Queuing up for free food

EricTh

Today I went to look at the situation of the free food queue at one of the temple in the city center.

I was horrified to see that people actually book the queue by placing small rocks and empty bottles two hours before they actually give the free food away.

The people who 'queued' were nowhere to be seen except for a very few. Are they supposed to honour the rocks and empty bottles as people? The queue was very long across the back lane.

There were nobody managing the queue to see whether this is the proper way to 'book' a place in the queue and whether there are double bookings by the same person.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

They do this in HK too. The first time I visited by wife in prison there, the waiting room was empty apart from a line of bags, books and other items. Minutes before visiting time, the owners of these objects appeared and took their respective places in line. It worked fine and I did the same on subsequent visits

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Why does that horrify you?

Actually better they book a spot in the queue rather then stand there in long crowded lines and possibly get infected.

How do you know which rock belongs to you and what if someone throws your rock away and put theirs into it?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

So does everyone hand around behind said rocks until they turn up? :whistling:

Don't know what happened after that as I didn't hang around to find out. 

2 hours ago, Foxy52 said:

They do this in HK too. The first time I visited by wife in prison there, the waiting room was empty apart from a line of bags, books and other items. Minutes before visiting time, the owners of these objects appeared and took their respective places in line. It worked fine and I did the same on subsequent visits

Funny way of booking but it works fine if the queue is short but not when the queue is so long that you can't distinguish between one rock/bottle from another.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

The people who 'queued' were nowhere to be seen except for a very few. Are they supposed to honour the rocks and empty bottles as people?

Seems like a good idea tbh... Better than standing there. Thais are Buddhist and seem to have a better understanding of "waiting your" turn than westerners or the lovely Chinese. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eibot said:

Seems like a good idea tbh... Better than standing there. Thais are Buddhist and seem to have a better understanding of "waiting your" turn than westerners or the lovely Chinese. 

The best Queue system I've seen was at the Thai passport office. My wife and I walked in all the people were seated and there were about 30 pairs of sandals lined up in front of the wicket. I thought it was genius.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

The best Queue system I've seen was at the Thai passport office. My wife and I walked in all the people were seated and there were about 30 pairs of sandals lined up in front of the wicket. I thought it was genius.

Hahaha. All these creative ways.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

How do you know which rock belongs to you and what if someone throws your rock away and put theirs into it?

Oh lord.  The kids on the playground figured that out decades ago.

18 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Why does that horrify you?

Actually better they book a spot in the queue rather then stand there in long crowded lines and possibly get infected.

They called it ingenuity...????

>>I was horrified <<...........is this a common occurrence for you ?   That could be bad for your health as there are many things in Thailand one could be horrified about if you let it .

Edited by anto

On 4/22/2020 at 7:35 AM, Puchaiyank said:

The real untold story...why the heck was your wife in prison?

That wasn't the issue. The post was about QUEQUES. Let's not get off topic. Did I ever tell you about he time(s) I was in jail in Italy? Well, first I...never mind

On 4/22/2020 at 12:53 PM, Eibot said:

That's their way and it seems to work. Standing out in the sun isn't for them either.  

Terrible situation for these poor people, though.