Rescue foundation apologizes after patient falls out of ambulance - offers explanation of sorts

webfact

Rescue foundation apologizes after patient falls out of ambulance - offers explanation of sorts

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Officials of the Poh Teck Tung foundation have apologized after an accident victim fell out of an ambulance onto the road. 

The shocking footage was widely commented up on Thai social media.

The driver of the ambulance had passed level B training from Bang Pakok hospital and it was his own ambulance. 

He will be suspended for between three and six months and given a warning.

There should have been three staff but there was a mix up meaning that Songphon, who was inexperienced, was alone.

He thought the stretcher had clicked into place but he was mistaken. When the ambulance went along the gurney collided with the rear door and caused it to burst open. 

The patient had come off his motorcycle and was being taken to hospital. 

The family of the victim are not pressing charges.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-07

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

He will be suspended for between three and six months and given a warning.

Should had been fired, or

required to take all training from start again.

The outcome could been fatal. Pure luck that no large vehicle tailgated the ambulance, as is a common sport here.

Shocking video!

• Like 2

Could've been worse .. the Top Gear episode when they made their own ambulances had May's dragging the patient and trolley at speed through the streets when they got tangled on the rear of the Amb'  .. and Hammond's used to fire the passenger through the back doors into A & E .. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Jacobsen said:

Benny Hill would be proud of the ambulance driver.

No not Benny Hill, more like a Norman Wisdom escapade, Frank Spencer or the Carry On Team - Oooor Mrs...!!

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

The rescue guys volenteer time, and their money, to help the people.

Is difficult.

I would like volenteer, help them, but I am scared of dead people, blood etc. I donate to fix the ambulance before.

My freind do it. I see the photo. 

They are good people. Wake up in the night to help injured and collect dead bodys.

Thankyou to these guys.

Is funny video. Lucky not serious problem. 

They don’t race to the scene endangering others. 

They don’t get paid by which ever hospital they turn up at.

They are not called the ‘body snatchers’ for nothing. 

The foundations are all solely non profit.

Yinn, you are either incredibly Nieve or your Thainess has once again overwhelmed your balance. 

These ‘foundation’ ambulances are a nuisance, they are dangerous and reckless and more often than not, poorly trained. 

One of the measures of a civilised society is its Primary emergency services (Fire, Ambulance and Police Services). Thailand needs a national Ambulance Service, the absence of such as as damning as Yinn’s embarrassingly apologist post above. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yinn, you are either incredibly Nieve or your Thainess has once again overwhelmed your balance. 

These ‘foundation’ ambulances are a nuisance, they are dangerous and reckless and more often than not, poorly trained. 

One of the measures of a civilised society is its Primary emergency services (Fire, Ambulance and Police Services). Thailand needs a national Ambulance Service, the absence of such as as damning as Yinn’s embarrassingly apologist post above. 

I have many Thai friends who are doctors and while they appreciate the thought, they hate the application.  Meaning, often these ambulances will drive up and deposit some poor sod at the ER and drive off.   Again, glad they want to help but they need more training. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, webfact said:

There should have been three staff but there was a mix up meaning that Songphon, who was inexperienced, was alone.

Cutting staff levels/costs as a "freelancer" is not a mix-up!

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think you are naive (*check spelling”) you mean naive right? Irony.

And your farangness has once again overwhelmed your balance. 

I know a gang of this guys. They do it free. They do it to help. They pay for their ambulance. They train each other. Some people sponsor them. 

I see in the news some foreigners do it to help same. 

They save life. Everyday.

Do you you know any this guys/women? Or your knowledge come from thaivisa story/poster who imagine and repeat? naive farangness imagination. 

They helped my freind, family, the poor. For free. If I have problem they will help me.

if you have problem they will help you same. 

Ambulance in your country is free? Or not? 

@colinneil was rescue two week ago. Were paid for it? No. I hope he say thank you to them.

They rescue road accident, other accident, natural disaster, tsunami, flood, fire, use their money, use their time, help old people, help kids, good for community. They take all the dead people from accident, clean body for funeral. 

Sometimes have story about bad one. (Same life) But they rescue more than 1000 everyday. Less than .01% is bad. 99.99% is good. 

They do so much. What you do?

Complain, ungrateful.

Yinn say thankyou to them, the thai and foreigner do it. Good people. Thankyou very much.

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I know a gang of this guys. They do it free. They do it to help.

I was in a pretty bad big bike accident in rural thailand that was 200% not my fault. Bad enough to knock off both my shoes, break bones, and give me bad road rash that scarred me for life. To this day I have trouble using the fingers on my right hand. 

The rescue 'foundations' all swarmed me within about 20 minutes 4 or 5 trucks, all arguing with me and wanting 20,000 baht just to get me to the hospital. Police came, also wanted money. Naturally I was out riding and didn't have a fat wad cash on me so it was impossible to pay anyone to do anything. 

One of the foundation drivers tried to get me to get up and walk to the ATM at a gas station that was about 500m up the road so he could get paid - thats right, and 'ambulance' driver trying to get a bleeding crash patient to get up and walk to the atm. 

So please spare us all the absolute trash you are spewing. I ended up having to locate my cell phone in the grass to call my wife to come pick me up because these parasites wouldn't even let me use their phone. 

The last little bit of respect I had for Thailand completely evaporated that day. 

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Yinn said:

It is not free, but, Missy, if you call 911 in an emergency you will get help and will never be pushed away even if you are flat broke and unconscious. Ambulance, helicopter, ship, boat, skiff, whatever is necessary to get you help and get you to a hospital. 

Not. Same. Thailand. 

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

In Ontario, I cannot speak for other provinces, if a patient is being transferred from a hospital to a rehab centre the ambulance is free.  If the patient is taken from the scene of an accident the patient may have to pay depending on the circumstances.  If the "patient" is a senior citizen the ambulance fee is reduced by 10%.  Every person working in an ambulance company and either driving the vehicle, attending a patient or assisting are all highly qualified to perform their jobs.  Even the drivers are qualified because they also provide assistance to the patient.  None own their own ambulance and each ambulance meets the standards laid down by the province.  All must update their skills every year, and this goes for most countries.  In the UK, and some other countries we have the St. John's Ambulance Brigade for first aid and all are much better qualified for attending to emergencies than anybody I have seen in Thailand, and that includes those in ambulances from hospitals.  Most of the St. John's Brigade are volunteers and on call at all hours and must update their skills and knowledge on an annual basis.  There is nothing like it in Thailand.

'nuf sed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yinn said:

They train each other

Herein lies a major problem which it is obvious the above poster deliberately seemingly overlooked.  By training each other they pass on crappy techniques that would not be practiced elsewhere except other countries with the same low standards and other poor or impractical quality training or knowledge.  When I took my first aid badge when in the Sea Scouts in England in 1955, our knowledge and application was far superior to what was seen in the video.

These people should not go anywhere near a person either alive or dead let alone own a vehicle and use it to transport said persons let alone to treat them in any fashion.

'nuf sed.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 12:38 AM, Yinn said:

I think you are naive (*check spelling”) you mean naive right? Irony.

And your farangness has once again overwhelmed your balance. 

Ouch !!!... well caught on the typo.

In this case my 'farangness' was to use critical thought in recognition of the flaws in Thailands First Aid Response whereas your 'Thainess' was the blindly ignores the faults, weaknesses and flaws in a failure to recognize the corruption and outrageous lack of training in Thailand's First Aid response.

There are not even any set standards. Anyone Thai can set up an ambulance service, there is not even any legislation in places which states those working (or volunteering) in Thailand's Emergency First Aid response need to be trained in First Aid if they are not affiliated with a hospital.

I know a gang of this guys. They do it free. They do it to help. They pay for their ambulance. They train each other. Some people sponsor them. 

I see in the news some foreigners do it to help same. 

They save life. Everyday.

[They train each other] most are not trained in the first place. Some educated First Responders are trained and try to do their best and pass on their knowledge, but most are just people off the street (like you and I) with very little or no First Aid training.

More lives would be saved with better training. The poor training can cost lives. How many know not to throw an injured person in the back of the pickup. How many know how to treat spinal injuries?

Meaning well is great, I'm sure lives are saved, yet the reputations of the 'first responders' precede them, they're called the 'Body Snatchers' (translation) not by westerners, but by Thai's.

Do you you know any this guys/women? Or your knowledge come from thaivisa story/poster who imagine and repeat? naive farangness imagination. 

Yes. My Father in Law is on the Board of such a foundation.

They helped my freind, family, the poor. For free. If I have problem they will help me.

if you have problem they will help you same. 

There is a difference between 'helping' and rendering a 'trained first aid response'. How many of these people are medically trained?  Unfortunately, I've witnessed the help rendered at the scene of an accident when a motorcyclist was picked up by two guys and placed into the flat bed of a pick-up - with any serious neck or spinal injury the 'First Aiders' had either killed or paralysed the injured party (hopefully not), these guys didn't know what they were doing.

No, an Ambulance is not Free in the UK. Tax pays for all the Emergency services.

In the incident of a Car accident our insurance (or the insurance of the guilty party) pays for the ambulance.

We may have to pay for an ambulance if the call out was not necessary.

@colinneil was rescue two week ago. Were paid for it? No. I hope he say thank you to them.

They rescue road accident, other accident, natural disaster, tsunami, flood, fire, use their money, use their time, help old people, help kids, good for community. They take all the dead people from accident, clean body for funeral. 

And they all do this for free? none of these 'volunteers' are paid?

I just hope that if I'm ever involved in an accident that my injuries are assessed before I'm moved and placed in the back of a pickup of ambulance.

You have conveniently chosen the 'best' examples and omitted to recognize the flaws in the manner in which these foundations operate. Meaning well and attempting to do the right thing is not as good as 'doing the right thing'.

What we have in Thailand is a system that is better than nothing, unfortunately that highlights Thailand's lack of development in First Aid Care which could greatly be improved.

Sometimes have story about bad one. (Same life) But they rescue more than 1000 everyday. Less than .01% is bad. 99.99% is good. 

Interesting statistic, but its made up rubbish.

They do so much. What you do?

Complain, ungrateful.

Yinn say thankyou to them, the thai and foreigner do it. Good people. Thankyou very much.

Yinn, I don't believe you are unable to recognise the scope for improvement of the First Aid response in Thailand.

As it stands, Thailand's First Aid Response capabilities are incredibly poor when compared to the standards of Thailand's medical care. Hospitals are excellent, first aid response is atrocious, the primary reason for this is that if the First Aid response does not come direct from a nearby hospital it 'outsourced' to foundations and gangs in pickups with radio's on a 'first come first served' basis hence the stories of fights between rival 'gangs' at the scene of an accident.

I criticise some of these companies (if you can call them companies - Body snatchers) and Foundations ('some' of which operate with a degree of graft) and I criticise those in positions of decision making power who do not provide legislation to improve these services.

Of course, its easy to accuse me of 'complaining and being ungrateful', however, recognising and acknowledging the flaws in the current system is not ungrateful or complaining, its simply recognition of the flaws with the current system, something which you are unable to do because you are blinded to the realities through your national loyalty and inability to handle criticism directed at your country. 

On 5/8/2020 at 7:26 AM, wotsdermatter said:

In Ontario, I cannot speak for other provinces, if a patient is being transferred from a hospital to a rehab centre the ambulance is free.  If the patient is taken from the scene of an accident the patient may have to pay depending on the circumstances.  If the "patient" is a senior citizen the ambulance fee is reduced by 10%.  Every person working in an ambulance company and either driving the vehicle, attending a patient or assisting are all highly qualified to perform their jobs.  Even the drivers are qualified because they also provide assistance to the patient.  None own their own ambulance and each ambulance meets the standards laid down by the province.  All must update their skills every year, and this goes for most countries.  In the UK, and some other countries we have the St. John's Ambulance Brigade for first aid and all are much better qualified for attending to emergencies than anybody I have seen in Thailand, and that includes those in ambulances from hospitals.  Most of the St. John's Brigade are volunteers and on call at all hours and must update their skills and knowledge on an annual basis.  There is nothing like it in Thailand.

'nuf sed.

Yinn seems to think that on the basis that there is someone there at all (i.e. Thai First Aiders volunteering), it is good enough and their lack of training and the system within which they operate should not be criticised.

I enjoy the forgiving attitudes in Thailand. The lack of confrontationalism and lack of open criticism is what makes Thailand a pleasant place to live every day life. Unfortunately, this same attitude incapacitates Thailand from tasking such issues professionally.

Its ok for those of us who love living in Thailand to openly discuss its weaknesses without the need to overtly 'bash' Thailand or become an 'apologist'. We can recognise with balance that there are flaws, they can be discussed and areas of improvement, sometimes significant areas of improvement can be found.

I find that my views of such issues to measure up very closely with those views of my close Thai friends. I find that Yinn, on the other than, sometimes finds herself trying too hard to defend the indefensible and in doing so buries her head in the sand and cherry picks an incredibly simplistic argument which fails to stand up to scrutiny.