Thailand reports 9 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths

webfact

Nine new Covid-19 cases make it single-digit increase for third consecutive day

The Nation

800_f0650baeefbd74c.jpg?v=1588140486

Thailand reported single-digit Covid-19 cases for the third successive day with nine new cases confirmed over a 24-hour period, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, the spokesman of the government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Wednesday (April 29).

The total number of Covid-19 patients increased to 2,947.

The new cases can be divided into two groups.

The first group of six were in close contact with previous cases (three in Bangkok and three in Phuket)

The second group comprised two medical staff while the source of infection of one patient is under investigation.

Meanwhile, 13 people have fully recovered and returned home. Patient recovery percentage is 90.43.

Of the nine new cases, four were found in Phuket, three in Bangkok and two in Samut Prakarn provinces.

As of April 29, the total number of confirmed cases in the country stood at 2,947 -- 228 are under treatment, 2,665 have recovered and been discharged, and there have been 54 deaths.

Globally, there are more than 3.1 million confirmed cases and around 217,000 deaths

Dr Taweesin said that in the case of a one-month-old baby who contracted Covid-19, the mother can breastfeed since the virus does not transfer via milk but the mother still needs to protect herself by wearing mask and face shield.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386980

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-29

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

How many tests are they carrying out these days? 

If I was a cynic (and a pessimist) I'd say that as the headline noted 9 new cases, they probably didn't do more than 9 tests.

For everyone touting Sweden, take note that they only test people "with the most severe symptoms" despite knowing that you can carry the virus (and infect others) without showing any symptoms at all !

It has been a criticism of other countries as well (like the UK) that they only test those showing severe symptoms. One reason being is that it makes the total number of infections seem lower.
For example (again) - Sweden shows a very low number of infections but even the government's own Health Service estimates that by next month (May) 26% of Sweden's population may be infected !! (Some experts estimate if could be as high as half the population.)

And the current "buzzword of the day" is "flatten the curve". Many places are more worried about making it appear that they've "flattened the curve" (reduced the numbers of infections and/or deaths as shown by various graphs and charts) than they are with actually testing the population, which would screw up the graphs.

Edited by Kerryd

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Pattaya City has now gone a full two weeks - one incubation cycle for the virus - without recording a new case. With the mayor's "ring of steel" around the Bright Side of the city preventing unclean interlopers from entering, surely it must be C19-free now and life can return fully to normal. What's the hold-up? 

Not all businesses dead yet. Give it 1 more month. And lets ppl get use to "new normal" 

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Pattaya City has now gone a full two weeks - one incubation cycle for the virus - without recording a new case. With the mayor's "ring of steel" around the Bright Side of the city preventing unclean interlopers from entering, surely it must be C19-free now and life can return fully to normal. What's the hold-up? 

Normal for Pattaya = hordes of foreign tourists. So, no, it won't go back to normal this year, or longer. Should be able to buy a beer though. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

New Zealand beat them to it by declaring that they were Covid-19 free yesterday! ????

But they are still recording a few cases each day. They can say what they want but they ain't covid free. I would want to see a month without a case, to declare that. Then there is the unknown number of asymptomatic cases that may be floating around - how infectious they are I don't now, but it seems that maid route of transmission is those with symptoms (or possible those in close contact with asymp. cases). 

17 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

If I was a cynic (and a pessimist) I'd say that as the headline noted 9 new cases, they probably didn't do more than 9 tests.

For everyone touting Sweden, take note that they only test people "with the most severe symptoms" despite knowing that you can carry the virus (and infect others) without showing any symptoms at all !

It has been a criticism of other countries as well (like the UK) that they only test those showing severe symptoms. One reason being is that it makes the total number of infections seem lower.
For example (again) - Sweden shows a very low number of infections but even the government's own Health Service estimates that by next month (May) 26% of Sweden's population may be infected !! (Some experts estimate if could be as high as half the population.)

And the current "buzzword of the day" is "flatten the curve". Many places are more worried about making it appear that they've "flattened the curve" (reduced the numbers of infections and/or deaths as shown by various graphs and charts) than they are with actually testing the population, which would screw up the graphs.

There's something called a positivity ratio. They revealed it's about 3-4% in here, meaning that percentage of the tests is positive. And that's while having a PUI criteria in place.

However, as soon as the criteria was changed, the numbers increased significantly, with up to 19,010 people being listed as PUI and 619 or 3.26 percent confirmed to be positive.

Today in CNN, another country with suspiciously low numbers, India: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/28/india/india-coronavirus-outbreak-explained-intl-hnk/index.html:

According to Mike Ryan, the executive director of the WHO's Health Emergencies Programs, a good benchmark is to have at least 10 negative cases for every positive one.
Around 4% of India's tests are positive, according to data from India's Health Ministry -- well below that benchmark. It's also a significantly lower rate than the US, where the rate is about 17%, according to data from Johns Hopkins University (JHU). It's also lower than the UK, where the rate is around 21%, based on government data.

It's suspicious. Are the people taking the swabs up to the task? Do the samples reach the labs in time? How long until they are processed? How is the quality of their lab work? Questions, questions.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

According to

worldometers-logo.gif
there has been 178,083 test done at an average 2,551 per 1 million population here in Thailand which to me seems very low especially compared to Australia with a much smaller population and those numbers are 536,000 tests at 21,020 per 1 million and have just received another 10 million  test kits .

50 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

And, were all from yesterday from Phuket in the official data?

To answer my own question:

https://data.go.th/en/dataset/covid-19-daily

image.png.b124475832a2466891b101fb55943218.png

No, the Phuket seven are not all (if any) in the official data:

I just love it when provincials leak stuff. Just how many of these there are, nobody knows. Not confirmed in two reference labs -> not in these daily propaganda numbers.

I guess the partygoer that dropped dead and up in smoke never showed up the the deaths, either?

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

To answer my own question:

https://data.go.th/en/dataset/covid-19-daily

image.png.b124475832a2466891b101fb55943218.png

No, the Phuket seven are not all (if any) in the official data:

I just love it when provincials leak stuff. Just how many of these there are, nobody knows. Not confirmed in two reference labs -> not in these daily propaganda numbers.

I guess the partygoer that dropped dead and up in smoke never showed up the the deaths, either?

Yet, we get called conspiracy theorists when we say we don't trust the reported numbers.

• Like 1

Now confirmed that the Corona Virus has been found airborne in Wuhan Hospitals, but it is unknown at this point in time if it is still infectious

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/airborne-coronavirus-detected-in-wuhan-hospitals/ar-BB13kV91?ocid=msedgdhp

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

As owners of local urgent care clinics, it appears these two individuals are releasing biased, non-peer reviewed data to advance their personal financial interests without regard for the public’s health. 

What a BS, what do they gain from publishing the data and facts they see?
Nothing. Why then accusing them of it. 
Just another attempt to silence critical voices. When you're running out of facts, then accuse them of "personal financial interests".

I think the numbers they report are quite clear. But what these numbers say might not fit in some political agendas. Apparently that is why some attack and try to silence them.

Look at the figures, 3.1 million infected world wide from a population of 7.8 billion people. Not bad odds.

Thailand 228 under treatment from a population of 65 million people, F...in great odds so why does the whole country still have to be under lockdown??? Sure keep the borders closed but let the people of Thailand get back to living their lives.

41 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

What a BS, what do they gain from publishing the data and facts they see?
Nothing. Why then accusing them of it. 
Just another attempt to silence critical voices. When you're running out of facts, then accuse them of "personal financial interests".

I think the numbers they report are quite clear. But what these numbers say might not fit in some political agendas. Apparently that is why some attack and try to silence them.

Maybe you should ask The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM) what their political agenda is. They said it not me, I'm just providing the information.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand on Wednesday reported 9 new coronavirus cases and no new deaths, bringing the total number of cases 2,947 cases and 54 deaths since January.

Time to extend lockdowns to August seeing that they are so effective!

Phuket managed to leak how many tests they did in a day:

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-report-zero-new-confirmed-covid-cases-75892.php

40 people still waiting for test results, down 10 from the 50 reported yesterday

That'd be 10 tests in a day. And they reported (locally) 7 positive yesterday, so that'd be a 70% positivity rate for the (local, unconfirmed) tests. 

• Like 1