SURVEY: When will tourism return to normal?

Scott

SURVEY: When will tourism return to normal?  

492 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

According to Booking.com it will be about November

LOL - intelligent, factual info from a travel web site?  Do not believe they have a team of infectious disease experts, virologists, and vaccine laboratories on their payroll.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hobz said:

Is it xenophobic to be against a ruling party? I have nothing against the Chinese people. Just it's leaders.

It's not a conspiracy theory that they withheld information in multiple ways. It's facts.

It's not a conspiracy theory that we are in a economic recession heading into a depression. You think people will be able to afford to travel like before you have to be pretty ignorant about economics.

Also covid is not gonna get out of media for a long time.

You made the accusation that they did their best to spread it to the rest of the world, if you don’t have factual evidence to this then your just helping to promote media fear mongering.

The world was heading for a recession before the virus all that has happened is that it has been fast tracked, many had already for seen this and taken precautions so traveling again when restrictions are lifted will be back on the agenda, for those that are economically challenged it may take a bit longer, but this has definitely been a wake up call and changes to many things will result in a different way for the world to move forward into the future.

8 minutes ago, Mbaki said:

You made the accusation that they did their best to spread it to the rest of the world, if you don’t have factual evidence to this then your just helping to promote media fear mongering.

The world was heading for a recession before the virus all that has happened is that it has been fast tracked, many had already for seen this and taken precautions so traveling again when restrictions are lifted will be back on the agenda, for those that are economically challenged it may take a bit longer, but this has definitely been a wake up call and changes to many things will result in a different way for the world to move forward into the future.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/us/politics/coronavirus-china-disinformation.html

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/craigsilverman/chinese-trolls-coronavirus-disinformation-taiwan

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2020/04/19/aspi-covid-19-social-media-disinformation/

I agree that the world was heading into a recession before. Corona was just the pin That pricked the bubble. 

• Like 2

I think that tourism will return to normal as soon as pandemic over. Many people have not been traveling due to pandemic. People with good salaries like to travel and enjoy life. Other social wealthier people never travel much and will never will do due to economic issues.

I have many friend who lives in Europe . They just waiting for border to be open. Then they go to Thailand

1 hour ago, johncat1 said:

TAT and Thai greed will try to bring tourists back before it is really safe to do so and they will concentrate on the Chinese first.

Im 62 yo and not afraid of this virus, are you in the same age category as me? And if you are fearful Im just curious why?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Im 62 yo and not afraid of this virus, are you in the same age category as me? And if you are fearful Im just curious why?

At 72 I wouldn't say I'm fearful, more like I'm bloody annoyed.

It has screwed up a lot of things for me and she this year.

A long UK holiday down the drain, luckily all booked direct ( no agents ) so got a lot, not all, of the money back.

One thing we've both agreed on is to look carefully at labels for country of origin and reject or buy on that basis.

I have no desire to die on a hospital bed, alone, with tubes in every orifice.

To try to make the post light hearted I'll just say I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad and not screaming in terror like his passengers.

• Haha 1

Can't see international tourism returning to normal until there's a Vaccine and there's no guarantee that there will even be a vaccine hey lets hope.
Even today the Flue vaccine is still only 50% effective.
Domestic tourism is the way to go for the but places dependent International tourists will need to rethink.

7 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

but not to worry, we can safely ignore the evil chinese disinformation and only develop a single vaccine for the west coast strain.  uv bulbs and bleach will fix them new yorkers right up.

No, we don't have to ignore it, we have to carefully review it internationally, to get a consensus on the matter.

Follow this logic.

1. CPC claimed the Americans planted the virus in Wuhan.

2. CPC withheld information about the true number of infections early in time.

3. CPC started to regulate these studies, so any study that is not favourable to China in some way, does not get published. As simple as. 

4. This study encourages the party rhetoric, shifting responsability on the "European strain". They are working extensively to clean their image.

In China, they put people still breathing in plastic bags to rush them to the crematorium.

The crematoriums estimated not 4,000 deaths, but at least 10 times more, at that time, that the government "did not bother" to report.

Edited by lkv
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, lkv said:

No, we don't have to ignore it, we have to carefully review it internationally, to get a consensus on the matter.

Follow this logic.

3. CPC started to regulate these studies, so any study that is not favourable to China in some way, does not get published. As simple as. 

4. This study encourages the party rhetoric, shifting responsability on the "European strain". They are working extensively to clean their image.

In China, they put people still breathing in plastic bags to rush them to the crematorium.

The crematoriums estimated not 4,000 deaths, but at least 10 times more, at that time, that the government "did not bother" to report.

I see your point, but the theory of separate strains does click into the reality in the ground in Thailand pretty neatly. Would be easy to verify with random antibody testing.

The really lovely little conspiracy theory is, China let the lesser strain loose on itself and it's vassals and then put out the real deal into the enemy population, to cover the great masterplan up. 

13 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The really lovely little conspiracy theory is, China let the lesser strain loose on itself and it's vassals and then put out the real deal into the enemy population, to cover the great masterplan up. 

I would say they had tens of thousands of deaths that they just covered up, and it was as deadly in China as it was in other parts of the world.

You will have mutations in every virus, but the mutations are at this stage believed to be not as significant to prevent a vaccine from being developed.

Anyway, with the flu vaccine, they adjust it every year, so every time you get vaccinated, you basically get last year's version of vaccine.

• Like 1

Much of it will depend on the governments and media continued reaction

If they continue to insist that a death rate of under 2% officially and certainly much below that in reality is worthy of harassing people, tourists will stay away.

If however the media finds something new to focus on and policy is crafted which accurately reflects the risk then the damage may not be as pronounced or draw out.

I have little faith at this point in the hystaria dying down so I expect this to last year's.  After all, many (even on this forum) accuse me of wanting people to die because I don't think people should be locked in their homes for any reason let alone a virus with such a low death rate

1 hour ago, lkv said:

I would say they had tens of thousands of deaths that they just covered up, and it was as deadly in China as it was in other parts of the world.

You will have mutations in every virus, but the mutations are at this stage believed to be not as significant to prevent a vaccine from being developed.

Anyway, with the flu vaccine, they adjust it every year, so every time you get vaccinated, you basically get last year's version of vaccine.

Re the vaccine.

Some on here say it makes you immune to flu. ???? On the lines of had the 'vaccine' 3 years ago and haven't been ill since. They just haven't met the latest strain yet.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Tourism is not returning to Thailand anytime soon. If you think about it, the group that comprised perhaps 60% of all arrivals (lower to middle income Chinese and Indians) are the ones who have been hardest hit by this idiotic worldwide economic shutdown. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work. Perhpaps many countries will still be required to have Covid letters, as the virus is still raging in many countries. And some countries will not issue that letter (impossible to get in the US). Plus, will the mandatory health insurance still be required? Will it be even stricter than before? And just what are people returning to, or coming to? How about nightlife?

Even prior to Covid, tourism here was declining. There are countless things the government could be doing, if they wanted to attract the high quality tourists. The very first thing would be to repeal the anti fareng wine bill, that was passed by a few very corrupt senators way back when, to protect an anemic local wine industry. They are losing billions of dollars a year in revenue, that would be had from a 100% wine duty, instead of 360%. The five star hotels would have major wine events, and the entire industry would flourish here. 

They will continue to get more Indian tourists. But, as with the vast majority of Chinese, it will be lower and middle income tourists. Thailand just cannot attract higher end tourists anymore. The focus on quantity over quality will continue to erode the nation on countless levels. More is rarely better. It just lowers the quality of life for nearly everyone, creates more congestion, more smog, more traffic, longer lines at immigration, and makes life difficult, especially in the big cities. There are countless things the government could be doing, if they wanted to attract the high quality tourists, and go for quality over quantity. Rich tourists like to spend money when they travel. And they cannot do that here, as they do not like getting taken for a ride. Most wealthy people are smart with their money. Thailand could be making a fortune on a 25% luxury tax. Instead of the 100% of more, which discourages most people from buying a new watch, or  a new handbag, while on vacation. How many people do you see in the luxury stores here? They are almost always completely empty. Inane. Beyond inane. 

Quantity over quality is never a good thing, unless you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It just lowers the quality of the experience for all. There are so many unanswered questions, it boggles the mind. One thing is for certain. Thailand will be feeling the effects of this for a very, very long time. So will the rest of the world. 

Best thing I ever read on this forum, cheers mate

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, piewarmer said:

Best thing I ever read on this forum, cheers mate

Agree with both of you.

My brother and his wife who were not short of a penny came to Thailand twice. First time maybe mid 90's for beach holiday in Cha-Am. They enjoyed it. They returned about 6 or 7 years later and vowed never to come back.

Stayed at the same place and said everything was the same ie that is everything. It had just got older and worn but was twice the price. SIL reckoned it was the same menu and the only difference was the price increase stickers stuck to it.

Swimming pool just the same with the additional attraction of cracked tiles etc.

I could go on.

murray heads '''1 night in bangkok '',never mentioned a pandemic in the lyrics so who can be sure

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me

Siam's gonna be the witness
To the ultimate test of cerebral fitness
This grips me more than would a
Muddy old river or reclining Buddha
And thank God I'm only watching the game controlling it

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Any posters out there who don't actually care if tourism never comes back.

Just askin'.

I don't really care. In fact, I like it quieter now. Before in CM, it was just a rash of Chinese and black smoke bellowing buses. That has all gone away. Roads are better and once the coffee shops open up again, my life is back to normal.

It's going to take a long time to come back. What happens if we get a second or third wave of Covid over the next several months and say if it comes back hard every winter or wet season? Until we got some idea of what Covid is going to do (cure or vaccine), we are not going to see mass tourism anywhere for some time. Other Countries opening up are going to have Visa requirements as well. You need to be able to go back home easily. 

It's going to be a tough road. I cannot see a future for some time but I would say it will be the Chinese first coming back.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

You might have made a distinction between Thai and foreign tourists. My view is that generally people will stay in their home countries for holidays for many years. Thai tourism in Thailand will slowly get better. It will be a lot faster to return to normal than foreign tourism that will take years.

The dire economic results of the virus and people's unwillingness to fly are key.

Rooster

Due to the way I was treated by numberous Thai, ungreatfull that I had chosen their country to retire in, I left.  When this situation improves and a vaccine is available, I'll try once again to retire in SEA and spend my $30K a year where I at least feel a bit appreciated.  Thailand is no longer on my list.  They've twisted all the rules to stay there now so it's obvious they don't want me there.  Put $25K in a bank in a country run by the military?  NEVER!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, lkv said:

Follow this logic.

1.  that was......sarcasm.  some chinese official's response to us claims of a biological weapon.  "oh yeah, well two can play that game!"

2.  possible.  probably, even.  guess they thought they had it 100% under control and it would be at zero in a week or so.

3.  china has no control over what gets published in international science journals.  as simple as.

4.  this is supposed to be science, not politics.  there appears to be a "european strain" that mutated from the original wu-flu that was imported to the us east coast.  it makes a difference in treatments and morbidity.  doesn't make a difference to name the original source, other than in the minds of conspiracy guys.

(5)  now get your stories straight!  we saw genuine photoshopped fake videos on the innertubes showing corpses piling up in wuhan hospitals, just a'lyin' there in the corridors for hours, if not days, and 87 crematoriums overloaded burning 21 million cellphones..  no way to ship live ones into the ovens in time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the bigger stumbling blocks that will hurt western tourism is that many people are fearful of being on a very full plane for 12+ hours.  That's not even taking into account the cost of the ticket(s), crowds at immigration, transiting, etc.  Many people will opt to stay at home and take holidays in their own country to lesson the cost and avoid air travel.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 9:55 AM, overherebc said:

At 72 I wouldn't say I'm fearful, more like I'm bloody annoyed.

It has screwed up a lot of things for me and she this year.

A long UK holiday down the drain, luckily all booked direct ( no agents ) so got a lot, not all, of the money back.

One thing we've both agreed on is to look carefully at labels for country of origin and reject or buy on that basis.

I have no desire to die on a hospital bed, alone, with tubes in every orifice.

To try to make the post light hearted I'll just say I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad and not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sir, I believe that such as myself that if your healthy you will be fine!  I want to get back to Thailand to be with my wife!

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

One of the bigger stumbling blocks that will hurt western tourism is that many people are fearful of being on a very full plane for 12+ hours.  That's not even taking into account the cost of the ticket(s), crowds at immigration, transiting, etc.  Many people will opt to stay at home and take holidays in their own country to lesson the cost and avoid air travel.

Im 62 yo reasonably healthy male who has no problem flying on long flights Id do it today if I could. What on earth has gotten into people, this fear its coming from the media and govt? Dont be sheeple and take the media or govt's word do your own investigating this virus.