No end in sight

andy72

Lockdown being lifted may not be happening any time soon

Singapore has extended its lockdown to June 1st

Manila Also June 1st

Indonesia has decided to postpone its Hari Raya Aidilfitri to Dec 28 to 31 instead of May 26 to 29. which is quite a move!

Thailand has just issued automatic visa extension till July 31 which is a huge time limit so its keeping those who are here

this may be due to the fact that its almost impossible to go any where even if lock down restrictions are lifted.

Malaysia is still looking at 28th April we wait and see but don't hold your breath folks tourism is not about to kick off any time soon

Lets hope there is a lock down lift but as stated you wont be going anywhere

but internal and if air asia domestic routes start 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, timendres said:

This does suggest that the borders will not open in May or June.

i know it just means Singapore and Manila at least plus possibly Indonesia are of the cards 
I  hope they print some data about border opening soon but for them to give such a lengthy extension date at this stage shows some realization that getting out of the country is going to be difficult 

16 minutes ago, andy72 said:

Lets hope there is a lock down lift but as stated you wont be going anywhere

but internal and if air asia domestic routes start 

That's my hope too.

A mate in Germany still hoping to come in late July. I think he can bury his hopes.

Munich Oktoberfest mid September cancelled (worlds biggest beer festival and funfair).

• Like 1

And THAI Airways cancelling flights (London, Paris, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Sydney and Melbourne to name just a few) until 1st July clearly gives a clue. 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thanks 1

Yes currently malaysia opens on 28 april but i can guarantee it wont. The earliest it will open is 12 may. But also being discussed is 23 may.

That will make it about 2 months of watching bad movies. Im not too bad because the gf has a letter allowing her out as an essential worker even though she only does one day a week. Im ok due to my connection with the new PM. But nothing is open anyway so not worth going outside except to relieve the insanity of boredom.

7 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Yes currently malaysia opens on 28 april but i can guarantee it wont. The earliest it will open is 12 may. But also being discussed is 23 may.

That will make it about 2 months of watching bad movies. Im not too bad because the gf has a letter allowing her out as an essential worker even though she only does one day a week. Im ok due to my connection with the new PM. But nothing is open anyway so not worth going outside except to relieve the insanity of boredom.

yo we be tight with the pm.

6 minutes ago, Sujo said:

yes, Malaysia likes to leave it to the last moment to say if MCO continues
They are worried about Ramadan 
then Hari Raya 

SO i think Thailand has finally looked at the facts by this July 31 ext its the cold reality wherever we may be right now we might just be stuck for that 3 months more

21 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

What lockdown? 

I can travel on my bike, the missus can go to shops, the only lockdown I am aware of is between 10pm and 4am, and that is called a curfew.

So restaurants and bottle shops are open where you are? Hairdressers etc?

Its not looking pretty but then who knows with this Government.  Next week is when the good PM will be making the decision.  As far as the surrounding countries, and then what has just happened as far as Thai Airways goes, and then the Visa extensions being pushed for 3 months, I think the writing is on the wall.  Take care, be safe, and ensure you eat plenty of Ice Cream......

5 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I hope governments are prepared for the unrest that will be coming all over the world with longer lock downs. Society can break down very quickly when you have no job, no money, no food etc.

More likely to break down in a country that is not supporting the population and the deaths are low. In the UK we are still cruising at just under 1000 deaths a day, a sobering thought that keeps people from getting complacent, apart from a few who will always buck whatever is in place.

I can't quite grasp why the guys already protesting in the USA and Canada after very little lock down time has passed, are standing there with guns, <deleted> is that all about

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Is this the new "normal"?

Yep.

Aka, you are grounded .

Freedom , and choices,  just a dream ...

Edited by elliss

6 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I can't quite grasp why the guys already protesting in the USA and Canada after very little lock down time has passed, are standing there with guns, <deleted> is that all about

Their big bottom doesn't fit in the home chair so they can't stay home.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Perhaps they may have a point, it's quite possible that the economic crash, which is just behind the bend, will be more deadly than the virus.

What are they gonna do shoot their way out!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

With loaded guns, who in their right mind would take them seriously?

Well, i just realised that we are on Thailand travel Forum, so we are way off topic.

But, i am afraid that all this is more than just a virus, time will tell.

• Like 2

While we were all concentrating in slagging of Thai Immigration 
Looks like Vietnam was playing hardball

From March 22 until further notice, Vietnam has temporarily suspended entry for all foreign nationals. Vietnam will not be issuing visas or allowing entry to any travellers at this time, including those who already hold visas or visa exemptions.

Foreigners in the country whose visa exemptions or tourist visas have expired and cannot exit due to quarantine, lack of flights, closed borders and similar objective reasons, may ask their embassies or consulates to apply on their behalf for a extension of temporary residence for a maximum of 30 days while awaiting departure. See here for a list of documents required to apply. 

Vietnam will consider penalty waivers for foreigners have overstayed their temporary residence in the country for less than 10 days due to objective reasons. Those who have entered Vietnam for business, visiting relatives, or purposes other than travel should contact their embassies, consulates or sponsors regarding visa concerns.

Maximum 30 DAYS 

Meanwhile Cambodia 

647054.jpg

People wear face masks, amid concerns over a spread of Covid-19, as they walk through a gate equipped with disinfectant spray for people entering a pagoda during the Khmer New Year in Phnom Penh on April 14, 2020.- AFP

PHNOM PENH (Xinhua): Cambodia on Thursday (April 16) extended a ban on foreign travellers from the United States, Iran, and four European countries in a bid to stem the spread of Covid-19, according to a foreign ministry's letter.

In the letter to the ambassadors, consul-generals, and honorary consults of Cambodia to foreign countries, Foreign Ministry secretary of state Sea Kosal told them to extend the ban on foreigners coming to Cambodia from the United States, Iran, Italy, Germany, Spain, and France until further notice.

He added that entry restrictions for all foreigners to Cambodia also remain in effect until there is a new notice.

"Above-mentioned measures of travel restrictions are temporary and must be continued to implement until the Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization make a joint assessment that the situation of Covid-19 disease has eased," he said.

Cambodia has banned entry of foreign visitors from the six countries since mid-March and has imposed entry restrictions for all foreigners since March 30.

In its entry restrictions, any foreigner wishing to travel to Cambodia must provide a medical certificate issued by competent health authorities of his/her country, certifying that he/she is not tested positive for the Covid-19.

Also, he/she must provide proof of his/her insurance policy that shows minimum medical coverage during his/her intended stay in Cambodia in the amount not less than US$50,000.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i just realised that we are on Thailand travel Forum, so we are way off topic.

But, i am afraid that all this is more than just a virus, time will tell.

Well for now a virus appears to be causing the problems, if it cannot be riddled with bullets and killed, I am not understanding the requirement to carry guns at a lock down protest, unless the virus is suddenly expected to come out shooting

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1