Thai govt to decide on extending emergency decree, easing COVID-19 restrictions

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The government will this week decide whether or not to ease the restrictions put in place to help combat the spread of COVID-19.

No doubt Mr Prayut will have a very clear recollection of his various conversations with the super-rich people he met with recently. I have no doubt whatever they told him exactly what he must do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

It is no mere coincidence that countries with the highest infection/death rates are those where restrictions are being eased. Their respective populations are well on the way to achieving herd immunity from the virus.

Thailand's incredibly low confirmed cases and deaths may appear to vindicate the administration's draconian measures. But they almost certainly mean only a small percentage of people are immune.

Unless by some miracle the virus dies out before schools are reopened, many students are likely become asymptomatic carriers and pose a serious threat to any elderly relatives in their household. 

You might be right. Time will tell, I guess. However, schools will not open yet. That is also delayed with online teaching.

5 hours ago, poohy said:

You sound exactly like my sister in the UK 

And you sound exactly like the type of fool that is the reason the virus has spread all over the place. Regarding your previous post - the barber's may be open there but there are responsible people in Thailand. My wife's salon has been closed for over a month and even if she tried opening it - the police would be there in minutes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

"Educated"  give me a break! this country is about authority and telling folk "do as your told and dont ask questions"

Ok, but then it´s no problem. Then you can go into the group of doctors that are appointed to the group giving advise about the pandemic, take your place and give good decisions. Nope, didn´t think so!

13 minutes ago, hotelbri said:

Look at Sweden, living life normally...????????

Yes, they offered the lamb (their old people) to the virus. Guess they did not put the same value on them as the rest of the world. Something I will never forgive them for.

4 hours ago, brucec64 said:

It was quite obvious from the start that this post was going to use the "road accident" analogy. Getting boring actually...

One more time for the slower ones in the room. Road accidents do not spread exponentially. One accident does not spread to 2 then to 4, ... Not the same thing at all. 

The brain cells or lack of them seem to spread among Thai drivers and motorbike riders.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ketyo said:

Ultra low transmission. And they have a curfew, hotel ban and alcohol ban. Thai logic. Are they trying to crash the economy on purpose?

If it would up their income stream, then yes.

13 minutes ago, lkv said:

So in Sweden, where life expectancy is very high already, because of a very good health system, if a 94 year old person dies today and has covid-19 as a comorbidity, instead of dying in the next 3 months because of flu or the other comorbidities already existing,  you justify closing down economies and making all the active population starve to death?

Just a comment made to get away from the reality. They sacrifice the old generation. That´s a fact. They sacrifice the ones that build the country they are taking over.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

If this measure helps support a lower to minimal infection rate from a deadly virus then it's a no brainer.

That infection rate is minimal. The death rate too...

Studies in the USA and Europe show that many people had the virus without symptoms. This means that the mortality rate is even lower than assumed. Less than 1% of infected people. 

The worldwide economy stopped because of it.. 

And Thailand allowed Chinese tourists for 2 months without hospitals or morgues being overrun. 

Nobody thinks about that..why was it necessary to close everything when Europe and the USA got hit, but not when the outbreak was in China?

The damage to lives and the economy will take forever to repair. At least the air is getting better and fewer people die from air pollution (normally about 8 million globally per year, which everyone accepts as ok)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brucec64 said:

One more time for the slower ones in the room. Road accidents do not spread exponentially. One accident does not spread to 2 then to 4, ... Not the same thing at all. 

Bad analogy. Traffic accidents don’t spread exponentially, but the vast majority of people already have the disease (driving). A small percentage of those people will eventually die as a result. 
The stats have already shown that the lockdown has saved more lives, through reduction of traffic fatalities, than the Coronvirus has killed. What is your argument against banning cars and motorcycles forever, based on that fact?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

That infection rate is minimal. The death rate too...

Studies in the USA and Europe show that many people had the virus without symptoms. This means that the mortality rate is even lower than assumed. Less than 1% of infected people. 

The worldwide economy stopped because of it.. 

And Thailand allowed Chinese tourists for 2 months without hospitals or morgues being overrun. 

Nobody thinks about that..why was it necessary to close everything when Europe and the USA got hit, but not when the outbreak was in China?

The damage to lives and the economy will take forever to repair. At least the air is getting better and fewer people die from air pollution (normally about 8 million globally per year, which everyone accepts as ok)

I hear what you say and while I agree .....  as I mentioned earlier,  it's getting the right balance virus vs economy ...  lets hope this virus is finished and kaput soon and things can pick up again.

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Exactly. He just needs to start supporting the poorest Thais or they'll be dying of other things. 

I am sure that this has already been mentioned but about 1 death a day due to the virus and about 50 deaths a day due motor cycle accidents. Why is nothing constructive done about that. Yes its all about control. Surely if Trump was in charge here he would recomend the increased consumption of alcohol to kill the virus.

Think about it this way, until almost everyone is vaccinated or gets Coronavirus and recovers...

Everytime you leave home, you have a 5% chance of catching COVID-19 and dying.

And a 95% chance of catching it and recovering.

Feeling lucky, punk? ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Everytime you leave home, you have a 5% chance of catching COVID-19 and dying.

And a 95% chance of catching it and recovering.

Change those figures to 0.05% and 99.95% and it's all good.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brucec64 said:

Congratulations on your 9th post and welcome to TVF.

The virus started to spread exponentially and this caused the lockdown to occur. Thailand was fortunate enough to start the lockdown early in the exponential cycle, and as a result was spared what happened in other countries. The straight line in yellow on the logarithmic scale indicates exponential growth. Without intervention, (around week of march 22nd), this would have grown 10x within 2 weeks, and 2 weeks after that could have been in Italy or Spain regions. This is why lockdowns are necessary, and why lockdowns work (at least in the short term).

image.png

Please cite the scientific evidence behind your rather pompous statement. And please refrain from commenting on how many posts I've made or any other irrelevant and ad hominem nonsense.

Oh, and by scientific evidence I mean actual published research not the words of authority figures whom you worship,

Thanks ????

Edited by BoojamTheKind

What will be if people become depressed as a result of the restrictions? What damage does the government cause if the restrictions continues? It is up to politicians to weigh it up, especially when - as is currently the case - fundamental rights are restricted.

• Like 2

Well it was expected so no shocks there

Plus I  hear from our local shopping Mall restrictions will be lifted

Ie more sections will be opened electrical goods and other sales which were stopped

The only question she could not answer was on will Alcohol be available 

Can imagine that one rests with the Provincial Governor 

Will be a bonus if its lifted 

3 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Ie more sections will be opened electrical goods and other sales which were stopped

I believe all the Governors are appointed by guess who. They will do what they are told.

1 minute ago, shackleton said:

Yeah so why cant they see that more people will be frequenting shopping malls than bars or restaurants? Everyone uses shopping malls, not everyone eats out or use bars! I go to BigC and apart from having some watered down sanitizer sitting on the side, there are no rules. Same with the beach, its massive haha one of the easiest places to practise social distancing. The rules are bent, that is all

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

And you sound exactly like the type of fool that is the reason the virus has spread all over the place. Regarding your previous post - the barber's may be open there but there are responsible people in Thailand. My wife's salon has been closed for over a month and even if she tried opening it - the police would be there in minutes.

Going to the local barber shop that tends to a handful of people daily is higher risk than going to a super market surrounded by 100s of people in a location that has daily foot traffic in thousands?

40 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Just a comment made to get away from the reality. They sacrifice the old generation. That´s a fact. They sacrifice the ones that build the country they are taking over.

Tell you what happens.

If the active population starves to death, then no more tax is paid in the government coffers, so you might not be getting your pension sent there in Thailand cos they ran short of money.

That way you yourself will starve to death, with or without covid.

Hope you have covid-19 insurance and they will live up to the promise. I know I would not want to catch this in a foreign country, especially one that has been proven to inflate foreigner's bill.

Oh well, either that or Thais with swords and guns on the streets hunting for richer people, since they are starving.

It's a wonderful picture.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I hear what you say and while I agree .....  as I mentioned earlier,  it's getting the right balance virus vs economy ...  lets hope this virus is finished and kaput soon and things can pick up again.

Believe me the virus is going to be around for a long time and shutting down the economy won't stop it.

• Like 2