do you acknowledge other farangs?

2 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I was brought up in the 1950s in NYC, a time of far greater civility & not as many people. Both my grandmothers taught me to ALWAYS acknowledge anyone I passed on the street.

It's an old habit but one I'm loath to break. Maybe if we acknowledged others, we actually might create some kind of community spirit and be civil with one another.

I say "Sawadee" to everyone FIRST & am NEVER ignored but returned in kind.

Other people might need your help sometime or you might need theirs. So be human already!

They have already and then pay back money to a niece your money!!!

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I was at the gym a few months ago and a farang was using the locker above mine. He looked as if he was terrified of me saying something. 

I said, "where are you from?". 

He said, "Khon Kaen, I'm an oldtimer here, been living here for 8 years"

I then realized he was a <deleted>, and although my ego wanted to say some things in Thai to him, I ignored him.

I usually give a smile and a nod to strangers but say nothing.

I don't understand?

did u take offence at him saying that???????

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Daí Alog ?, was that his name ??

Yep , he was a logger , in the Forestry Commission , with a chain saw .

Best avoided ..

Edited by elliss

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I don't understand?

did u take offence at him saying that???????

No I don't take offense.

it's just a stupid thing to say.

If a farang asks me where I come from, I'll say Scotland.

Once in Aberdeen I over heard a Thai wifie in Primart on the phonesaying she was scared of farang. I shouted over "don't be scared, we don't bit" and she was shocked. I then askde her where she came from as I lived in Khon Kaen.  She said she was from Aberdeen and walked away. First Aberdonian I met with an Isanese accent ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some of the guys I see around Khon Kaen are with ladies of the night.

If you were walking with one in your home country or here, wouldn't you feel embarrassed and look away?

I used to be friendly with a lapdancer in Aberdeen and must admit I felt a tad embarrased one Saturday afternoon when walking down the main road with her and ignored my aunt Aggie who was waiting for the number 14 bus.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Some of the guys I see around Khon Kaen are with ladies of the night.

If you were walking with one in your home country or here, wouldn't you feel embarrassed and look away?

I used to be friendly with a lapdancer in Aberdeen and must admit I felt a tad embarrased one Saturday afternoon when walking down the main road with her and ignored my aunt Aggie who was waiting for the number 14 bus.

But only a tad!????

No,there do,'es  seem to be no allegiance amongst farangs,there appears to be a lot of garbage who apparently have" chosen Thailand as their home " ( just remember you are a guest there and could be removed at a moment's notice) who look down on their fellow countrymen,and will always take the Thai side,which can be seen on this forum quite often.contrast this to the way thais who seem to be patriotic (nothing wrong with that ) and will stand up for each other in an altercation,is it any wonder "stupid farang"is in such wide use. Ps the word garbage used at the start of this post,I originally wrote farang,but the spell checker misquoted me and as I thought it rather apt,will leave it.

First off, for the OP, approaching a guy in any form of drag for casual conversation (anywhere in the world) is going to be considered "showing an interest."  (asking for directions or something like that is another thing)  If you're not looking for a walk on the wild side don't go there.

Some nationalities tend to flock together when they encounter each other out in the world.  Probably the most extreme I've seen are the Israelis, and also the Argentines -- they seem to become joined at the hip, and when they gather they'll exclude others.

As has been pointed out to me more than twice, and always by Brits, is that Americans tend to avoid one another, and this was long before the current orange situation.

In places like Bkk and Pattaya when I see a farang guy I don't wonder "is he drunk?" but rather "how drunk is he?"

Having never done the house and long-term gf thing, I'm usually open to talking with guys who are settled in, as I'll probably learn stuff that I'm not going to get from books or newspapers.  Aside from the guys trying to run hustles the ones that annoy me most are the guys who take an attitude because they claim to have been in LOS so much longer than myself, and it turns out they can't even count to 10 in Thai.

53 minutes ago, bendejo said:

First off, for the OP, approaching a guy in any form of drag for casual conversation

Something like this. It's one thing to greet or talk to someone when you meet them.

It's another thing to randomly just walk up to someone in Tesco's who is just sitting there ... and force him into a conversation.

Who knows, the guy sits there and just has a bad day? Not really waiting for a guy to walk up to him and want to chit chat ... just because

he has the same color of skin or is from the same race.

Did the OP ever think about that?

But I agree, you could at least listen for a second and see whether he needs help or directions. That would be the right thing to do.

Edited by RedPill

Only time I want to talk to strangers is if I sit down and have a cup of coffee somewhere, done that many times in Bangkok/CM/Pattaya.  

But why would I talk to someone when I go shopping at Big C? That would just look silly. But I will listen if a desperate farang try to contact me, at least for 5 seconds.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ive got a "He Looks like a". attitude towards ferangs. Warning Lights Flash when i see a Millennial Oik in a Shirt n Tie, Teacher or God Squad idle type creatures mainly. . Digital Nomads, easy to spot, lurks about looking for free internet places .A raggy <deleted> lot full of confidence but no Money. Anyone in Bicycle Lycra Romper attire..Germans in Black Socks. Any. Ferang with a great big FORD sign on his Truck. If you go for a walk, and sit down by a 60 ish ferang retired with good pension thats as near you will get to a ferang worth acknowledging.

1 hour ago, pineapple01 said:

Ive got a "He Looks like a". attitude towards ferangs. Warning Lights Flash when i see a Millennial Oik in a Shirt n Tie, Teacher or God Squad idle type creatures mainly. . Digital Nomads, easy to spot, lurks about looking for free internet places .A raggy <deleted> lot full of confidence but no Money. Anyone in Bicycle Lycra Romper attire..Germans in Black Socks. Any. Ferang with a great big FORD sign on his Truck. If you go for a walk, and sit down by a 60 ish ferang retired with good pension thats as near you will get to a ferang worth acknowledging.

But that does

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

And you're 100% wrong.  Read my earlier post and you'll see that I'm not. I don't understand you're reasoning at all. Most wouldn't either.

Only an idiot couldn't understand. You have a prejudice against anyone not thinking like. You Show me a Man who says he doesn't have one prejudice , ill show you a Liar.

23 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Only an idiot couldn't understand. You have a prejudice against anyone not thinking like. You Show me a Man who says he doesn't have one prejudice , ill show you a Liar.

Calling someone an idiot when you know nothing about them shows everyone your intelligence. And saying everyone HAS a prejudice doesn't imply it's against people. Don't quote other people and think it's a fact. You by your posts have shown prejudice to everyone here. I have a Thai wife and 1/2 Thai daughter, I've lived next door to blacks, puerto ricans, hispanics and everything else and considered them my friends. Prejudice is learned at an early age, usually from parents, and mine weren't. Some of my friends have shown prejudice and I've corrected them in their statements, knowing it was taught by their parents personally. I have nothing against Muslims, even though a lot call them terrorists. Nothing against the Chinese, although it was them who supposedly started this pandemic. I always stick up for any minority if I see them being <deleted> on. I'm prejudiced against ignorant know it alls that have to show their hate. I think women are my equals,and I'm not a chauvinist. I'm a Christian,but show no disrespect towards any other religions. My son is gay, and I've never had any hate towards gays, even when they hit on me in gyms I've worked out at. I respect others opinions, and disagreeing isn't prejudice. I don't call you an idiot. You might be one, but I don't know you,so all I can say is that you are wrong in your guessing. These are the common prejudices..................

• Racism.
  • Sexism.
  • Classism.
  • Homophobia.
  • Nationalism.
  • Religious prejudice.
  • Ageism.
  • Xenophobia..............I have none of them.
Edited by fredwiggy