Two Americans afraid to go back home, want to remain in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Not really,  just had a good bonk with my GF and she has brought me a mussuman curry for dinner.

You did claim to be teaching English at an Issan school in a prior post, so you either have memory problems or are economical with the truth. On the other hand, you can take what I say as gospel.

"Teaching English at an Issan school" or "Logistics in the Netherlands"

"Pants on fire"!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 2:59 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Still trying to figure out how they managed to get here 14 days ago. Were not all flights stopped unless you met certain restrictions, like being a diplomat, pilot, a Thai national or had a work permit.  If so how did these two get into the country and into quarantine, unless they are also American born Thais who have Thai nationality...But with those dreadlocks I doubt they are Thai.....

There are plenty of dreadlocked Thais on Khao San Road and at the Full Moon party on Koh Phanghan island.

1 hour ago, curlylekan said:

Thatnk you so much for your education. I will look to you next time my English ge43ts bad that I m34ust get help. Oh <deleted>, my language, is getting bad agaigrn and I should not use "I am before teaching because I currently do not teach there.

Oh no, I need your corrections again. I see I did a bad job. Please correct me some more, your highness

Sorry, it would be pointless - you don't appear to have the correct attitude for "corrective edification"! ????

On 4/27/2020 at 3:50 AM, JoePai said:

Sensible, who in their right mind would want to go back to the US?

There are 380,000,000 people in the USA.

Even with the massive amount of Covid cases, the odds are 10 to 1 higher that you get killed with a lightning strike.

That being said, there are many areas with no cases at all.

Panicking is not the answer, no, the sky is not falling, cancer kills more people every year.

Amazing how people smoke cigarettes and worry about Covid and not cancer? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, billsmart said:

Yes, I agree with them. I am a US citizen and I feel much safer here than I would in the US.

The odds are 10 times higher that you die being struck by lightning, than Covid 19.

Does that make you feel safer?

12 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Food supplies running short? Where do you get your info? We are back in the US and my main problem is that grocery stores are full of stuff compared to the limited foreign food choices in Thailand.

Agree. No shortages of food where I live.

All the restaurants have their drive-thru's open and carry out.

On 4/27/2020 at 5:09 AM, yourauntbob said:

I am both and will remain here until the situation gets better.

Medical care is better and cheaper here and even with the curfew there is more freedom.  Not to mention the shutdown over there now has food supplies running short.

Tip! Don't believe everything you read.

NO food shortages here.

All the restaurants have call in pickup available.

All others the drive-thru's are still open.

Gas prices lowest they have been in years.

$2400 stimulus check.

Get to work from home which is the greatest thing ever. Company provided all the equipment.

People keep their social distance, which even without a virus is a great thing.

Surprising how much money a person can save in a week without all the unnecessary going out, driving to work, etc.

We are near the ocean, can always get out whenever we want.

Beer? Yes lots of beer in the stores.

Where I live, if you never listened to the news, you would never know that there is a pandemic.

Life is better than ever.

• Like 1

It never ceases to amaze me how much misinformation and disdain many on this forum have towards the US. Food shortages... lol   My Thai wife and all her Thai friends and relatives feel much safer in the US then Thailand.

Also, farangs are viewed as coronavirus carrying and dangerous and the Thai do not want them around. We heard of instances where the local Thai requested the poo yai bann to tell the farangs to leave eating shops.

Maybe those two wanting to stay in Thailand knew about this:

"Safety guarantee added to lure tourists back to ‘Amazing Thailand"

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386925?utm_source=bottom_relate&utm_medium=internal_referral

54 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Agree. No shortages of food where I live.

All the restaurants have their drive-thru's open and carry out.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-27/americans-face-meat-shortages-while-farmers-are-forced-to-cull

Americans on Cusp of Meat Shortage With Food Chain Breaking Down

The coronavirus pandemic is pushing the food supply chain to its limits.

Plant shutdowns are leaving Americans dangerously close to seeing meat shortages at grocery stores. Meanwhile, farmers are facing the likely culling of millions of animals and mass burial graves could soon be dug across the heartland.

“The food supply chain is breaking,” said John Tyson, chairman of Tyson Foods Inc., the biggest U.S. meat company.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

Per Johns Hopkins, typically, the CV lately has been killing about 2000 American each and every day, total since the beginning now over 50,000. And that's just the dead, not all the many more who have been sickened, hospitalized, thrown out of work, etc etc... Total "officially identified" infections in the U.S. now approaching 1 million people.

And those numbers reflect a country that's only testing/identifying a small portion of its population. And clearly from various reports having many more people sickened and dead than are being officially tallied, because of the lack of comprehensive testing including for people who have died.

All those folks above might disagree with your notion that "life is better than ever."

On April 26, the CDC reported 928,619 total cases (32,853 new from the previous day; 2,663 probable) and 50,439 deaths (2,020 new from the previous day; 5,402 probable). In total, 18 states reported more than 10,000 cases (no change), including New York with more than 200,000; New Jersey more than 100,000; and Massachusetts more than 50,000. In total, 35 states (decrease of 2) are reporting widespread community transmission. Based on recent daily incidence trends, the United States could reach 1 million cases in 2-3 days.

The Johns Hopkins CSSE dashboard is reporting 972,969 US cases and 55,118 deaths as of 12:30pm on April 27.

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/COVID-19-Updates---April-27.html?soid=1107826135286&aid=tUqMuxpj3S4

Trump raises his virus death toll projection to up to 70,000 in U.S.

President Donald Trump on Monday acknowledged more Americans would die of the coronavirus than he has recently predicted, now saying that the nationwide toll is likely to be between 60,000 and 70,000.

More than 56,000 have already died, according to the Johns Hopkins tracker.

"So, yeah, we've lost a lot of people," Trump said during a press briefing in the Rose Garden. "But if you look at what original projections were, 2.2 million, we are probably heading to 60,000 to 70,000."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-raises-virus-death-toll-234048448.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

There are 380,000,000 people in the USA.

Even with the massive amount of Covid cases, the odds are 10 to 1 higher that you get killed with a lightning strike.

That being said, there are many areas with no cases at all.

Panicking is not the answer, no, the sky is not falling, cancer kills more people every year.

Amazing how people smoke cigarettes and worry about Covid and not cancer? 

One has a choice whether to smoke or not. The odds of dying of lung cancer if you are a smoker are 20 times that of a non-smoker.

Coronavirus gives choices as well. Governments can choose to isolate, or subscribe to the herd immunity hypothesis. The jury is still out on which will be more effective long-term.

Smokers are right to worry about COVID-19. They have diminished lung capacity, 30 - 50% of normal. As coronavirus in its most severe form attacks the lungs, their prognosis is most unfavorable.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, unamazedloso said:

so the amnesty is off? Why is this a story if they dont have to leave anyway?

I expect,no intention,no money,visa expired,any excuse not to get back to the land of Hypocrites,BS,backstabbers.where most people live with their heads in the sand,but really its up their own <deleted>.

BTW,No experience of the USA,only watched the telly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

get a new calculator

Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Serious,
Critical
Tot Cases/
1M pop
Deaths/
1M pop
Total
Tests
Tests/
1M pop
World 3,088,384 +25,869 212,811 +1,362 935,228 1,940,345 56,322 396 27.3    
USA 1,013,290 +2,934 57,043

They should've gone to Specsavers!

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I just spoke to my father, and he indicated that there is now a glut of food at stores and the prices have been reduced by as much as 30% where he is living in Northern California.  His city has also only had 5 Covid-19 infections and they have all been released from the hospital.  Yet the whole of California is still shutdown.

Hmmm, shopping centers and other main stores are closed. Safeway is open as other food supply stores. Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid, liquor stores and many restaurants are open for take out only. Some open spaces are closed or do not allow people to park by the road. 

image.thumb.png.99fd6b18fb30690dbac55d7a46496505.png

image.thumb.png.f6a70eca59d6b7b62295d70c109ba67a.png

image.thumb.png.b2725e0e1f753cb8c54dead4d21dd157.png

Edited by GoodieAfterDark

After 4 months at my home in Thailand I departed April 14 on Korean Air to ICN, then Delta to the US - flying out of Thailand is not a problem. 

In San Diego the situation is really is not bad at all. The community is very quiet, many shops closed, but grocery stores, pharmacies, and restaurant take readily available.

It is great to be back, earning my salary, and I look forward to returning to my Thai home in 6 months.

Just hope the start of Thai schools is not delayed more than a couple of weeks - cancel the frequent holidays to make up the missed class time. But safety of the children comes first. 

• Haha 1

Good thinking on their part; I wouldn't want to return to Chicago or NYC or New Wherever;  Surprise Surprise, a couple blacks from America don't wan't to go back there. That story has been told since undocumented immigration from Africa began. Never met a black that didn't hate America.

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Tip! Don't believe everything you read.

NO food shortages here.

All the restaurants have call in pickup available.

All others the drive-thru's are still open.

Gas prices lowest they have been in years.

$2400 stimulus check.

Get to work from home which is the greatest thing ever. Company provided all the equipment.

People keep their social distance, which even without a virus is a great thing.

Surprising how much money a person can save in a week without all the unnecessary going out, driving to work, etc.

We are near the ocean, can always get out whenever we want.

Beer? Yes lots of beer in the stores.

Where I live, if you never listened to the news, you would never know that there is a pandemic.

Totally agree with this . I turned the news off weeks ago and I’m really enjoying this so called lockdown ! Long may it continue .