Bangkok: "Shell shocked" US marine sparks bomb alert in front of US Embassy

webfact

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

So, a foreigner doing nothing wrong is stopped, cuffed, searched and this makes into the news.

Exactly!  You, can consider yourself respected and educated.  Good to hear a comment from  someone who understood what was written, and NOT making assumptions and placing personal opinion and hate in a public forum.  Here is a message for us all; He is a Foreigner, just like you and I, and regardless of his mental state or personal credentials, he is seen just like you by our hosts (He is on our team; take care of your team mate, you just might need his help one day).

11 minutes ago, JUAinBKK said:

Good to hear that you know him so well.  Please compare and contrast the good and the bad that he provides here in Thailand.  Happy to hear he was such a good teacher.

Yes a fine example he's setting!

1 hour ago, zippysteve said:

Ok here is a little more information but still doesn’t say how it started. It looks like he might have rigged the box to look like a bomb. But it doesn’t say anything about what he actually did to cause it to happen. 

Just speculating... embassy security called local authorities...

8 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

Depending on where in the USA, he could have been shot...and no I'm not a whinny brit. I am an American veteran living the good life here in the LOS. (Land of Smiles)

Oh yeah especially if he had done that in front of a military base in the states. They shot someone on Fort Bragg once who tried to rush through the gate past the gate guard on Butner Road. But all the article says is that he was looking suspicious. 

Edited by zippysteve
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, timendres said:

Agreed. Of course, all of the TVF Special Forces members will tell you they also survived an IED and had no mental issues whatsoever. My bet is that the Thai police dealt with him a little nicer than he would have been dealt with back home.

"... all of the TVF Special Forces members will tell you they also survived an IED and had no mental issues whatsoever. ..."

You got any examples of that?

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"... all of the TVF Special Forces members will tell you they also survived an IED and had no mental issues whatsoever. ..."

You got any examples of that?

Since that is a long standing joke here, it is an example in and of itself. The joke referring to the mythical bar stool occupier who falsely claims to have been in special forces. I apologize to anyone who was offended by this, as it was in no way intended to reflect on anyone who actually served.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, timendres said:

Since that is a long standing joke here, it is an example in and of itself. The joke referring to the mythical bar stool occupier who falsely claims to have been in special forces. I apologize to anyone who was offended by this, as it was in no way intended to reflect on anyone who actually served.

-

5 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

Strangely enough ,many American ex Iraqi army guys (illegally migrated)* to Thailand thinking they can do what they like as all suffer from the same symptoms. 

* border/Visa run every 90 days...555

They were NOT Iraqi army. What was your service besides lip?

33 minutes ago, zippysteve said:

Oh yeah especially if he had done that in front of a military base in the states. They shot someone on Fort Bragg once who tried to rush through the gate past the gate guard on Butner Road. But all the article says is that he was looking suspicious. 

Imagine if the Thai forces followed suit... shooting all and sundry who are looking suspicious!

• Confused 5

7 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Why didn't one of the marines or members of the embassy not come out and deal with him.  Also why are we saying a Marine was arrested.  He is not a marine but a veteran. 

The Thai authorities should not be the only person assisting this guy.  The Military staff at the embassy should also be doing something for him.

Your totally wrong when you say he wasn't a Marine. Once a Marine Always A Marine unless dishonorably discharged. So he's a Marine Veteran. Just Like Me. You are right in that someone from inside the embassy should have provided assistance. Who knows maybe they did ultimately provide some assistance. Hopefully, he gets the help he needs. 

9 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Why didn't one of the marines or members of the embassy not come out and deal with him.  Also why are we saying a Marine was arrested.  He is not a marine but a veteran. 

The Thai authorities should not be the only person assisting this guy.  The Military staff at the embassy should also be doing something for him.

He is the responsibility of the Thai police, there is no VA hospital at the US Embassy. Look the guy is a civilian now he fails under the Thai Police authority. Any medical care he gets will be from the Thai government. People have to be very careful when they travel abroad you come under the authority of the government of the country you happen to be in. Good luck to the guy hope he has some money to pay his medical bills

9 hours ago, crazykopite said:

As an ex vet I hope he can get the medical help that he needs clearly Thailand is not the ideal place for him to be living in the US Embassy need to make arrangements to get him home ASAP 

How can you be an ex vet?

Surely you will remain a veteran untill you pass on.

• Thanks 1