Thailand's Covid-19 mortality rate among lowest in the world

rooster59

51 minutes ago, BeltAndRoad said:

Maybe the West's addiction to processed foods, refined sugar, MSG, hormone's and genetically modified food.  Not to mention fluoridated water may be causing a weak immune system?  Did you ever consider the fact that Thai people are just healthier than Westerners?

Are they also healthier than the Japanese and South Koreans? 

16 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

We don’t know if certain human actions have led to these results and not some environmental or other factors. I personally witnessed the quite late reaction of the local government with the hordes of the Chinese still visiting Thailand in February. I think you are just trolling. 

Trolling again! No, I am not!

Now you start talk about hordes of Chinese and Thailand in Februari, environmental factors and other factors? Unbelievable!

The people I posted gratulations to, are working in the frontline, taking all the risks, trying to treat people that has been infected. My questions stand!

If you can´t answer them, you do not have to come up with some twisted irrelevant information and accusations about trolling. I am holding to the topic, and I questioned your post. It´s really simple to understand.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, kevin612 said:

Thailand is ok now, can lift lockdown on May, but still need to close the borders until summer to prevent covid 19.

I think we have to close all borders worldwide until a vaccine is ready. If you are infected it's possible in the early stages to still be tested negative, so tests before traveling is not a safe way to stop the spreading. Japan opened up to soon domestic and now second wave is crashing in. Here in Denmark we had way lower infections and deaths than calculated, so we're slowly opening up, but not sure if it's the correct decision. Time will tell. Personally i work in the medical industry so I'm at work daily, but I'm not happy to be using the public transportation. I hate this damn virus and what it does to us.

• Like 2

I've come up with a new pet theory. Thailand was one of the first recipients of Wuhanese. Perhaps the strain they brought in December/January causes mostly asymptomatic infections and most of Thais have already had it.

Easy to check, check the antibodies randomly from the public.

• Like 1

How did Thailand calculate the 1.7%?

I think each country has different population size, the mortality should be divided by the number infected. Also population size needs to be taken into account.

One huge country such as China is equivalent to whole of Europe and USA together.

Edited by EricTh

21 minutes ago, BeltAndRoad said:

Possibly, one thing i know for certain they are a damn sight healthier than Australians.

Probably not as much as one would think. Data from the WHO. 

This is before you adjust for the well known fact that many Thais never goto the hospital and simply die in their villages. Thailand is the 2nd fattest country in Asia also. 

Screenshot_20200418-151246.thumb.png.8262b6a85eb7e82ad36e8b84f3784b71.pngScreenshot_20200418-151054.thumb.png.fe1ebea0263aae729a1f08639cd6139a.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I've come up with a new pet theory. Thailand was one of the first recipients of Wuhanese. Perhaps the strain they brought in December/January causes mostly asymptomatic infections and most of Thais have already had it.

Easy to check, check the antibodies randomly from the public.

I would not discount this as a plausible explanation, and now the fear is of the more aggressive version returning

1 minute ago, Fex Bluse said:

Probably not as much as one would think. Data from the WHO. 

This is before you adjust for the well known fact that many Thais never goto the hospital and simply die in their villages. Thailand is the 2nd fattest country in Asia also. 

Screenshot_20200418-151246.thumb.png.8262b6a85eb7e82ad36e8b84f3784b71.pngScreenshot_20200418-151054.thumb.png.fe1ebea0263aae729a1f08639cd6139a.png

"Information" from the WHO is questionable at best, secondly if you don't include deaths by natural causes as a comparison then the above pie charts, while visually spectacular, aren't useful.  Again not knocking the pie charts, i love pie charts.

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I would not discount this as a plausible explanation, and now the fear is of the more aggressive version returning

It's the billion dollar question, do antibodies give immunity, if yes, for how long and against which strains.

Thailand could have gotten lucky in the first wave. MoPH needs to check.

I just read about antibody testing in Silicon Valley finding a lot of people that had them and never had any symptoms. It is plausible.

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Marking cause of death as pneumonia helps alot with the figures ???? 

Especially when it is.

Reporting guidelines on COVID 19 have recently been revised, resulting in many deaths being wrongly attributed to the virus. This is bound to inflate the global COVID 19 fatalities figure - with what purpose in mind one can only conjecture.

1 hour ago, BeltAndRoad said:

Maybe the West's addiction to processed foods, refined sugar, MSG, hormone's and genetically modified food.  Not to mention fluoridated water may be causing a weak immune system?  Did you ever consider the fact that Thai people are just healthier than Westerners?

Where I come from nobody goes to hospital for flu or a common cold.

Here in Thailand, the wards are full of flu cases. 

The first symptoms of illness the Thais are straight to the chemist, returning with a bag full of pills.

Weak you say?

1 hour ago, BeltAndRoad said:

If true wouldn't Thai people live longer than most western countries? 

https://www.worldometers.info/demographics/life-expectancy/

• Like 2

I checked nextstrain, Thailand has not uploaded the genomes they sequenced a few days ago, but expressly mentioned they were not the Italian strain.

In the map Thailand seems to be the recipient from China, then a few strains originated from here.

It could well be many of us have had the early Wuhanese light strain. It's imperative MoPH tests for antibodies randomly.

47 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The key is tests per 1 million population. Thailand is VERY low on the list. 

That's your answer. 

Shameful so many westerners are so ill-informed. 

The number of tests for Thailand on that list is unreliable. The govt should just release the figures, why the secret?

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The number of tests for Thailand on that list is unreliable. The govt should just release the figures, why the secret?

How do you know they are unreliable? I would say they are more reliable than your opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

The Dr on FCCT yesterday sort of blurted it out. 1-2/1000 test positive ( I hope there's a transcript, this is IIRC), 33 confirmations would mean at least 33k tests, or the ballpark ratio he mentioned was pulled out of thin air.