Bangkok: Huge crowds gather for 100 baht handouts

webfact

Bangkok: Huge crowds gather for 100 baht handouts

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Charity officials and health personnel were overwhelmed when a huge crowd of people converged on the area of a Bangkok shopping center after news circulated they were handing out cash as well as food. 

It was just 100 baht but huge crowds formed at Seacon Bangkae in Bang Wa on the Thonburi side of the river. 

Region 9 chief Pol Maj-Gen Chokechai Ngamwong said in a report that this was the sixth time that handouts were made at this location and all had gone well before as social distancing measures had been followed. 

But that was just when food, drinks and masks were in the care packages. 

When people found out money was being handed out to the needy the officials were simply swamped. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-21

• Haha 1

Region 9 chief Pol Maj-Gen Chokechai Ngamwong said in a report that this was the sixth time that handouts were made at this location and all had gone well before as social distancing measures had been followed. 

This sounds more like an excuse for the lack of social distancing. Looks like a police officer just below yellow car in photo. Sorry but my cynical mode is in total overdrive.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, sungod said:

See the number of grab bikes parked up?

they are the only people making a killing right now (apart from the virus)

they could be there serving outlets delivery needs at the center

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

That crowd is what sheeple look like, pretty disgusting actually. It also shows why

there are distancing rules that these sheeple will never grasp, as they have

very little brains between their ears.

Geezer

Die from hunger or die from a virus, little chance of dying from SARS Cov2 in Thailand. Social distancing is just governments controlling their people with draconian powers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Die from hunger or die from a virus, little chance of dying from SARS Cov2 in Thailand. Social distancing is just governments controlling their people with draconian powers.

Yep, one can't expect hungry people to follow the rules.

There are millions of people here without work, and who are simply trying to survive, and find their next meal. There are alot of cynics on this forum, who are enjoying their pensions or investments of 100,000 a month or more, while the majority of the population here, who were living hand to mouth before all of this happened, and before the simple minded economic shutdown occurred, and are now desperate. 

The government has done little to aid the masses. The first round of assistance had a rejection rate of over 80%, which demonstrated just how insincere the army is about helping the people, in their time of greatest need. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There are millions of people here without work, and who are simply trying to survive, and find their next meal. There are alot of cynics on this forum, who are enjoying their pensions or investments of 100,000 a month or more, while the majority of the population here, who were living hand to mouth before all of this happened, and before the simple minded economic shutdown occurred, and are now desperate. 

The government has done little to aid the masses. The first round of assistance had a rejection rate of over 80%, which demonstrated just how insincere the army is about helping the people, in their time of greatest need. 

But Thai rak Thai....families stick together...doesn't cost much to feed a family of 5....no one in Thailand is starving, that needs to be understood..water is 1 baht 1.5 litres..rice 20 baht kilo...this ain't drought stricken Africa with no food available.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, essox essox said:

but it is true statement.....OWT FOR NOWT (if you and others understand)  !!!

As you deem the statement to be true, then you must have factual confirmation of that. So, could you please point me in the direction of the source that says:

a) that the people in the photo are confirmed as having nothing better to do

b) that they are also confirmed as being peasants

I'll wait.

Oh, and I do understand the northern dialect.

50 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

As you deem the statement to be true, then you must have factual confirmation of that. So, could you please point me in the direction of the source that says:

a) that the people in the photo are confirmed as having nothing better to do

b) that they are also confirmed as being peasants

I'll wait.

Oh, and I do understand the northern dialect.

Tha's gunna av a long wait.....

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

But Thai rak Thai....families stick together...doesn't cost much to feed a family of 5....no one in Thailand is starving, that needs to be understood..water is 1 baht 1.5 litres..rice 20 baht kilo...this ain't drought stricken Africa with no food available.

Easy to develop a rationale, that helps you to be secure and comfortable within your own mind. But, there are millions here who are really hurting. Do you think when they set up that soup kitchen in CM, and there was a 2 km. line around the moat, that they were doing that for fun? Do you have any idea how long a 2 km line takes, in the hot sun? Again, I go back to the expat retiree, with the comfy pension, rather insulated from the pain of a Thai trying to support and feed his family.