Thai schools set for one long session without a break - then begin again next May after two week holiday

webfact

Thai schools set for one long session without a break - then begin again next May after two week holiday

4pm.jpg

Sanook reported the latest plans for Thai schools amid the coronavirus pandemic.

They said that education authorities in Thailand would order schools to effectively have one long term from July 2020 to April 2021.    

Then after a two week break start the 2021/22 school year in mid May next year as normal.

Primary and secondary schools in the kingdom would normally be starting next week but this has been put back to July 1st.

No October holidays will be taken and schools will be open for the first term until the end of November then immediately start term two on December 1st and go through to April 30th 2021.

Following this there will be just a two week break before term starts as normal on 15th May 2021.

Sanook said the authorities were allowing schools who want to have a break between terms to have lessons on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays to make up the lost time in advance.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-07

23 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Absolutely incredible. That will be complete torture.

The longest term I have ever done in an international school here is 9 weeks (the average is 6 - 7 weeks). Even 9 weeks is too long for the majority of students that need a break and a rest from learning. This is pretty much 9 months back to back. Wow. 

The question is now whether schools willbe given flexibility with this schedule - schools willing and able to teach online starting soon, should be allowed to do it. Kids have already had a lot of time off as summer school was cancelled. I am planning to teach online, but I won't be doing any of that with that proposed schedule by the MoE. All schools and their students needn't suffer because some schools are unable or unwilling to teach remotely. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

none of the original article in Thai adds up

they headline it saying it will be an 8-month teaching period, then go on to say term one will be 4-months (July 1 - November 30), which is actually 5-months, then give an end date of April 30th, which makes it 9-months in total, not 8-months

It's basically 15 months of school with the only one solid break being two weeks at the beginning of May. After the break in May the kids are sent back again 'til October with no real break. 

But fear not, if teachers do want a break, they can work on a Saturday and then have the Monday off. Not a break at all because you're still making up for the day you took off, but it's best not to think too much about things like that. If you call it a break, then so it must be. 

52 minutes ago, petermik said:

Extra payments to the teachers perhaps...:thumbsup:

Of course. These corrupt directors need to pay their new Benz.

Also, to become a director of a school costs up to 50 million baht(more in Bangkok), which needs paying back.  

49 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Absolutely incredible. That will be complete torture.

The longest term I have ever done in an international school here is 9 weeks (the average is 6 - 7 weeks). Even 9 weeks is too long for the majority of students that need a break and a rest from learning. This is pretty much 9 months back to back. Wow. 

I'm pretty sure schools can incorporate less active learning periods to make up for this. Besides this, private schools are more or less free to do whatever they want. 

• Like 1

Just now, Boomer6969 said:

I have already decided I'll take my kids off school a couple of weeks next October, and probably again during Q1/2020. The idiots who made such decision probably haven't even educated their own kids.

Like someone else said, it's ALL about the money. The directors have lost a lot of pre-term under the table payments.  The director at one of my kids school was recently in court for corruption. 12 members of the Ministry of Education were jailed for accepting his bribe. 

You are doing the right thing, kids need a break, as do teachers. 

This thread is too jangled as some have kids at gov/private/intl schools.

But as for the gov schools, surely if they are 6 weeks late now they should just add  6 weeks later,  but it seems a lot more than that? I'm not wise to how the gov schools work, and of course what is said here can and no doubt will change later anyways.

47 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

It's basically 15 months of school with the only one solid break being two weeks at the beginning of May. After the break in May the kids are sent back again 'til October with no real break. 

But fear not, if teachers do want a break, they can work on a Saturday and then have the Monday off. Not a break at all because you're still making up for the day you took off, but it's best not to think too much about things like that. If you call it a break, then so it must be. 

the article sounds like a mistake to me

last I heard they moved the finish date to the end of March, which would have made up for the 6-weeks lost and would still give students April off

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Not that old chestnut. So assume his kids can now forget about becoming scientists and CEO'S now they are taking a few weeks out of school. They will never recover.

Actually, my eldest is hoping to go to a university in the UK next year and we want/need to check out a few. Regardless of the cost(around 13k GBP a year as a foreign student even though they are British), I want them to graduate from a top British institution, even though it will mean I'll have to work for another 20 years. 

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Actually, my eldest is hoping to go to a university in the UK next year and we want/need to check out a few. Regardless of the cost(around 13k GBP a year as a foreign student even though they are British), I want them to graduate from a top British institution, even though it will mean I'll have to work for another 20 years. 

Good man. I believe even if you are British you still need to be residing in the UK for around 4 years I believe to qualify for 'home fees'

Would your eldest be alone in the UK? Been before? Sounds like a big move, albeit a very positive one.

And, would qualifications in Thailand get her into a UK uni, I've always heard that no Thai exam is recognised outside of Thailand??

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Good man. I believe even if you are British you still need to be residing in the UK for around 4 years I believe to qualify for 'home fees'

Would your eldest be alone in the UK? Been before? Sounds like a big move, albeit a very positive one.

And, would qualifications in Thailand get her into a UK uni, I've always heard that no Thai exam is recognised outside of Thailand??

3 years, I was told. My eldest has been on long holidays to the UK and Oz. She is desperate to leave the Thai education system because of the corrupt, military-style teachers. She wants to live alone. 

Passing Mattayom 6, with a high IELTS score is enough. An alternative is doing  GED, which is accepted internationally. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

3 years, I was told. My eldest has been on long holidays to the UK and Oz. She is desperate to leave the Thai education system because of the corrupt, military-style teachers. She wants to live alone. 

Passing Mattayom 6, with a high IELTS score is enough. An alternative is doing  GED, which is accepted internationally. 

Ok worth knowing that. My eldest is only 11 still. Without meaning to pry, it seems like a big move for her to go live there alone at only 18 or so, and assume you will be footing the bill for all her overheads, etc. Good luck to her.

Other countries in Asia has already opened or will be opening their schools very soon. Why is Thailand waiting so long with so few covid cases? It's not fair to the students, teachers and parents.  

It's a good plan if you want a Generation of total Idiots !

It's also inhumane and stupid !

It seems like maximum traumatising of children is part of the SPAMdemic plan ... pure evil !!!

[Watch out for the Baphomet sign from Prayut ... he's using it quite a lot !!!] 

• Like 1

Then add in the extra hours they will spend with us tutors learning from us what they were supposed to learn in class.  LOL

Schools can ease the pain if they cancel all the <deleted> days as mentioned above.

As to learning I am not sure it will make a difference.  the kids that want to learn will learn the ikds that are just getting by to get by will still be the same.

There is agroup though inthe middle that will hurt.

Also do not forget that M1 students in a lot of schools do a 6 day week.

So school holidays will be

Wed, Aug 12, 2563 BE

Fri, Oct 23, 2563 BE 

Mon, Oct 26, 2563

Thurs, Dec 10, 2563 BE

27 Dec -04 Jan

Fri, Feb 26, 2564 BE

Tue, Apr 6, 2564 BE

Apr 10, 2564 BE - 06 May, 2564

The only thing we do not know is what are they going to do with Songkran holidays.  It would not surprise me to see nothing done or the government give a national holiday around 23 October