Irrigation Dept mulls water strategy for wet season

rooster59

By The Nation

800_1e993087b68d7da.jpg

The Department of Irrigation is drawing up a water management plan for rice and other farming during the rainy season.

Thongplew Kongjan, director-general of the department, said the dry season had technically ended and the wet season was about to begin.

The department is now waiting for a report from the Meteorological Department, which it will use to calculate its irrigation strategy for the wet months of the rice growing season.

The strategy must factor in dams, which cannot be allowed to drop below critical levels that safeguard future consumption and the ecosystem. The department is also preparing plans for floods during the wet season.

It estimates that 31.35 million cubic metres of water will be needed to feed 16.79 million rai of rice plants and 10.29 million rai of other crops. The Chao Phraya River will provide 11.66 million cubic metres for 10.57 million rai of crops while the Mae Klong River will supply another 4.76 million to feed 2.42 million rai of crops.

The department has advised rice farmers to plant in the third week of May when the start of the wet season brings regular rain.

The North has 5.13 million rai of rice fields, while the Central and Western region has 5.86 million rai, the Northeast 3.48 million, the East 1.34 million, and the South 0.99 million rai.

The department warned the Chao Phraya River may not have enough water to feed the 1.145 million rai of rice farms along its banks.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387531

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-09

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, bodga said:

but don't for heavens's  sake build  more reservoirs.

Not a lot of point building more reservoirs in the North east, can't fill the ones that exist now, the largest has been near empty for two years.

They can draw all the plans up they won't but if there is no rainfall, as has been the situation for the last few years?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

They should worry about the next Dry season, when the Wet season starts they will have Plenty Water. Nows the time(50 years to Late) to make More Dams to Collect water for the next Dry season .Must get some New Blood in the Irrigation Department . The Old blood is No good . 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, digger70 said:

make More Dams to Collect water for the next Dry season .

When the current dams are not being filled in the wet season what would be the point in wasting money on more dry holes?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, digger70 said:

They must put them in the right places . During the Wet Season they Will get some water .That's still better then None. More Holes As you call them are better than None.

Sounds like a great plan! the current dams are dry, lets put more in so that they will also be dry?

Imagine the outcry from the experts on TVF then ???? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Not everyone lives where you do.

They don't? coastal areas where you have run off I can see the point in digging more holes, the rest of the country, its going to have droughts, just like it always has!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CGW said:

They don't? coastal areas where you have run off I can see the point in digging more holes, the rest of the country, its going to have droughts, just like it always has!

So what are your ideas, oh wise one?

Rainmaking and cloudseeding?

Here's a strategy: fill the ¤#%¤#%% reservoirs first and then start to distribute. The cause for empty reservoirs is that they didn't fill them in 2019. In other words, keep the valves nearly shut until we've got the ponds full.

In Eastern seaboard we're screwed because the Chinese whip & belt thing uses all the scarce water in the industrial zone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

So what are your ideas, oh wise one?

Rainmaking and cloudseeding?

Thank you for the acknowledgement, yes I am wise enough to realise that no one is going to fund digging a large hole next to an existing dry hole, even in Thailand! even here I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to ask for the funding and land to dig a "dry hole", though wouldn't put money on that!

Rainmaking and cloud seeding - if they work? just take rain away from other areas as I understand it?

I doubt their is an affordable solution, especially now, going to have to continue living with it!

As above, in some areas the resources have been given to industry, resources that should never have been allocated in the first place, paying for others 'errors"

Next? ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CGW said:

When the current dams are not being filled in the wet season what would be the point in wasting money on more dry holes?

Where are the empty dams, apart from next to your house?  No empty dams where I live.  All the reservoirs I've visited or seen photos of are nowhere near empty.  Low, but they usually are at this time of year, end of dry season.  Building more dams would increase capacity, since, at the moment rain runs off into the rivers. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Where are the empty dams, apart from next to your house?  No empty dams where I live.  All the reservoirs I've visited or seen photos of are nowhere near empty.  Low, but they usually are at this time of year, end of dry season.  Building more dams would increase capacity, since, at the moment rain runs off into the rivers. 

Whats with the "next to your house nonsense"? a personal attack because i am stating facts you don't like? Sorry about that! there is actually a small dam next to my house, but it is NOT empty.

So if the dams in your area, same as mine have water, you don't have a drought?

I thought the discussion was about adding dams for storage to prevent drought?

The largest dam by far in the North East of Thailand is Udonrat, it is dry for the second year running, check attached daily updated summary, areas with drought have no water, look back at the history, you will notice the trend is the dams don't get enough rainfall.

https://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2020 at 5:24 AM, rooster59 said:

which cannot be allowed to drop below critical levels that safeguard future consumption and the ecosystem.

Aren't some of them used by EGAT to generate electricity? <deleted> all to do with ecosystem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

maybe these ones.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1163574-despite-empty-reservoirs-pattaya-will-have-enough-water-pwa-insists/

16 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Here's a strategy: fill the ¤#%¤#%% reservoirs first and then start to distribute. The cause for empty reservoirs is that they didn't fill them in 2019. In other words, keep the valves nearly shut until we've got the ponds full.

They accomplished the filling back in 2011. Their problem is that they're not able to distribute / release rationally.

Edited by newatthis
grammar

On 5/9/2020 at 5:31 AM, bodga said:

Same same every year, so when it  all  floods they can send out the 100 baht compensation and some minister handing over a  pack of 5 year old food , then await the drought, but don't for heavens's  sake build  more reservoirs.

Actually around Prachuap people are digging holes everywhere in the hope they fill up, also our local river has been dredged so for once it seems they doing something

Mind you its out of desperation we bone dry water wise

20 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Why do they leave everything to the last minute!  Surely they should have a 5 year plan already drawn up.  How difficult is it?   There is a rainy season nearly every year, followed by a dry season.  There should be plans drawn up and contingencies for large amounts or small amounts of rain, long dry (drought) conditions, or short periods of dryness!  They should know exactly how much rain is needed and in which areas.  Weather can be unpredictable we all know that so have plans drawn up for every eventuality.  What are taxpayers paying the Department of Irrigation for!!!!

Your logic is way more than these people can cope with.

Lets start with small but important steps like

What's it worth to me 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Why do they leave everything to the last minute!  Surely they should have a 5 year plan already drawn up.  How difficult is it?   There is a rainy season nearly every year, followed by a dry season.  There should be plans drawn up and contingencies for large amounts or small amounts of rain, long dry (drought) conditions, or short periods of dryness!  They should know exactly how much rain is needed and in which areas.  Weather can be unpredictable we all know that so have plans drawn up for every eventuality.  What are taxpayers paying the Department of Irrigation for!!!!

Nice rant and certainly adds to the anti Thai sentiment on this forum! Shame it is devoid of facts ????

There are thousands & thousands of miles of irrigation and drainage channels in this country, most are very well maintained as are the medium and small dams, try getting out and about and checking your facts ????

You might be surprised and be able to look at Thailand in a positive light :shock1: