SURVEY: Time to open up or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Time to open up or not?  

389 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

47 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Yawn, troll somewhere else.

I just did some quick search and found this, according to John Hopkins

COVID-19: Approximately 197,578 deaths reported worldwide; 51,949 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 25, 2020.*

Flu: 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

So in 51 days since the 1st case in the US there have been 51,000 deaths compared to a normal yearly US total of up to 61,000. And this is with huge pressure on social distancing, stay at home etc. With exponential growth and no social distancing it would be a scary number. Not just normal flu.

I saw in UK news that 18 Transport for London Bus drivers have passed away.... is that like normal flu?

Sorry, in 2017/18 80,000 died from Flu in the US CDC statistics. Not counting Pneumonia, asthma, swine flu, SARS, MERS and other lung related deaths. It shows that today out of 45,000 suspected COVID cases in Thailand. 40,000 WERE flu and 5,000 came back negative, only 50 died and they all had underlying medical conditions or were old and had weak immune systems! Wow!!!! You don't see statistics like that in the US, UK, Italy or Spain? Wonder why?

1 minute ago, Sumarianson said:

Sorry, in 2017/18 80,000 died from Flu in the US CDC statistics. Not counting Pneumonia, asthma, swine flu, SARS, MERS and other lung related deaths. It shows that today out of 45,000 suspected COVID cases in Thailand. 40,000 WERE flu and 5,000 came back negative, only 50 died and they all had underlying medical conditions or were old and had weak immune systems! Wow!!!! You don't see statistics like that in the US, UK, Italy or Spain? Wonder why?

Can you not compare apples to apples? Comparing flu deaths in the US, with PUI's in Thailand then saying they all had underlying medical conditions, which i have definitely seen reported cases where it clearly stated they did no have underlying conditions, then you talk about US, UK, Italy and Spain? you dont see statistics like that there? So? What are you saying?

That the heat and humidity has something to do with it? Sorry i have no idea what you are trying to say.

21 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Phase 1 opening:  The key term will be something like 50 to 60% capacity only. For instance if a restaurant can normally seat 10 people then only 5 o 6 customer allowed in at one time.  The same would go for airlines, buses etc.

As for service providers I do not see a high risk if a barber just cuts hair.  I do see higher risk if the same barber shaves the customer.  If  both the barber and customer wear masks, sanitize hands, equipment, chair and smock before then I see little risk in cutting hair.  At the current time tattoo parlors should not be allowed to open.  

Massage Spas and salons?  Who knows.  The safest massage I see at the current time is a foot massage with masks and sanitizers? 

As for gyms I see it this way. 

1) No air conditioning.  Open air with fans and reduced capacity(the same 50 to 60% rule).  Gyms with showers should close them off.  Also, reduction in the number equipment to create more open space.  

How about the social distancing in the kitchen? It is idiotic! There is no social distancing in Makro, not even at the checkouts, not on buses, trains, taxis, mini buses, street stalls and I have seen absolutely no one collapse on the ground begging for air. Does anyone know what a pandemic is? Look at the Black Death and the Spanish Flu (which incidentially came from a US military base during the first world war when Germany were losing, what a coincidence)?

47 minutes ago, robbioff said:

Exactly...for a virus that is only really dangerous for the over 70’s with underlying issues, why punish the whole population with this lockdown  b/s? Life has to go on.

Many health care workers have lost their lives. They were certainly not in their 70s, or are you just talking about Thailand? 

The variable is not time, it is preparedness. Which means testing & tracking in place. As soon as that is done, you can start to open up. Right now in Thailand it looks like there's shortages in testing materials and tracking is done manually by MoPH, they are not ready yet.

Pour money into testing, especially accelerating local development of reagents and antibody tests, and ask for help from Singapore or Hong Kong for the tracking software and apps. Then, once ready, carefuly, carefully start to peel it open and test, test, test, test, test like you never tested before.

And yes provide open data so independent people can analyze and help.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

It means that it's not worth to ruin the life of millions because some people are scared to get the flu.

Is it clear enough ?

correct

just like cars, junk food ,cigs etc

You dont have to stand next to someone or touch your face.

lockdowns = treating people like 5yos.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

corona kills fat people

There the people we are protecting ???? along with the old, frail diabetics etc, well worth it, poor souls, they could never make an effort themselves, lock society up for a couple of years instead! Great way of culling a lot more people in the long run, least that appears to be "Kill Bill's" philosophy!

We are part of the biggest crime against humanity ever committed IMO! - They haven't finished yet! :shock1:

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I find it amazing how many people here think all should be open and we should somehow believe that people are smart enough to act sensitive. Who gave you the idea that people are smart enough to do that (not only in Thailand)?

And if i.e. a group of people party and infect each other the infection obviously does not stay in that group. If i.e. lots of people in Pattaya would go out and get infected does anybody imagine the infection would stay in Pattaya? Sure not!

Personally I think life should go on with social distancing for some time. I.e. in many restaurants and coffee shops it's possible that people sit apart from each other and keep their distance. It's also possible to go to parks and the beach and keep a distance from each other. But crowded bars are definitely not a good idea - even if it would be nice to have some fun.

Let's be responsible for a little longer. The situation in Thailand looks good for a reason. And the situation in other countries and areas looks bad for a reason. Stay safe, take care, and take it easy for some time.

I have yet to see social distancing in Thailand . I see the masses at the markets  shoulder to shoulder , same in Tesco Lotus , diy  stores etc .  Restaurants , will you get served by a waitress with 2 meter long arms ? will the tables and chairs be sanitised after each sitting ? and the floors and toilets washed ?  Answer is no , however I believe Thailand and other SEA countries have avoided the virus plague by virtue of their climate and high UV rating more so than quarantine , testing and masking etc .  If a province has been clean of virus reports for 1 month then it should be free from the lock down albeit the people to remain within their province .  Open up everything and get back to normality .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cali farong said:

Leave it to the people not the government.  Stay home if you feel it’s not safe.

And then, if it goes wrong, you can then blame the government for giving in to mob rule. Brilliant!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Oldie said:

They should keep the existing curfew for people over 50 for a while until there is not so much danger for the elderly anymore. 

Oi, sunbeam, I do like to go out for a beer now and again, and I don't like being "nursed" by folk who don't really know what they are doing.....????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

50yos are old enough to make their own decisions. They arent 5yos.

I think it is not that easy. Many older people here if they are not Thais have no health insurance but will cause a lot of problems and expenses if they get sick. Who will take care of this? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

"A phased opening by province when it has no more local cases."

Did you really vote this way? Wow! So far +18%.  The shutting down was never about no more cases.  This virus is out there.  It may go the way of SARS and MERS, but it may not.  The shut down was to prevent over loading the emergency services.  If you think that it should be until no more cases, then you should never, ever get in a car again in your life.  Definitely, no motorcycles and maybe you should never get on a bus in Thailand either. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I think it is not that easy. Many older people here if they are not Thais have no health insurance but will cause a lot of problems and expenses if they get sick. Who will take care of this? 

They r adults, themselves

26 minutes ago, transam said:

Not your problem....

Sure - many will think like you. But it might be a problem for the people who get sick if no insurance will pay for their treatment. What do you recommend? Ignore the problem or what? 

3 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Sure - many will think like you. But it might be a problem for the people who get sick if no insurance will pay for their treatment. What do you recommend? Ignore the problem or what? 

I have Corvid19 insurance, cost peanuts....