Back to business – time for Thailand’s tourist industry to get ready

webfact

The sad reality is that:

a) any hotel, restaurant or school won't be able to operate at more that 50% capacity if social distancing requirements are to be met.

c) don't think that more than 20% of capacity will be needed during the next 2 years anyway, and this will be only for domestic travel.

d) I don't think Thailand will have the backbone to keep an entire industry mothballed for two years and then cold start it without massive government aid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

First off, hotels need to change the narrative. The pathway to reopening Thailand’s Covid-19 stunted economic model is becoming clear, as the national curve of virus cases is statistically moving towards flatter terrain. Science matters.

Unusually well-written article for this publication. But, very poorly thought out. I suppose authors must turn out content as it's their job. 

Thailand's official numbers provide no comfort to anyone with a brain. They are almost certainly wildly inaccurate. 

That said, a much better article would have said something like - 

It would be wise for hotels and other tourist related businesses to prepare for a post-covid world (whenever that is which could be a year or longer away) by engaging with the government and UPGRADING their infrastructure. And, working with the government to make sure all tourist related business is prepared to assist tourists who might contract COVID in Thailand. Work with the government and Insurance sectors to make sure tourists can get get health assistance, etc. 

I'm so tired of all the 3rd rate media we get in Thailand. It really is the pitts.

To consider when forecasting  the complete death of tourism, I just rebooked a trip that we were forced to cancel this April to next February.  Sure hope that India will be open by then as I would like my wife and I to be able to go on the three week trip then.

If travel does open I will then take a trip to the US in either Spring or Summer next year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

For the hotel and travel sector the immediate task is to start planning for re-opening and rigorously addressing the new market challenges. Stop dwelling on what’s happened and move on. Tourism and hotels are a field of dreams and the reality is we did build it and they will come back.

Start by stopping the AirBnB illegal rentals at condos, as well as Booking.com.

Cannot understand how these sites are allowed to advertise as "apartments" or condos and allow 2-3 day stays.  Hotel associations are suffering from this and need to fight back.  Up to them to figure out how, it will benefit them and the industry in general IMO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

There won't be any country in the world with a positive tourist industry for years to come. Thailand will be hit hard as it is around 1/5 of their GDP. 

Aaaaah, the Norfolk Broads......Book early for "that" boat............................????

18 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Even if thailand opens up and lifts quarantine it must rely on other countries doing the same.

No on is going on a holiday when upon return their home country quarantines them for 2 weeks.

Thailand can do nothing, it is in the hands of other countries.

And very few people will be looking to goto countries that are overrun with Chinese tour groups. 

Thailand made its bed, treating Westerners very poorly recently. 

Let's see if the government starts begging Westerners back, whoring themselves or if they have the pride to stick by their vision of a farang free Thailand. 

• Like 2

All very well & good & in many ways I wish i could agree with the article.

It is fine to be Gung Ho in your approach but to open the airports too early end up with a situation worse than what we have been through already would just about sound the death knell.

for 3 years 

• Like 1

Could a member explain to me what is funny or even hilarious in my answer? see screeshot below
One of the members of this forum gave me this smiley for any response from him.
It seems to me that he has not yet understood anything about the crisis that the whole world, including Thailand, is going through.
But that does not surprise me beyond measure; he must be Thai; the kind of person who laughs loudly when he puts his vehicle in the ditch, because laughter is better than face loss.

533330968_Screenshot(145).png.72499671a75b5f1b14970b2ba2991e0b.png

Happy, happy to have put the pickup in the ditch  :crazy:

662494895_P6091748_rd_2021_pickup_accident(Copy).thumb.JPG.07b3c9a5bc72d48d634135124831ee4b.JPG

Screenshot (145).png

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

How about some of the hotels clean themselves up?  Paint the walls, clean the filthy air conditioning vents or filters, how about wash the carpets, and not just vacuum them?  They did not do that during regular usage but I would really like them to do it now.  I can think of several of the mid range hotels I stayed at in Pattaya that had great locations and good prices so for 2 or 3 weeks I stayed there but need some help.  IntownHoliday Soi Diana for example.  Love the location.  Rooms never got better with time.

A few price specials would be nice, but my experience with Thailand is any special has so many hooks and provisos and the hotel will only give you the worst rooms, etc.  so I would not put much faith or need in that.

All I ask of a hotel or motel room is clean, moderate cost, aircon, big bed. A smart TV with a USB port is a bonus.

It's an advantage to have a Thai GF. Mine can find good rooms well off the tourist track, and we always inspect the room first. I defer to her when it comes to thumbs up or thumbs down.

One weird situation arose in Sukhothai, where the manager said yes he had a room available, no we could not look at it. IMO with that attitude, he'll be out of business first.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Could a member explain to me what is funny or even hilarious in my answer? see screeshot below
One of the members of this forum gave me this smiley for any response from him.
It seems to me that he has not yet understood anything about the crisis that the whole world, including Thailand, is going through.
But that does not surprise me beyond measure; he must be Thai; the kind of person who laughs loudly when he puts his vehicle in the ditch, because laughter is better than face loss.

533330968_Screenshot(145).png.72499671a75b5f1b14970b2ba2991e0b.png

Happy, happy to have put the pickup in the ditch  :crazy:

662494895_P6091748_rd_2021_pickup_accident(Copy).thumb.JPG.07b3c9a5bc72d48d634135124831ee4b.JPG

Screenshot (145).png

There are those whose stuff must go over your head, I have a list, think I am on it too....????

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Try again in 2021.

That may be a little optimistic.

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

"Of the 596 new cases, 544 were work permit holders residing in dormitories. Only 25 are Singaporeans or permanent residents. There were no imported cases."

Have you seen the makeshift shanti town style workers camps at large building sites in Thailand?

If the government take action now then they might avoid the same fate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shackleton said:

Now China ?

Forget about China, it's just getting started over there, their controls will eventually fail, they already are.

While COVID is circulating in the world inbound travelers to China are subject to a 2 week quarantine - that kills all Chinese tourism dead right there for as long as this measure exists.

A vaccine and/or herd immunity is the only way out of this while it's still 'moving around' anywhere in the world, if the immunity thing isn't long lasting then this could easily last a decade.

There's never been a vaccine for a coronavirus before, the only 4 human coronaviruses known to man prior to SARS/MERS and COVID are some of the common colds and there's no vaccine for any of them, we didn't really require a vaccine for the common colds though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yinn said:

The tourist/hotel industry will be about 0% for this year. People have loan will bankrupt. Close.

Maybe next year will improve a bit. 

Not return to 2018/2019 success for 3+years. The world economy will be bad, if people not have money/small money they not spend money for holiday.

again Thailand will be top 5 in the world again for tourism. 

Many TVF member like to criticize and mock Thailand tourism. Pfffft. So successful. People come back every year, and you guys love thailand so much you live here. 

Welcome to Thailand!

B433380B-E7BB-4CDF-81B0-10105199A900.png

So you have no idea what will happen for the future of LOS tourist industry, it is no good you harping on about the past...Unless you have a crystal ball.....????

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rancid said:

My country's saying wont even look at international flights till next year. Even if I want to go and suffocate in Chiang Mai or get a rash swimming at Pattaya I can't.

Is that when they get their first airplane delivered.....?

DC3.jpg.58b0ad550deb4ca1fe73ff3408518754.jpg