Living on Phratumnak

jakubec

Give it a bit of time. Covid is shaking up the economy in ways nobody could have predicted. I see a massive price correction in the near future. You never want to be in a position of paying historic highs for anything.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Name a location in Pattaya that are similar to Pratumnak when it comes to distance from for example Thappraya Rd when coming either from Jomtien or Pattaya. You need to walk or take a mc taxi every time. 

Sorry Max I was discussing Soi dogs with Scuba.

39 minutes ago, newnative said:

But the main reason is to own my own space to do what I want with it, have my own furniture and artwork, and so on

Yes, where else could I have my own 3 Venus De Milo statues and Sistene chapel ceiling than my 26 sqm condo!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 2

On 4/30/2020 at 11:36 AM, essox essox said:

some people, like ME do not like motorbike for a taxi......I have not been on one for years (been here ten yrs)

SO convenient when you need one. Leave the driving to us, eh. Thrills & chills. Some good joking around w/ the driver, starting with laughing at the original fare and bargaining down. "Whoops!" "Did you that?" Some of those drivers deserve a tip just being such great characters. They've been quite helpful on occasion, running my passport in for 90-day report, delivering something, giving directions. Kinda miss 'em in other countries. Yeah, that's just me. ????

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Name a location in Pattaya that are similar to Pratumnak when it comes to distance from for example Thappraya Rd when coming either from Jomtien or Pattaya. You need to walk or take a mc taxi every time. 

That's a point. Never liked that steep hill. I think Naklua would be a viable alternative. More of a local feel and variety, very convenient, closer in, walk's not bad at all from the beach.

• Like 1

It is pricey on Prat Hill to rely on taxis, but I don't go into town much. Popular Thai restaurant bext door, 7-11 on the corner, massage next to that, produce market around the other corner. Love the near constant ocean breezes high on the hill. Be sure your balcony isn't blocked from them. Very quiet at night. I have roomy 1-bdrm, 1 1/2 bath, 2 balcony seaview condo with great lap pool, exercise and steam rooms, excellent maintenance and security, for 8300b a month.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 8:46 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Let me tell you then, many people don't want to get on a motorbike let alone a taxi bike, certainly not regularly, plus Pratamak has 100s of soi dogs that turn even more aggressive at night, so walking back late at night is risky

Up to them, no being willing to drive or at least use m/c taxis certainly makes this more of a pain to get around.

Before you do anything I'd strongly suggest you Google the top 5 developers in pattaya.Lots of developers claim they have the best quality developments in town,but they don't tell you about having to replace whole floors of tiles,I know for a fact a very well known developer had to rip up and replace whole floors of tiles cause they were lifting,main cause,no spacing between the tiles,happened to a condo I was staying in for a while,grout falling out from between wall tiles.Maybe other people have more horror stories about second rate workmanship in different buildings.

18 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

Maybe other people have more horror stories about second rate workmanship in different buildings.

Second rate workmanship might well be a step up!

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, Victornoir said:

Lived some time there. For me, all the inconveniences of town without any advantage.

The icing on the cake, the sewers that flow directly onto the beach, releasing an odor of old sh..t that spreads throughout the area.

never noticed any smell in 20 years.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 10:36 AM, scubascuba3 said:

If you genuinely lived there you'd realize there are 100s of dogs, mostly they are ok but sometimes not, depends what day, weather, mood, walking back home late at night where dogs are is risky, most people understand that

I've lived here over 20 years, and don't see "100s" of dogs at any time. Why don't you just admit you don't like it instead hijacking the thread with inane comments

1 hour ago, mighty said:

I've lived here over 20 years, and don't see "100s" of dogs at any time. Why don't you just admit you don't like it instead hijacking the thread with inane comments

The truth is you don't get out much and when you do you don't walk around Pratamak. I go down many sois either walking or cycling, 100s of dogs. Go down Mad Dog Alley from Strava off Pratamak hill and let me know how many you see

On 5/4/2020 at 4:57 PM, scubascuba3 said:

The truth is you don't get out much and when you do you don't walk around Pratamak. I go down many sois either walking or cycling, 100s of dogs. Go down Mad Dog Alley from Strava off Pratamak hill and let me know how many you see

only walk around every day, soi 4,5 & 6. See random dogs, never in groups of more than 2-3

On 5/4/2020 at 4:57 PM, scubascuba3 said:

There's a lot of dogs, they bark, they're in big packs but if you walk with good posture and show no fear there's very little chance of getting bitten.

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

There's a lot of dogs, they bark, they're in big packs but if you walk with good posture and show no fear there's very little chance of getting bitten.

A bit like walking into a bar, I suppose.  It's all about the posture.  ????

8 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

It depends, anyone who walks regularly will know that the dogs mood can vary daily, some would probably never bite you but others would, one day you walk in a soi and dogs do nothing, the next time the same dogs all get aggressive, don't bank on your posture stopping it

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mighty said:

only walk around every day, soi 4,5 & 6. See random dogs, never in groups of more than 2-3

They are practicing social distancing..... but seriously, when dogs pack it is always more than 3. 

12 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Maybe in the bars you go to?

I go to all types of bars, nightclubs, live music venues, and gentleman's clubs.  Did you say you don't actually live in Pattaya?   

When I came to Pattaya 15 years ago I seriously investigated many properties in the Pratumnak area in the 10m-20m Baht range as it was at the time the best place to live.

In the end my wife made the decision and we bought land outside and built our own house.

My point to you is this, many of the properties I viewed back then had spectacular views from the hill to the bay, but when I go back there now many of them have had the view obscured by new and larger properties built in front of them.

Be very careful that you don't buy a nice apartment on the 20th floor with a view, only to find later that your view is straight into the 30th floor of the apartment block built later. Whatever guarantees you have from the developer that this will not happen are not worth anything.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, crobe said:

Be very careful that you don't buy a nice apartment on the 20th floor with a view, only to find later that your view is straight into the 30th floor of the apartment block built later.

And a year or two of noise and dust to contend with before that happens!

10 hours ago, crobe said:

When I came to Pattaya 15 years ago I seriously investigated many properties in the Pratumnak area in the 10m-20m Baht range as it was at the time the best place to live.

In the end my wife made the decision and we bought land outside and built our own house.

My point to you is this, many of the properties I viewed back then had spectacular views from the hill to the bay, but when I go back there now many of them have had the view obscured by new and larger properties built in front of them.

Be very careful that you don't buy a nice apartment on the 20th floor with a view, only to find later that your view is straight into the 30th floor of the apartment block built later. Whatever guarantees you have from the developer that this will not happen are not worth anything.

Location, location, location.  That is why you buy beachfront. Go big or go home.  Most expensive properties continue to appreciate, but are out of reach for most Cheap Charlies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Location, location, location.  That is why you buy beachfront. Go big or go home.  Most expensive properties continue to appreciate, but are out of reach for most Cheap Charlies.

I agree, the 3 L's.

Been living in the same house for nearly 2 decades, sure Id like a change but locations I prefer is limited for housing.

The location factor importance was shown recently when the roads were blocked getting into Pattaya City.

Beachfront is nice but when events are held, Jet Ski World Cup etc it becomes a nightmare if you want to go anywhere.