Two Americans afraid to go back home, want to remain in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, Iron Tongue said:

Nobody wants to go to Sweden right now with their herd immunity experiment!  No lockdown, no quarantine, just let people get sick approach is making plenty of dead Swedes!

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/total-deaths-covid-19?country=DNK+FIN+NOR+SWE" 

You do realize that this was all about flattening the curve right.

Meaning fewer deaths up front and more spread out.

They did this social distancing thing not to stop people from dying but to spread the infections out over a longer period of time so as not to overwhelm hospitals.

So, Sweden has more on the front end. Everyone else has more on the backend.

It will eventually even out.

The vaccine is still a year or so away.

Edited by DaveK68

6 minutes ago, DaveK68 said:

You do realize that this was all about flattening the curve right.

Meaning fewer deaths up front and more spread out.

They did this social distancing thing not to stop people from dying but to spread the infections out over a longer period of time so as not to overwhelm hospitals.

So, Sweden has more on the front end. Everyone else has more on the backend.

It will eventually even out.

It's pretty amazing how many don't seem to understand this. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, yourauntbob said:

I am both and will remain here until the situation gets better.

Medical care is better and cheaper here and even with the curfew there is more freedom.  Not to mention the shutdown over there now has food supplies running short.

That's true.

The Media inspired panic has set the US up for a bit of hardship. 

It doesn't help that Trump and Congress are idiots.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, keith101 said:

They cant leave unless the US sends a plane to pick up stranded citizens while bringing back Thais here . 

you don't HAVE to be irresponsible, ignorant, and stupid. Seriously. Misleading people with uninformed statements can have serious consequences. All you have to do is fact check before you say something. DUH. There are plenty of flights out of here to the US. I'm booked on ANA flight 350 on 31 May. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, runamok27 said:

It's pretty amazing how many don't seem to understand this. 

Reading comprehension issues.

Sweden's death rate is only 2/10s of 1% of the population. That is not much worse than the seasonal flu.

The media driven panic has caused more damage to the world than China could have dreamed. 

WuhanV experiment is a success. lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, JohnnyChristo said:

211,000 dead in US alone!!

April 28, 2020, 05:14 GMT update:

Total cases: 3,065,090

Recovered: 922,848

Died: 211,620

That’s the whole world. Are you trying to get a job writing  for the Washington Compost?

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Oldie said:

"They expressed gratitude toward Thai medical personnel who, they said, took care of them very well." 

Time to present them the bill... 

It'll still be less expensive than if they were detained... I mean "quarantined" in the US

Edited by Abmong
spelling

5 minutes ago, allen303 said:

April 28, 2020, 05:14 GMT update:

Total cases: 3,065,090

Recovered: 922,848

Died: 211,620

That’s the whole world. Are you trying to get a job writing  for the Washington Compost?

These people hate truth. That's all there is.

1 hour ago, allen303 said:

Where do you get twice the rate? Its true it affects African American people more because of their life style. The AA tend to smoke more, be overweight, eat more fatty food. Generally, they have a far worse life style. It also kills males at a greater rate and unsure why at this point. Some have suggested its because females have a stronger immune system then males.

As for the US, stay out of NY and New jersey, that’s over half the cases in the US. Health care is the best in the world, no food shortages, no alcohol shortages. Just disliking the US is most of the problem on this forum.

I live in America and can tell you for absolute certainty that it’s not even close to being the best healthcare in the world . Closer to bottom of countries in the developed world . You are a client and not a patient it’s all about extracting as much money as they possibly can . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Food supplies running short? Where do you get your info? We are back in the US and my main problem is that grocery stores are full of stuff compared to the limited foreign food choices in Thailand.

There is talk of meat shortages.

An overall food shortage is unlikely.

That said, there are many folks starting gardens just in case. I'm thinking about it myself. I like growing veggies anyway.

14 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

If you stay out of the Northeast, you are pretty safe in the US.

Statistics tell a skewed tale.

Over half of the infections and deaths are in NY, NJ, Mass and Conn. Most of those are concentrated in their ghettoes which is why it seems that the virus affects Black people worse. It's not about their skin color. It's about their financial situation. 

The Welfare State is to blame for this. The State dependent are least likely to be able to socially distance in urban areas. They're stacked on top of each other in Liberal Welfare housing projects.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

I live in America and can tell you for absolute certainty that it’s not even close to being the best healthcare in the world . Closer to bottom of countries in the developed world . You are a client and not a patient it’s all about extracting as much money as they possibly can . 

Well I have zero complaint unless I go to the VA, then I have them refer me down town if possible. I can see my civilian doctor usually within 2 -3 days if I need an apt., I can get meds refiled on the patient portal. Last major should operation 2 years ago was done by Gulf Coast Orthopedic center, one of the best in the world. You know you are in the right place when you see pictures of all the famous athletes signed on the wall. Took two weeks to set up, mainly because my doctor was on a sky trip to Aspin! I guess it depends what city you are in.

If you don’t like the care you get from your doctor then find another one. Tell them the problem, if they don’t get in line walk out and find another.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, DaveK68 said:

There is talk of meat shortages.

An overall food shortage is unlikely.

That said, there are many folks starting gardens just in case. I'm thinking about it myself. I like growing veggies anyway.

Here on ThaiVisa!!!

5 minutes ago, DaveK68 said:

If you stay out of the Northeast, you are pretty safe in the US.

Statistics tell a skewed tale.

Over half of the infections and deaths are in NY, NJ, Mass and Conn. Most of those are concentrated in their ghettoes which is why it seems that the virus affects Black people worse. It's not about their skin color. It's about their financial situation. 

The Welfare State is to blame for this. The State dependent are least likely to be able to socially distance in urban areas. They're stacked on top of each other in Liberal Welfare housing projects.

What you say is correct. However, what do you think should be done about it? I can't see a Republican President moving them all into McMansions.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Abmong said:

It'll still be less expensive than if they were detained... I mean "quaranteed" in the US

Safer too, medicine in America is the 3rd biggest killer after heart

disease and cancer.

Trumps about right, UV is useable and bleach absorbed through

the skin is similar to a swimming pool, a tiny trace will enter the

blood stream, could be taken in the form of a nicotine patch,

which is itself a powerful poison.

45 minutes ago, allen303 said:

Well I have zero complaint unless I go to the VA, then I have them refer me down town if possible. I can see my civilian doctor usually within 2 -3 days if I need an apt., I can get meds refiled on the patient portal. Last major should operation 2 years ago was done by Gulf Coast Orthopedic center, one of the best in the world. You know you are in the right place when you see pictures of all the famous athletes signed on the wall. Took two weeks to set up, mainly because my doctor was on a sky trip to Aspin! I guess it depends what city you are in.

If you don’t like the care you get from your doctor then find another one. Tell them the problem, if they don’t get in line walk out and find another.

Sorry, SHOULDER!

22 hours ago, Ventenio said:

some are starting in June.  Quarantine is then two weeks prior.

most start in July, so then I'm GUESSING quarantine around June 15th

7 days a week.....hahahhahahhahhaha......well, all that means is teachers will be even lazier and play youtube while surfing facebook and wondering why they can't speak English.  

You clearly have no idea at all what you are talking about.

2 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

You clearly have no idea at all what you are talking about.

School's here in Thailand is what he was referencing.  A comment I made about them starting in July, for the majority of them, and for the possibility of them going 7 days a week from a statement made to me by an office staff member at my daughters government school.  But then everything is still up in the air...

• Confused 1