Fastest way to send money to my gfs bank during covid19

You should be able to get your bank in the UK to do a telegraphic transfer. You need the SWIFT code of the receiving bank, its name, the account number and account name. Your home bank will charge you a fee for the service, the receiving bank will exchange your currency to Thai baht at somewhere under the cross rate.

WARNING: Do not attempt to send Thai baht from the UK. You will then be subject to Dynamic Currency Conversion ( DCC ) which is the polite term bankers use for daylight robbery.

36 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't see what Transferwise has to do with any bank card. I just transfer from one account to the other, no cards involved.

One of the  options to pay funds to Transferwise is by debit card. Though slightly more expensive, it  seems to speed up the transfer..

I usually do an online  transfer by internet banking, but recently my bank suspended my internet banking facility due to security concerns. Debit card is my only option until I can get back to UK to get suspension lifted.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phetphet said:

One of the  options to pay funds to Transferwise is by debit card. Though slightly more expensive, it  seems to speed up the transfer..

I usually do an online  transfer by internet banking, but recently my bank suspended my internet banking facility due to security concerns. Debit card is my only option until I can get back to UK to get suspension lifted.

You should be able to talk your banks Fraud Squad and maybe they can sort it for you ...my bank has locked my account on a couple of occasions and their  Fraud squad sorted it for me. I now never transfer more than £9999 as the 10K locks my account for some reason ...

• Like 1

Transferwise offers the best rate/lowest fees.  You need to first set it up using your own sending UK bank details, but you can pay out to any named account.  A regular transfer usually arrives the next receiving bank working day.

Once you're set up and made one regular transfer, you should open a "borderless" account for GBP & THB.  Then anyone can pay GBP in to YOUR GBP account (free from most? UK banks), you can convert it at will (@0.58% less than MMR at the time), and when you send it to your/anyone's Thai account (fee 59 bt) it usually arrives in seconds.

YMMV..

Edited by steve73
cost's added..
  • Like 1

As others have said, use Transferwise.

If your UK bank is on Faster Payments (most are these days) the funds will go to TW within 2 hours.

I suggest:

Get the lady's FULL account details -proper name, account number, name of bank (Kasikorn?) ADDRESS of branch.

Send £10 TEST transfer (TW fees are pro-rata the amount you send, so the fee for sending £10 will only be about £1.40)

Get lady to check its arrived, so you're sure you got the details right.

Send whatever amount you wish to send.

Done!

Edited by VBF

1 hour ago, yacobm8 said:

This would be awesome but I want to send about £400 and don't want to risk sending to a stranger I met online

Did it occur to you that you would have this person's real name and account details? 

1,691 posts is not a newbie. Someone here will know him.

Don't be put off by the bitterly cynical types who fill the forum with their negativity on a daily basis. There are a lot of good people out there. Don't let the cynics block you from meeting them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Did it occur to you that you would have this person's real name and account details? 

UK account could be anyone - a friend of a friend of a friend.

5 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

1,691 posts is not a newbie. Someone here will know him.

I have a bit more posts and very few know me.

6 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

There are a lot of good people out there

Indeed there are - but really took that offer as a joke from one of them.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

I don't see what Transferwise has to do with any bank card. I just transfer from one account to the other, no cards involved.

Personally thought using my debit card would be quicker mate sadly bank stopped transaction in turn cancelled card as it was first transaction ( fraud notified - reactivated my card after ringing u.k bank. Resent with HIFX. Will know better next time ????

3 hours ago, VBF said:

Get the lady's FULL account details -proper name, account number, name of bank (Kasikorn?) ADDRESS of branch.

Send £10 TEST transfer (TW fees are pro-rata the amount you send, so the fee for sending £10 will only be about £1.40)

In which case sending £1000 would cost £140

Didn’t read all the posts so maybe was already mentioned 

the quickest way with the best rates I’ve found to be starling bank direct from uk account to Thai account in 3 working days . Depending on amount sent allow that Thai bank will charge between 200 and 500 baht but that’s on any transfer from international to Thai account 

the whole transfer takes under a minute on their app 

10 minutes ago, Bnm68 said:

Didn’t read all the posts so maybe was already mentioned 

the quickest way with the best rates I’ve found to be starling bank direct from uk account to Thai account in 3 working days . Depending on amount sent allow that Thai bank will charge between 200 and 500 baht but that’s on any transfer from international to Thai account 

the whole transfer takes under a minute on their app 

Transferwise fee is often cheaper - exchange rate is always better - there is no Thai bank charge and it is normally much faster from UK accounts.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

You should be able to talk your banks Fraud Squad and maybe they can sort it for you ...my bank has locked my account on a couple of occasions and their  Fraud squad sorted it for me. I now never transfer more than £9999 as the 10K locks my account for some reason ...

Thanks, but already tried them twice. They won't do it. Said I've got to go into my local branch (UK) with passport and proof of address, plus the reference number they gave me.

A real bummer as they did it two days after I got back here early March.

God knows when I will manage to get back there again with this COVID.

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

In which case sending £1000 would cost £140

In January I sent £4000 from my UK bank to SCB - fee was £86.74.

I guess "pro-rata" wasn't strictly true but my point was it's scalable unlike if one sends a foreign transfer from a UK bank, they will probably charge around £25 whatever amount you send - of course the exchange rate isn't usually as good as with TW so even if you pay a higher fee, you need to weigh the rate against the fee.

And, TW is transparent - you know exactly how many Baht you will get for your £ BEFORE you send it, and TW are paying Baht into a Thai account so no fees at the Thai end.

9 hours ago, yacobm8 said:

Hi I used to used Azimo.com to send money and it would take about 4 days to arrive in my girlfriends bank account.

What services have you guys used to send money to your partners bank account during this virus?

The answer is right under your nose.

Azimo now do instant transfers to the major Thai banks.  I tried it last week and by the time I logged into my Bangkok Bank account the funds were there and that was in the evening in the UK and middle of night in LOS.  So I can confirm it was an instant transfer.

https://azimo.com/en/send-money-to-thailand

17 hours ago, stouricks said:

Who says he's in his right mind sending dosh to his 'Thai GF'   555   PML

Exactly what I've been thinking. As the saying goes - no good deed goes unpunished. My girlfriend just wrote me yesterday that she's having financial difficulties - of course my first instinct was to offer help, but then I would perpetuate the habits that drove her into this situation - she's a shopaholic and spends all of her disposable income on stupid <deleted> she'd never use, her perfume collection is huge. She normally makes 20-30k, now reduced to around 5k - yes, she will have to give up her shopping habit and be frugal for a while - maybe even sell some of the <deleted> she bought to make ends meet - but those are positive changes...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I now never transfer more than £9999 as the 10K locks my account for some reason ...

Probably because of the laws regarding money laundering. Different countries that have signed on to international treaties have different limits as the the amount of cash that can be transferred in a single transaction.
Amounts exceeding the limit can still be sent, but usually have to be justified in some manner before the transaction will go through. For example, last summer I wanted to wire some money from my Canadian bank to my Thai account. The amount was over the "Canadian" limit so I had to provide some justification for it (I told them it was for property purchase as I was buying a condo and that seemed to satisfy whoever was vetting the transaction and it went through without delay).

Years ago I was in the opposite position and making wire transfers back to my Canadian account. I made sure to keep each transaction under $10,000 (Cdn) just to be safe (wasn't sure what would happen if I tried to send more than that and the transaction was held up or cancelled and I was back working in Afghanistan). Rather than give myself an ulcer, I just transferred a slightly smaller amount and never had a problem.

Edited by Kerryd

For the OP. (Cut/pasted from my previous post.)

I seem to recall that other TV members in the past have mentioned having an account in the UK branch of the Bangkok Bank. 
https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/International-Banking/Europe-and-North-America/United-Kingdom-Business-Banking

Maybe you could open an account there, transfer money from your UK account to that account and then do a "3rd Party" transfer via an ATM (if they have one at the bank) or by internet banking. 
I've sent money to teerak's Siam Bank account from my Bangkok Bank account both ways. She's actually in Germany but can access her SCB account on the internet.

It's easy to set up a 3rd party "transferee" using Bangkok Bank's internet banking and then you can transfer money anytime you want and it's an "instant" transfer as well. I've been talking to teerak on Messenger, went to my internet banking, sent her some money and she got the confirmation while we were still talking. 
No fee either !

If you are going to be sending her money on a regular (or even irregular) basis, that would probably be the quickest, and cheapest, option.

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Transferwise fee is often cheaper - exchange rate is always better - there is no Thai bank charge and it is normally much faster from UK accounts.

AND if youi need it to show as a foreign transfer, T'wide does!

20 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Just sent money from Canada to Bangkok.  Usually no more than 30 minutes.  For CAD999.95 there is a fee of CAD22.50 and if required WU will notify recipient by e-mail when the money is available and when it can be picked up.  The fee is a little expensive but it is always on time.  Unfortunately, that was sent from my bank a/c not through a WU agency and such transfers are limited to CAD1000 for one day then must wait to be able to send more funds.  Not sure of those details or if same conditions apply for other countries.

'nuf sed.

I send money from my CIBC Bank account in Canada with "Global Transfer" free of charge (maximun $15,000.00 a day) to my Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, then from my account to my wife's account with Internet,  Takes about one day.