Dengue Fever

lelapin

There is an open drain with dirty stagnant water near my house in a gated village. The committee say they are not able to resolve the problem. I have read today that water like this during the approaching rainy season encourages the breeding of mosquitoes and greatly increases the risk of dengue fever. 

Can anyone recommend an approach to resolve this problem with for example regular spraying.

I would appreciate if the comedians on the forum directed their humour to other topics as I have existing medical problems and trying to avert further issues is a serious matter to me.

The local government do some spraying around these parts at certain times of the year.

They occasionally spray something from a pickup in the middle of the night, I've seen it go past the house a couple of times, it's a noisy thing.

I believe they do this in areas where there are problems.

if I were you I'd spray it myself and when it rains just spray again, not sure how easy it is to get your hands on the proper insecticide for that particular type of mosquito though but I'm sure it's available somewhere.

• Like 1

They are not able to resolve it? More like they can't be bothered to. My legs, especially the ankles are covered in mozzy spray, every time I leave the house. And the room is sprayed each time we leave. Stay away from any open drains.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Spraying with insecticide will help but the spray will quickly be washed away when it rains

Better approach is just use insect repellent when you go out...or if possible avoid walking near it. The mosquito doesn:t fly very far from its breeding site.

Thanks for the advice. Is there an insect repellent you would recommend. Also any electric powered small machine that is effective.

Edited by lelapin

3 hours ago, lelapin said:

Thanks for the advice. Is there an insect repellent you would recommend. Also any electric powered small machine that is effective.

Screens on doors and windows are a must in Thailand.Ponds, dams ,man made canals are everywhere mostly for irrigation it’s impossible to eradicate every suspect waterway.Fish eat larvae introduce some Tilapia a very hardy Thai fish that you can also eat when fully developed so 2 purposes taken care of.Sorry that’s all I can suggest we do that in our lake and it works not many mozzies.

We used something called '15', available everywhere.

It comes as a lotion and as tissues.

I'm not sure if it's good for the skin, but it works.

Additional, as already suggested, avoid any place

containing water, flower pots etc.

You might too search here on Thaivisa: 'dengue'

A lot of information. May be too much.

5 hours ago, lelapin said:

... in a gated village. The committee say they are not able to resolve the problem ...

May be some friendly asking could help?   -   Committee? - Village head?!

In our village it took me and 5 other people last August, after suffering from dengue,

to start a spraying session. They repeated that later twice.

It's a very bad smell, sure not healthy but it seems to kill the mozzies.

Better close every door/window!  -  Better close every door/window!  -  Better close every door/window!

After spraying no more dengue cases in our village, in our Amphoe.

5 hours ago, lelapin said:

existing medical problems

This everyone should understand.

Good luck!

11 minutes ago, Yom said:

We used something called '15', available everywhere.

It comes as a lotion and as tissues.

I'm not sure if it's good for the skin, but it works.

Additional, as already suggested, avoid any place

containing water, flower pots etc.

You might too search here on Thaivisa: 'dengue'

A lot of information. May be too much.

May be some friendly asking could help?   -   Committee? - Village head?!

In our village it took me and 5 other people last August, after suffering from dengue,

to start a spraying session. They repeated that later twice.

It's a very bad smell, sure not healthy but it seems to kill the mozzies.

Better close every door/window!  -  Better close every door/window!  -  Better close every door/window!

After spraying no more dengue cases in our village, in our Amphoe.

This everyone should understand.

Good luck!

Do you know what was used for the spraying sessions

47 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Do you know what was used for the spraying sessions

Sorry, no.

But I'm sure, it's something not available at BigC or Tesco-Lotus.

Noticed this perfume before at other places too, Hua Hin, ChiangMai, ...

Take care!

Dengue fever is maybe a bigger problem than Covid in asia.

But nobody wants to make statistic on it, why is it not so interesting ?

Actually there is solutions to fight dengue, but it is only done in low scale why ?

Thailand tourist authorities should have more interest in this problem, if dengue fever will shows big numbers the western tourist will be scared away again.

Now the rainseason is comming the dengue threat will grow to a much higher level.

I know a village where they do spray something, I dont know what it is or where to buy it. I have a farrang friend living there, the village is spraying good except close to the farrang house. In my village we are all equal, here they do nothing to fight dengue. I got the idea that the dengue fight is giving out to the village level, that could be an explanation to the low level of dengue fight.

To me it seems like farrangs also in this way had to take of them selves.

I would like to know about this spray chemical, where to get it, then I will spray around mine and my farrang friends houses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, finnsk said:

then I will spray around mine and my farrang friends houses.

I'm not sure, this would help?

It's a job for the authorities spraying the whole village.

Suppose, it's not useful to spray only one's garden, while

the mozzies fly in from neighbouring areas.

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The chemicals used for outdoor spraying are harmful if inhaled or much contact with skin, need special equipment to safely use it.

Don:t try to dabble with that

Just apply insect repellant when you go out

7-11 sells several brands, they all seem to work. I would probably start with one of the natural citronella ones, if that doesn't work then switch to the chemicals

Is it worth pouring bleach on to the metal grating above the stagnant water

I like to use a bit of common with these mozzies.

Firstly; take away their holding areas. Secondly; make their environment uncomfortable. Thirdly; know what to do if you think you are infected.

Search areas that are out of the wind and quiet. Spray the area.

Go to a neem tree, get leaves, and use the leaves to deter the mozzies.

@Frotting (TVF member) did some great posts on Dengue fever some time back. Well worth a look, if infected. Natural cure.

And lastly; build up your immune system; just in case.

I understand that mossies don't like oily substances. I don't know if your stagnant water is 'still' water, or if the water flowing - (as in a stream).

If the water is still, try adding a cup of soapy liquid to the water and maybe stir it a little.

Depends on the amount of water you have, too.

You could try bleach as an alternative?

The mossies like still water. If the water is flowing, you won't get them laying their eggs - so you would be safe as far as that water is concerned.

19 hours ago, cheshiremusicman said:

You can try pouring a little bit of cooking oil onto the water in the drain which will settle into a very thin film on the surface and stop larvae from breeding. Not an ideal solution but better than nothing.

I was thinking of a litre of motor oil, the larvae can't breathe through the film. Environmental vandalism I know, but it is a question of the OP's priorities.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:47 AM, Silent Number said:

Tilapia a very hardy Thai fish

Tilapia is native to Africa and the Middle east but is now farmed pretty much world wide.  Also they eat plants so I don't think they would help with mosquitos.

Quote:-

A thin coating of oil on top of water suffocates mosquito larvae, killing them quickly. Use natural oils, such as olive oil or vegetable oil, for this control method. You also can use cinnamon oil. You only need 1 teaspoon of oil per gallon of water.

This method reduces the surface tension of the water and the larvae cannot get air through their breathing tubes.

Mosquito Larvae Wrigglers; Tumblers | MDC Discover Nature

• Like 1