What's happening with TESCO ?

On 5/8/2020 at 12:49 PM, northsouthdevide said:

Everything normal, except they don't seem to be replacing tesco own brand stock once sold. 

Not good news for those who like a nice cup of tea at a decent price. 

Any alternative suggestions anyone? 

It's because they've been bought by CP.

No more 'home brand' anything.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Everything normal, except they don't seem to be replacing tesco own brand stock once sold. 

Siamburi's if you live near Pattaya.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2020 at 12:02 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Very bad for competition.

Nikkei Asian Review commented on how Central was also bidding and should've been the winner. Central's area is mostly high end retail, and this would've moved them into the conventional area also. CP already controls this area with all of Thailand's 7-11s. Allowing them to grab even more was ridiculous. Even better would've been to give a totally new player a chance.

Not surprising, considering how this is the same country in which not only did the big guy "win", but also had his competition disbanded.

Tesco has also sold out in Malaysia (whether part of the same deal I have no idea). CP Group's buy-out of Tesco was Thailand's largest ever Corporate take-over. For well known UK brands, TOPS supermarkets are worth a visit and if you live in or near Chiang Mai, RIMPING is another supermarket selling branded UK goods.

take a look at Lazada

18 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Even better would've been to give a totally new player a chance.

Who said new players were not allowed to bid? For Tesco, the highest bid is all that counts

Look up Barry's tea, from Ireland. I get 100 bags for around 7 Euros, including postage. So strong I can use a bag twice, too. Various blends to choose from. And far, far cheaper than what Lazada are charging, as some have suggested you look at.
For some bizarre reason, Twinings charges close to 25 pounds postage from the UK.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Thanks 1

Siam expat foods have these ones... not a tea drinker myself so they maybe utter garbage !!

1511495605_teabags.jpg.a93342f011f4894421f0288d3507c12e.jpg1659708622_teabags02.jpg.1309bd7100d53f3aa559142f0e526c61.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

I gave Tesco a miss long ago apart from a visit every 3 months .

Big C better for me . Tesco's decent beef has been non existent for years now

I have a sizeable Big C near me. Then Tesco Lotus opened up a couple of hundred metres away and Big C's trade dropped at least 90 per cent. You'll see about three cars parked outside now, and they might belong to staff. You can almost see the tumbleweed blowing across. They reduced to one cashier, all the little side stores closed. I feel sorry for them because they do have some good stuff there, meat and fish-wise. But then, so does Tesco.

But it's very clear who the locals prefer.

It'll be a shame of they fully stop importing any Tesco products. I much prefer Foodland, but do make one trip to Tesco each month to get some stuff.

I imagine it might end up like Big C which basically has nothing decent imported and is just fully geared towards the Thai market. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Postmaster said:

Is there a Monopolies Commission in Thailand investigating this sale ?

And if so, why is there only one Monopolies Commission?

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

"Heladiv English Breakfast Tea" works for me - Big C sell it in boxes of 100 bags, it comes from Sri Lanka