Thailand’s business confidence index plummets

Thailand’s business confidence index plummets

By The Nation

800_6cb4b2ca4f080e1.jpeg

In April, the Business Sentiment Index (BSI) in Thailand plunged to 32.6, the lowest ever in history.

Signs showed that confidence had deteriorated in both manufacturing and non-manufacturing sectors from all aspects, as indicated by the below-50 threshold, the Bank of Thailand (BOT) report released on Tuesday (May 5) showed. 

Meanwhile, the expected BSI for the first quarter of the year dropped to 37.8 due to concerns over a severe and prolonged Covid-19 crisis. In April, the BSI sharply fell from 42.6 in March to 32.6, the lowest level ever recorded since 1999, when the index was born. 

All components came in below the 50-threshold, showing that sentiment has declined in all sectors due to the pandemic. 

In the manufacturing sector, confidence in production, orders and performance was considerably low, especially in machinery, equipment and automotive sectors. Declining confidence in the non-manufacturing sector was caused by the vulnerability of retail businesses, the hospitality and restaurant industry, and the logistics sector due to economic activities coming to a halt in order to curb the contagion. 

The expected BSI over three months plummeted to 37.8, close to the 37.1 recorded during the 2008 global financial crisis, owing to concerns over a protracted and serious Covid-19 situation. 

With a massive drop in confidence in the manufacturing industry, investment and employment sub-indices also plunged, which may imply future job losses. 

In the non-manufacturing sector, the sub-indices of retail and logistics sectors considerably dropped due to expected economic slowdown, as well as panic buying and hoarding before the lockdown. Also, respondents in the construction sector reported a pessimistic outlook in investment and construction volume, thereby weakening their confidence in employment. 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30387339

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-05

Yes, much like in 1998,  Thailand looks like it will be the shoe that finally dropped.

for a number of reasons Thailand looks to be the most vulnerable economy in SE Asia (again) in this crisis.

As i work and do some business here i hope i am wrong but ,somehow, sadly, i dont think i will be.

I think reality is beginning to dawn on on local business, so hence, the confidence figures quoted above. 

11 hours ago, wordchild said:

Yes, much like in 1998,  Thailand looks like it will be the shoe that finally dropped.

for a number of reasons Thailand looks to be the most vulnerable economy in SE Asia (again) in this crisis.

As i work and do some business here i hope i am wrong but ,somehow, sadly, i dont think i will be.

I think reality is beginning to dawn on on local business, so hence, the confidence figures quoted above. 

Thai fundamentals are still good, low debt ratio to GDP and plenty of foreign reserves. Trump is banging the war drum again about new tariffs for China so Thailand will profit from that as will Vietnam etc. but the industrial infrastructure in place in Thailand tops them all so I fear that not only will the Baht not fall it will strengthen because the West is in dire straights. France and Germany are heavily reliant on exports and the car industry (whose got the money to buy?) and the UK economy is four fifths service industry, 70% of which are near collapse, America is just a general basket case, heads in the sand and no plan. Against this backdrop Thailand looks good even though the tourist industry is nigh on finished they can take up a lot of slack by taking China's place as the workbank of the West if they play their cards right.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Thai fundamentals are still good, low debt ratio to GDP and plenty of foreign reserves. Trump is banging the war drum again about new tariffs for China so Thailand will profit from that as will Vietnam etc. but the industrial infrastructure in place in Thailand tops them all so I fear that not only will the Baht not fall it will strengthen because the West is in dire straights. France and Germany are heavily reliant on exports and the car industry (whose got the money to buy?) and the UK economy is four fifths service industry, 70% of which are near collapse, America is just a general basket case, heads in the sand and no plan. Against this backdrop Thailand looks good even though the tourist industry is nigh on finished they can take up a lot of slack by taking China's place as the workbank of the West if they play their cards right.

"If they play their cards right"?

The " fundamentals" may be good for the "Elites", but are not good enough, to balance the economical inability of the current government. The only solutions they had and will have, is simply obey their master in the north, "Waiting" for help and "sell" it as a great "Breakthrough".

Beside this, long empty speeches, new commissions for peanuts, rolling the dice nearly every day, hoping for a lucky number and changing rules by that.

They can't even organize the 5000 Baht handout, for example.

Though here is the question, if they're not capable, or just don't want to?

4 hours ago, Walker88 said:

I would expect Chinese investors to step in and essentially turn Thailand into a vassal State of the Motherland.

Thus, making the One Belt One Road initiative a lot cheaper, and with less political opposition.  

On 5/6/2020 at 12:33 PM, Maitdjai said:

The " fundamentals" may be good for the "Elites", but are not good enough, to balance the economical inability of the current government. The only solutions they had and will have, is simply obey their master in the north, "Waiting" for help and "sell" it as a great "Breakthrough".

This describes what the Chinese have done in Cambodia.