Well done Thailand for Covid-19 response! Foreign tourism set to return in fourth quarter

webfact

8 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

thais have been seduced my mass tourism over 20odd years and the easy money gravey train and they think it will be all return to normal but they maybe sorely dissapointed...when its just a trickle of 2 week jiggy jiggy tourists

What a silly statement, at least state "some Thai's" in a few areas have been "seduced"! Or are you not aware that tourism, at it's best "was" ~15% of GDP, what do you think the other 85% do, will they be also be disapointed in "jiggy jiggy" tourism?

46 minutes ago, Susco said:

Which is to be expected, then it drops, then you remove another restriction and so on.

In Thailand there will be zero cases once they drop to zero (in a few more days). And they will stay zero until they want to panic the population a bit, bring it back under control, then it will be in double digits.

All they have to do is just test a bit.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

just confirmed the hospital is offering covid testing for 230 RMB, about 1000 baht.

and that's a good thing, i guess.  found out today that we here on hainan have a new case, first new case in over six weeks.  63-yo returnee from wuhan, asymptomatic. 

they traced and tested 344 contacts.  closed and disinfected her housing area and a nearby supermarket.  (actually a small shop about the size of a mini-tesco convenience mart)

worrying.  those from wuhan are required to undergo 14 days quarantine, being tested on arrival and again before release, same as with the overseas returnees.

That is the worst part - the asymptomatic people.  

To state that tourism being back in the fourth quarter is as ridiculous as injecting bleach in your veins.  

The next thing that we need is a standard medical treatment or some drugs that will help with it.  

Speaking from experience, when you ask for insurance overseas none of it is going to cover COVID.  A vaccine is required for travel.  Once it become available, then it's time to start talking about opening up to tourism and even then it will be a little while.  

38 minutes ago, lkv said:

Which is to be expected, then it drops, then you remove another restriction and so on.

In Thailand there will be zero cases once they drop to zero (in a few more days). And they will stay zero until they want to panic the population a bit, bring it back under control, then it will be in double digits.

Yes it will always go up, because the curve is flattened now it's time to manage is properly.  

Life will not be going back to normal until a vaccine is available.  This cannot be over-stated.  

Assuming the travel restrictions are lifted I am planning a 2 week trip to France in July followed directly by a month long trip to Thailand to visit the GF. I am hoping I can just come in on as a tourist on a 30 day visa exemption without any special health or insurance requirements

fingers crossed

2 hours ago, JohnBZ said:

Chinese virus test was perceived to be not accurate overseas.  It is cheap but it is better if one can have end or 3rd test just to be sure.  By the way, when do you think China will open again for foreigners to enter?

no idea.  it's a big country with many regions, all hit differently.  some like wuhan suffered the confeve apocalypse, while other areas like hainan were mostly unaffected.

each province is following its own schedule to reopen, for business and for schools.  as they already have slightly different tourism visa zones, no reason they couldn't try something similar when they decide to open tourism.

by that i mean some of the larger cities already allow transit visitors to spend 48 or 72 hours in the immediate area visa free.  i would expect them to do something like that for specific virus free areas, allowing entry from other countries similarly virus free.  that surely would require a test to enter, then a test to return home, with follow-up testing according to some schedule. 

i'd also expect them to waive or massively reduce the visa fees if they want to "lure" tourists.  and would only work if there is no longer a quarantine requirement.

2 hours ago, expat1010 said:

I am hoping I can just come in on as a tourist on a 30 day visa exemption without any special health or insurance requirements

Fingers crossed, but in my opinion Thailand will become even a more closed society than was before covid, in the future. And the pandemic will be used as an excuse.

Thaivisaservice.com states (and I don't know if it's accurate), that:

Visa on Arrival: due to outbreak of Corana virus Thailand has stopped issuing VOA, from 13th March up to 30th September 2020

So Chinese will likely be applying in Beijing for a while.

I expect visa exempt to be regulated geographically, on so called high risk countries (from Thailand's p.o.v. at least).

If you see the level China has taken it at, you would think it's unbelievable. They have these Party employees dressed in red, at every corner of the street asking you where you go, and you are tracked everywhere. The level of control and tracking is absolutely staggering.

I predict further control and tracking in the future on Thailand's side.

Here's a good watch from Deutsche Welle. Enjoy.

Edited by lkv

On 4/28/2020 at 3:02 PM, Gene1960 said:

I have just booked my November 2920 flight back to Phuket with Emirates. Let’s see how the situation is going to develop. 

I am pretty sure there will be a antidote for the Wohan China virus by then but can you really wait that long??? ????

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

no idea.  it's a big country with many regions, all hit differently.  some like wuhan suffered the confeve apocalypse, while other areas like hainan were mostly unaffected.

each province is following its own schedule to reopen, for business and for schools.  as they already have slightly different tourism visa zones, no reason they couldn't try something similar when they decide to open tourism.

by that i mean some of the larger cities already allow transit visitors to spend 48 or 72 hours in the immediate area visa free.  i would expect them to do something like that for specific virus free areas, allowing entry from other countries similarly virus free.  that surely would require a test to enter, then a test to return home, with follow-up testing according to some schedule. 

i'd also expect them to waive or massively reduce the visa fees if they want to "lure" tourists.  and would only work if there is no longer a quarantine requirement.

I do not see China depend so much on tourist revenue.  I think they are going to let big time CEO to go into China for business first and then people with China work visa. Tourists would be after that.  I do not see China open for foreign tourists till like at least 2 months later

They seem not to plan reopen WS vert soon as they start ripping the street open for long time needed repairs 

Quote from article:

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/with-go-go-bars-closed-pattaya-rips-up-walking-street-297620

"During high season, the chaos and destruction of having Walking Street ripped up normally would have been unthinkable. But with bars likely closed until July or later, the city is taking the opportunity to complete the project, only affecting drivers during the day. The work is expected to take five months."

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/with-go-go-bars-closed-pattaya-rips-up-walking-street-297620

2020-05-01_000407.png

Edited by david555

distancing on planes mean they fly very empty which is not viable to do..every other row with centre seats not used wont be viable ,and what happenes when u need to visit the wc?..

https://www.ft.com/content/ddb067bd-c54d-49cd-be1c-bda77f8b8527

https://www.ft.com/content/ddb067bd-c54d-49cd-be1c-bda77f8b8527

“We can’t make money on 66 per cent load factors. Even if you do that, the middle seat doesn’t deliver any social distancing, so it’s kind of an idiotic idea that doesn’t achieve anything anyway,” he said.

Edited by 3NUMBAS

On 4/29/2020 at 11:39 PM, lkv said:

'then it drops'

Or goes up further!

On 5/1/2020 at 12:02 AM, david555 said:

"During high season, the chaos and destruction of having Walking Street ripped up normally would have been unthinkable. But with bars likely closed until July or later, the city is taking the opportunity to complete the project, only affecting drivers during the day. The work is expected to take five months."

So it'll be a construction yard for the next 15 years then.

Strange I drove down Walking street yesterday and the only "ripping up" I saw was  of some of the beer bars

they where also  doing  "works"  to the MIX  building at the Bali Hai end..everything was closed  just a few forlorn looking security guards and motorcycle taxis sitting around.

Beijing just announced that the city of Beijing coronavirus risk levels will be downgraded twice from level I to level III by the May 31st. 

Chinese will be coming soon and could be as soon as this June, certainly sooner than the 4th quarter!

17 hours ago, johng said:

Strange I drove down Walking street yesterday and the only "ripping up" I saw was  of some of the beer bars

they where also  doing  "works"  to the MIX  building at the Bali Hai end..everything was closed  just a few forlorn looking security guards and motorcycle taxis sitting around.

Holiday weeked?

11 hours ago, JohnBZ said:

Beijing just announced that the city of Beijing coronavirus risk levels will be downgraded twice from level I to level III by the May 31st. 

Chinese will be coming soon and could be as soon as this June, certainly sooner than the 4th quarter!

How can they come in June if in Thailand we are still not even allowed travelling to another province

Edited by Anton9