing wrong with corporate bailouts and business is business. Its all necessary for a functioning economy and I don't imagine there are many corporations or businesses that are prepared to weather a storm that could toil on for 2 years. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if after all this Covid political problems that the media and liberals are causing to Trump, that if he is re-elected in November that the media and the liberals will accept that the people have decided that they are wrong. Will they then take the next step to admit that they should really just accept the people's decision and let it go until 2024. That is what most of us conservatives did when Obama was in the Office - we accepted the decision - we didnt like it or him - but we accepted it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Tug said:

Well for starters I wouldent tell people to do things that will spread the virus for starters he could shut up and let the adults solve the problem lots and lots of testing and tracking stop trying to pass the buck and were do you get off thinking only the folks in the Midwest produce do you have any conception of how much you have to produce to survive in ca?this imo has to be handeled in stages it’s going to be hard going but when the going gets tough the tough get going not dividing and incouraging others to spread disease

The tough get going the others shelter in place...

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, pegman said:

Yes, the USA is at the top of the death count mountain. It has near zero chance of being the world's top economy in a century. It may not be by the time the pandemic recovery is complete. As far as his call to arms to liberate some states maybe it's about time someone  encourages the rough living underclass to  liberate some of Trump's properties. 

You may be right as half the country believes the same nonsense as you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevenl said:

Your frustrations with China are boiling over, watch out for your heart.

Funny how the left was squealing non stop about Chinas treatment of Tibet for years and now they are sticking up for China against the Orange man bad. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Phase 1 cut off the internet.

Phase 2 cut the electricity

phase 3 water and gas

phase 4 you are now homeless

That's the quickest way to go back to normality

You can't just sit inside and listen to politicians and hope for the best. Here is an honest question what is the actual cash reserves of NYC? I don'r know this but being a trader it is a fair question. 

What kind of time frame does Cuomo have before NYC is downgraded by the banking system? You see, all of those evil banks are the only reason NYC and such places survive. Makes me laugh when anybody from NYC has such harsh language for Wall Street. NYC invented it.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Phase 1 cut off the internet.

Phase 2 cut the electricity

phase 3 water and gas

phase 4 you are now homeless

That's the quickest way to go back to normality

You can't just sit inside and listen to politicians and hope for the best. Here is an honest question what is the actual cash reserves of NYC? I don'r know this but being a trader it is a fair question. 

What kind of time frame does Cuomo have before NYC is downgraded?

It's data dependent. Currently the rate f deaths is still rising as the rate of hospital admissions is starting to go down. That has only occurred BECAUSE of the social distancing measures that have been put in place. All the while, while frontlinehealthcare workers are dropping and some dying.  It is unknown what the time frame for a downgrade in current measures might be. At least May 15th per current dictums.

I get the frustration, but it should be directed at Congress rather than those who would open things up, or not. Congress should be in session to make sure all the US residents make it through, more or less intact. Instead both parties agreed to make major corporations , most of which are mismanaged, whole. Some even benefitting from the crisis. While giving themiddle finger to the citizen/consumer, which is the engine of the US economy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

It's data dependent. Currently the rate f deaths is still rising as the rate of hospital admissions is starting to go down. That has only occurred BECAUSE of the social distancing measures that have been put in place. All the while, while frontlinehealthcare workers are dropping and some dying.  It is unknown what the time frame for a downgrade in current measures might be. At least May 15th per current dictums.

I get the frustration, but it should be directed at Congress rather than those who would open things up, or not. Congress should be in session to make sure all the US residents make it through, more or less intact. Instead both parties agreed to make major corporations , most of which are mismanaged, whole. Some even benefitting from the crisis. While giving themiddle finger to the citizen/consumer, which is the engine of the US economy.

I like your posts. You are one of the few not consumed by hatred.I would still make sure you haven't had your head eaten by zombies and stay six feet away from you but would invite you into my house. Actually my trailer but you know what I mean we don't get visitors much, round here.

People are taking the internet way too seriously these days. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Not sure that those people had much choice in the matter ??

People around the world are responsible for the Governments that they have. Including those that are led by brutal totalitarian regimes. Everyone has a choice. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

People around the world are responsible for the Governments that they have. Including those that are led by brutal totalitarian regimes. Everyone has a choice. 

Sorry for this question but by your own standard why are you in Thailand? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, simple1 said:

The 'fly over' states aren't exactly self supporting are they. Due to trump administration political decisions 'fly over states' have required massive Federal subsidies for the agricultural industry. 

Just a few days ago trump declared it was state level decisions on when to commence relaxing stay at home / social distancing and so on, but within hours trump reverted to type retweeting highly partisan reversal of his guidelines. There would be no need for all the hyperbole if trump could control his impulses, unfortunately he is incapable to fulfil his role as President of the USA.

Another gem of incompetence by the trump administration...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/04/02/us-exports-masks-ppe-china-surged-early-phase-coronavirus/5109747002/

Your link has nothing to do with your discussion. Zero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

The tough get going the others shelter in place...

No that isent tough that’s stupid dangerous and a squandering of all the sacrifice and treasure lost So far imo not to mention the callous disregard for the health of your fellow countrymen 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, chokrai said:

Funny how the left was squealing non stop about Chinas treatment of Tibet for years and now they are sticking up for China against the Orange man bad. 

I don't believe in 'orange man bad' nor do I believe in defending a country.

I do believe in facts though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, WalkingOrders said:

My heart is fine. My blood pressure is in the green. My weight excellent. My abs just starting to show again. Thanks to exercise. Age 61. I will live long enough to see China's CCP fall just like the Soviet Union fell. And all their mouthpieces and syncophants will be hunted down for being the enablers that they are. Not frustrated man. Right on course. How bout you? How's your heart doin?

The intention of my post was 'this thread has nothing to do with China, but still you try to pull them in'. Unfortunately many posts are like that, you reply with your own frustrations.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Don't believe in defending your country? There is only one word for that: Cowardice. Even if it means defending it from the Tyranny of its own Totalitarian Govt.

Just now, stevenl said:

The intention of my post was 'this thread has nothing to do with China, but still you try to pull them in'. Unfortunately many posts are like that, you reply with your own frustrations.

You asked me about my heart and threw in China, so I responded.

8 minutes ago, stevenl said:

But do you believe in I live in Manhattan, don.t have a job , or food for the week after next and Cuomo is going to solve my problem? Dominos pizza bills are beginning to add up.

16 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Don't believe in defending your country? There is only one word for that: Cowardice. Even if it means defending it from the Tyranny of its own Totalitarian Govt.

'Defending a country' was in reference to a post where someone accused posters here of sticking up for China.

I never said 'my' or 'your' country, but my post was not clear, sorry for confusion.

Edited by stevenl
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1