Back to business – time for Thailand’s tourist industry to get ready

webfact

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Think most people worldwide, learning a well deserved lesson, Personal Finance, and not be throwing all their money on holidays anymore for x years. 
The last decade has been a crazed upcoming with flights, mass tourism, going on holiday 3 times a year with most money after costs of living home going there.

Guess we will get back to about 50% or less of the peak after 12 months.

Does that include you....?

9 hours ago, baansgr said:

If they think anyone will want to holiday if they have to wear a mask on the beach and sit at different tables when they are out dining...better think again. Until there's a cure..nobody is travelling nowhere..that's worldwide, not just Thailand

You underestimate the sex tourists. They will be the first to flock back. 

• Haha 1

No luckily I am not one of that mainstream herd, would be pretty stupid to live abroad without having a adequate buffer in the first place.

If I had your buffer, I probably wouldn't live here.....????

3 minutes ago, transam said:

If I had your buffer, I probably wouldn't live here.....????

Guess that shows your intelligence, as the buffer would be non-existent moving to another place, that can be assumed more expensive and eating that buffer.
In this case we talk about merely a month lockdown, let it be 3 months in total. You do not need big amounts for that in the first place. Nonsense talk this.

That aside, they also have all the money for songkran left, which usually easily is a few thousand for Thais. That is your month of food.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It may be a non starter if travel insurance companies still exclude Corona. Most tourists will probably wait for a vaccine, plus many finding a job is a priority

Looking like no international out of OZ till text year and then only to Virus free countries.

Guess that shows your intelligence, as the buffer would be non-existent moving to another place, that can be assumed more expensive and eating that buffer.
In this case we talk about merely a month lockdown, let it be 3 months in total. You do not need big amounts for that in the first place. Nonsense talk this.

I am known for that......????

Just a few remarks:

- isn't kind of funny, how for years, we (in the tourism industry) have been hearing, how miniscule the part is, that tourism plays in Thailand?

3 % ...5% max....and now?

Not so miniscule after all, was it!

- I personally hope for a fast recoverry since I am working IN the tourism industry and it is my job on the line!

...and my lifelyhood, by the way!

- our company has quiet a bunch of bookings from Europe, from October onwards!

And i have no doubt, that Thailand will be open for business by then!

If that is sensible, might be another question!

But this is not so much about Thailand- it's about all European countries and if they will open up!

Edited by Saint Nick
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Just a few remarks:

- isn't kind of funny, how for years, we (in the tourism industry) have been hearing, how miniscule the part is, that tourism plays in Thailamnd?

3 % ...5% max....and now?

It has always been 13% and that does not include the bargirl money or expats / retirees if speaking correctly (or foreign investment).
On GDP it is indeed nothing much but it is a lot of low paid jobs as well most visible shop buildings in all the cities. Places look like boring ghost towns without tourism.
Actually makes me think a lot about Laos, it looks lovely but it is boring as <deleted>. Would not be able to live here without some tourism (as it looks like now).

Guess the majority is either a farmer, government employee or working in tourism (related) business. Or doing some generic 10-12K job.
The big business is owned by few with maybe 5M staff that are earning quite well I guess. So perhaps the ''real'' GDP ratio would be 40-50% instead.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

7 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

a certain reality is returning to gov after the mass panic.people will need to travel they do now,business and work,we need to meet up ,relationships families have been seperated,kids without fathers wifes apart from husbands.some people may holiday as so many people are working....online.the moneys there.so regionally its a go and soon,the virus doesnt prosper in sunlight it dies thats what has saved thailand.most importantly the economy must start to drive again and tourism in thailand is massive.so get at it,test people on exit and entry.allow regional travel except china of course.japan singapore s korea hk taiwan philippines malaysia all this is easy enough.business repatriation family and loved ones re uniting and tourism to some degree but all these others need t eat and sleep somewhere.

You are wrong about that sunshine kills Covid-19...
Covid19 Fact or Fiction-Sunlight

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Maybe. But, according to the Thais, the vast majority of tourists to Thailand come for the old, beat up temples and 40 Baht plates of fried rice. ????

Sex foreign tourism is nothing on GDP, just a couple billion dollars a year. But it makes up for a city full of jobs.
Compared to earnings of tourism itself, they could get rid of the sex business any time but reality is Pattaya would then crash, so not happening.
The Soi 6 guardian angels are looking out for us foreigners.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 2long said:

SO MUCH NEGATIVITY!!! ????

Although valid points have been made, there is just too much negativity and pessimism here.

Yes, the government need to actually allow flights to land and tourists to enter without jumping through hoops. This is just stating the obvious.

I think that the original post is saying that when things brighten up, the tourism industry needs to welcome back everyone with open arms, and honest, warm smiles. But, as usual, the TVF regulars like to copy each other with Doomsday predictions and digs at each other and the establishment.

Nope, it is not "negativity", it is called REALISM!!!

• Like 1

What a load of typical corporate nonsense in the article,pathways,smiling,the way forward,this guy makes David Brent look like a genius,we are still in the middle of the pandemic,honestly this article made me so angry i felt like posting under my daily fail handle of 'disgruntled of cheam'!!!!!

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I think you need to check some facts before making silly claims...

Singapore was managing very well and still are. The spike in cases is within foreign worker dormitories, which have been isolated since the first clusters appeared there. 

Cases around Singapore have remained relatively consistent, 50-100 per day, tested, isolated and contact tracing done.

We can still go out to exercise, shop etc so there really is no panic here. 

From yesterday.. Straits times quote..

"Of the 596 new cases, 544 were work permit holders residing in dormitories. Only 25 are Singaporeans or permanent residents. There were no imported cases."

Singapore is actually among the HIGHER in number of infected per 100K inhabitants.
Actually at 15th place of all countries in the world.

Singapore: 6 588 infected, 112,6 persons pr 100K

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It may be a non starter if travel insurance companies still exclude Corona. Most tourists will probably wait for a vaccine, plus many finding a job is a priority

Another thread with flight radar shows China jam packed with domestic flights. People have short memories. If the Thai covid stats are correct then they will be here like a swarm of locusts

22 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Sex foreign tourism is nothing on GDP, just a couple billion dollars a year. But it makes up for a city full of jobs.
Compared to earnings of tourism itself, they could get rid of the sex business any time but reality is Pattaya would then crash, so not happening.
The Soi 6 guardian angels are looking out for us foreigners.

Essential social security for low class isanites. What are these tens of thousands of Isan hookers doing now? Probably lots of desperate emails asking their numerous thee raks /da lings on different continents to tide them over financially till lover's reunion or wedding day. Chan kit thueng kun mak mak. 

2 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Essential social security for low class isanites. What are these tens of thousands of Isan hookers doing now? Probably lots of desperate emails asking their numerous thee raks /da lings on different continents to tide them over financially till lover's reunion or wedding day. Chan kit thueng kun mak mak. 

Quite an Expeert in Hookers arnt we.

• Haha 1

I sat on a plane with 350 ish people coming back to the UK from BKK on 25/03/2020 and I would have no hesitation doing the same again. As for Thailand, if the entry requirements are not too high, then I'll be back as soon as they open up again.

This SARS Cov2 pandemic is totally over the top and just scaremongering, unless your over 70 with multiple underlying conditions and possibly either black or south asian in the UK and obese, then it's 5% mortality rate for healthy people.

No travel ban from leaving the UK. Hopefully I'll be back in BKK either June or July ????

Edited by tribalfusion001

7 minutes ago, pellets said:

Singapore is actually among the HIGHER in number of infected per 100K inhabitants.
Actually at 15th place of all countries in the world.

Singapore: 6 588 infected, 112,6 persons pr 100K

Yes but the majority of the cases are confined to workers dormitories that are quarantined...

From yesterdays total.. Of the 596 cases, 25 are Singaporeans/ Permanent Residents.

From 18th. 942 cases of COVID-19 infection in Singapore. 22 are Singaporeans/ Permanent Residents.

6 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yes but the majority of the cases are confined to workers dormitories that are quarantined...

From yesterdays total.. Of the 596 cases, 25 are Singaporeans/ Permanent Residents.

From 18th. 942 cases of COVID-19 infection in Singapore. 22 are Singaporeans/ Permanent Residents.

1500 today!

First thing is to get rid of the penniless 'tourists'. This is not rocket science. Remove the visa exception for everyone. Then the Embassy will make sure you have a  real job (not blogger,  selling <deleted> online, etc), a stable income, insurance --of course-- savings and all your trip sorted out (tickets in/out, bookings). This way you can filter out a lot of bad people in the Kingdom.

Edited by edwardFuture
correct
  • Thanks 1