Thai govt to decide on extending emergency decree, easing COVID-19 restrictions

webfact

12 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Imagine  a western democracy with 9 infections  and barely a death related to covid, under lockdown, curfew,alcohol ban. Highlights what sort of country Thailand is. 

You could be describing New Zealand - they've had a much harsher lockdown than Thailand, although you can buy alcohol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BoojamTheKind said:

Wow - such a deep observation - what is the basis of this profound statement?

The basis is that the country suffers, which means that the government who runs the country also suffers because no money coming in. Out of that simple reason, they are not doing this for showing who is in control. When government has done things like this to show their power before, it has always been a kind of profit included.

My short answer was short out of the reason that a thing like this should not be necessary to explain.

Edited by Matzzon

If the numbers they are publishing are right, I don't see any reason to extend the lockdown any further. Countries that are far worse effected are currently taking steps to slowly trying to get back to normal, or at least to a new normal. Thailand's numbers are so low, that I am surprised why they didn't ease the restrictions earlier.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lkv said:

Tell you what happens.

If the active population starves to death, then no more tax is paid in the government coffers, so you might not be getting your pension sent there in Thailand cos they ran short of money.

That way you yourself will starve to death, with or without covid.

Hope you have covid-19 insurance and they will live up to the promise. I know I would not want to catch this in a foreign country, especially one that has been proven to inflate foreigner's bill.

Oh well, either that or Thais with swords and guns on the streets hunting for richer people, since they are starving.

It's a wonderful picture.

???????????????????????? Wow! Best scaremongering ever! 

When it´s time for my pension, about 15 years more, then I think there have been 1 or 2 more hurdles to pass and recover from. On the other hand, I would not believe there is much at that time left, which I would be able to call pension as it are seen today. 

Why do you assume that the insurance companies still stand when you say everything else will fall?

The last one was also really funny. Swords and guns on the streets???? Really? What world are you living in, dude?

51 minutes ago, BoojamTheKind said:

Please cite the scientific evidence behind your rather pompous statement. And please refrain from commenting on how many posts I've made or any other irrelevant and ad hominem nonsense.

Oh, and by scientific evidence I mean actual published research not the words of authority figures whom you worship,

Thanks ????

You mean research from inforwars.com? Seems like the site where you most likely get your news since you won't believe anything from the "authority" figures that I supposedly worship.

BTW, congrats on your 10th post ????

Edited by brucec64

1 hour ago, Ryan754326 said:

Bad analogy. Traffic accidents don’t spread exponentially, but the vast majority of people already have the disease (driving). A small percentage of those people will eventually die as a result. 
The stats have already shown that the lockdown has saved more lives, through reduction of traffic fatalities, than the Coronvirus has killed. What is your argument against banning cars and motorcycles forever, based on that fact?

That is quite an original spin on the usually boring "traffic accidents" comparison. Driving is a disease and accidents are rising exponentially, so its the same as the coronavirus! I will definitely remember that one if I can ever get out for a beer with friends again.   Thanks for that! 

30 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

The basis is that the country suffers, which means that the government who runs the country also suffers because no money coming in. Out of that simple reason, they are not doing this for showing who is in control. When government has done things like this to show their power before, it has always been a kind of profit included.

My short answer was short out of the reason that a thing like this should not be necessary to explain.

There will be massive profits down the road for certain people and certain companies. The whole medical industrial complex is making a killing out of this. The reality is that shutting down a country can only occur if somebody is benefitting. It certainly is not "the people" who are benefitting since the infection control strategy was laughably bad.

They basically did nothing for 2 months - and that's 2 months after the peak of the holiday season when millions of Chinese had flocked to Thailand, and would have been able to spread the virus far and wide. Then suddenly in mid March they ordered the closure of 90% of businesses, and did nothing while millions of potentially infected people fled Bangkok to their provinces or to the borders. A complete disaster. Then, a couple weeks later, closing the door after the horse had bolted, they implemented a "lockdown" - after the most densely concentrated urban center had been allowed (some might say encouraged) to disperse it's population. It is hard to image a more ridiculous scenario than this.

Despite this mind boggling incompetence the rate of covid infections in Thailand remains staggeringly low, according to government data, but we know that there is very little testing going on - Thailand ranks pretty low on the tests per million scale - and we know they don't test asymptomatic people at all.

So they have crafted a scenario where the numbers are in decline after a sharp rise on March 22 which just happenened to be the day that the general shutdown started.

Your argument is that this cannot be part of a "strategy of tension" (google that) because, as you see it, nobody benefits, but you're not looking very hard to see who might be benefitting.

Edited by BoojamTheKind
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BoojamTheKind said:

Please cite the scientific evidence behind your rather pompous statement. And please refrain from commenting on how many posts I've made or any other irrelevant and ad hominem nonsense.

Oh, and by scientific evidence I mean actual published research not the words of authority figures whom you worship,

Thanks ????

yeah it was pompous and incorrect...when the measures were taken the curve was already flattening. The disease has 14 day incubation so how can you suggest the intervention immediately flattened the curve?

5 minutes ago, tlock said:

They are no longer attempting to "flatten the curve".  The curve is flat.  Apparently they believe they can completely eradicate the virus.  

I think there is a more benign reason to extend the decree. Basically, all of the various shutdown orders - airports, checkpoints, provincial restrictions, alcohol bans, etc. have the emergency decree as their legal basis. Without the decree, all of these orders become null and void. It will take at least a month to unwind all these orders, and to determine the appropriate balance between safety and economic necessity. Most likely we will see a gradual lifting of the restrictions where possible during this month, in order to get as many people back to work as possible. Businesses will have to adapt to provide a safe environment because this situation we are in will not go away for the next 6 to 18 months. This is the scenario that is starting to play out in countries around the world.

Having said that, international travel and bars will probably be at the end of the list...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Call it what you want. It´s here and apparently it´s extended another month. Please try to survive. However, if you stay in this beautiful country you will have to live with it. Of course, you have the freedom of choice to stay or not to stay when they offer flights again.

Nowhere to go, this is my home. 

• Like 1

Hrmmm...

Keep it secret why don't you? No point giving the plebs more to worry about eh?

Besides, they wouldn't be able to understand what it all meant anyway. That requires a Prayuth/Prawit/Unutin intellect.

God help us all. We're all doomed. Doomed I say...

Edited by ParkerN

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've always been able to buy alcohol. As an alcoholic, it's rather important unless I want to see pink buffaloes flying through the air. 

Don't  loose the faith , stay in control , fight boredom , and virus panic..

Local mama and papa shop,  helping me , too much .

Price , same same ..

Edited by elliss

7 hours ago, KhunJH said:

What can you get in Macro, [I don't shop in Macro], that is so much better than in Tesco?

The list is endless ,never been able to buy lamb chops ,a good steak,bread rolls,ect ,ect,ect, take me an hour to list all the products that you can’t buy at Tesco compared to Macro

• Like 1

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

seems sensible to me, lift some restrictions but keep the social distance in place. 

What social distance, here in CM the only people to get seperated are the ones waiting on there free hand out. Riding around town on the bike people all over each other.

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

And you sound exactly like the type of fool that is the reason the virus has spread all over the place. Regarding your previous post - the barber's may be open there but there are responsible people in Thailand. My wife's salon has been closed for over a month and even if she tried opening it - the police would be there in minutes.

Well look here

its not polite to call someone a fool so will assume you are just ignorant with a wife that owns a barbers shop that's closed ...actually i have no need to go to barbers BUT  its time to get over this now before this and every countries economies are devastated

PS you and my sister would get on well ,but shes a professional  shes called me far worse than you did????

I have been more impressed with Asians trying to stay healthy, than the American

Yahoos protesting, for their liberty, which they already have. I even seen an example of how

much spittle flys from your mouth in normal conversation, but right after the

video,the reporter said, do not have to wear masks unless you are sick or work in the health industry.

I think that some Americans and many other people, are just too stupid to

understand any thing done for safety of yourself or others around you

is not a bad thing.  Masks and rubber gloves can help you be safer. Stupidity can

kill you. Easy choice.

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
errors
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I have been more impressed with Asians trying to stay healthy, than the American

Yahoos protesting, for their liberty, which they already have. I even seen an example of how

much spittle flys from your mouth in normal conversation, but right after the

video,the reporter said, do not have to wear masks unless you are sick or work in the health industry.

I think that some Americans and many other people, are just too stupid to

understand any thing done for safety of yourself or others around you

is not a bad thing.  Masks and rubber gloves can help you be safer. Stupidity can

kill you. Easy choice.

Geezer

Gloves are pointless unless you change them everytime you touch something new. Gloves still get infected the same as your hands, so your stupidity thinking otherwise might be the death of you and those who think gloves are a barrier between contracting the virus, or not

• Like 2