Low-skilled men suffer highest COVID fatalities in England and Wales

snoop1130

Low-skilled men suffer highest COVID fatalities in England and Wales

bcvb.PNG

Construction workers are seen at a site entrance in London, following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), London, Britain May 11, 2020. REUTERS/Simon Dawson

LONDON (Reuters) - Men in the lowest-skilled jobs had the highest rate of death involving COVID-19 among working-age people in England and Wales, according to data on Monday which also showed deaths among nurses and doctors was no higher than the average.

The data was published after Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Sunday that manufacturing and construction workers should be encouraged to go back to their jobs, drawing concern from trade union groups.

Men in the lowest-skilled jobs suffered 21.4 COVID-related deaths per 100,000 males in the period up to April 20, more than double the average for working age males of just under 10 deaths per 100,000, the Office for National Statistics said.

The average death rate for working age women was 5.2 per 100,000.

Male security guards had a death rate of more than four times the overall average for working-age people. Male chefs, taxi drivers, chauffeurs and bus and coach drivers and also had higher death rates.

Male and female care workers and home carers - some of whom have raised concerns publicly about a lack of protective equipment - had significantly raised rates of 23.4 and 9.6 COVID-related deaths per 100,000 respectively, the data showed.

But healthcare workers, including doctors and nurses, were not found to have higher rates of COVID-related deaths than people of the same age and sex in the general population.

The ONS said its data did not prove that higher death involving COVID-19 were necessarily caused by differences in exposure to the virus through work.

It adjusted its data for age, but not for other factors such as ethnic group and place of residence.

Last week, the ONS said black people and men of Bangladeshi and Pakistani origin were nearly twice as likely to die from the COVID-19 disease than whites, even when adjusting data for deprivation.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-11

Perhaps they are low-skilled because they are not the most intelligent people. And exactly these not very smart people think that they are smart and can meet after work with other non-smart people for having a beer.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 6

Evolution continues. Think about it, the survivors of this, and I guess they're high breeders, are likely to have children inherently immune. The middle classes protect themselves and their kids, wear glasses (a metaphorical statement indicating genetic weakness), and push cretins into the upper stratas of society - like doctors, lawyers, and what have you. Yeah, we have a take on DNA, but you want your son to be Mozart or Papillon.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nausea said:

Evolution continues. Think about it, the survivors of this, and I guess they're high breeders, are likely to have children inherently immune. The middle classes protect themselves and their kids, wear glasses (a metaphorical statement indicating genetic weakness), and push cretins into the upper stratas of society - like doctors, lawyers, and what have you. Yeah, we have a take on DNA, but you want your son to be Mozart or Papillon.

Spend some time reading up on Mozart’s siblings.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Last week, the ONS said black people and men of Bangladeshi and Pakistani origin were nearly twice as likely to die from the COVID-19 disease than whites, even when adjusting data for deprivation.

Deprivation ? Free benefits, healthcare, and given priority job opportunties over the natives in many employment sectors - including the BBC. Let's imagine Thailand giving us that kind of 'deprivation'. Never happen in a million years because they're not completely insane.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"Last week, the ONS said black people and men of Bangladeshi and Pakistani origin were nearly twice as likely to die from the COVID-19 disease than whites, even when adjusting data for deprivation."

This is a little surprising as there is no country where Asian have death rates anything like they are in the UK. This lead me to infer that they were "relatively immune" compared to white people. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

"Last week, the ONS said black people and men of Bangladeshi and Pakistani origin were nearly twice as likely to die from the COVID-19 disease than whites, even when adjusting data for deprivation."

This is a little surprising as there is no country where Asian have death rates anything like they are in the UK. This lead me to infer that they were "relatively immune" compared to white people. 

Life expectancy:
Bangladesh - 72.05 years
Pakistan - 66.95 years
India - 69.16 years
UK - 81.16 years

During the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak it's thought that around 18 million of the 50 million that died were on the sub-continent.

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Life expectancy:
Bangladesh - 72.05 years
Pakistan - 66.95 years
India - 69.16 years
UK - 81.16 years

During the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak it's thought that around 18 million of the 50 million that died were on the sub-continent.

Thailand expats??  

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Aye, and we also had Scotland's Chief Health Officer supporting the stay at home, don't travel, lock down rules. But she thought that didn't apply to her and her family.

The professor did resign in shame. Scotland's CHO didn't.

Again, even in this crisis we see that those in power, laying down rules for others, think they're above it.

It was ever thus, all politicos and Civil Servants are talentless, self serving hypocrites.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

when I used to go to my local UK supermarket, you were lucky to find the manager anywhere near a customer.  If you did find him or her, it was either a spotty youth, in a cheap suit, with not the faintest idea of how to manage anything, even himself, or a harassed. over weight biddy, who got the job because she had been there for 100 years and nobody else wanted it and she also didn't have a clue.  But maybe that was just my local TESCO.  Now I am in Thailand and the managers here are still invisible, ineffective and/or useless, but the old biddies have been replaced by young girls on skates, who still haven't got a clue and look at you as thought its your fault that the product you have given them doesn't have a bar code, or that the code isn't in their scanning machine, because some moron forgot to register it. Ah well, got a bit off topic there.  keep calm and carry on. Jai yen yen   

At my local supermarket, (Waitrose in Surbiton) it is very different story.  The shelf fillers tend to be A level students working part time. The general staff and till workers are often management trainees as part of their apprenticeships. there are of a fair share of old hand supermarket workers but everyone is a "partner" in the business  Service is always polite and well informed.

I am aware that that Waitrose leads the way in the industry but our local Sainsbury is not that different.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

At my local supermarket, (Waitrose in Surbiton) it is very different story.  The shelf fillers tend to be A level students working part time. The general staff and till workers are often management trainees as part of their apprenticeships. there are of a fair share of old hand supermarket workers but everyone is a "partner" in the business  Service is always polite and well informed.

I am aware that that Waitrose leads the way in the industry but our local Sainsbury is not that different.

Yes, Waitrose is a cut above the rest, which you pay for of course, but there is no excuse for poor customer service, whatever company is involved, something Tesco never seems to learn, In UK or Thailand.  

Edited by Pilotman

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Yes, Waitrose is a cut above the rest, which you pay for of course, but there is no excuse for poor customer service, whatever company is involved, something Tesco never seems to learn, In UK or Thailand.  

True enough, Tesco never seem to get it right. It can be a bit of a myth about Waitrose being more expensive.  It very much depends on what it is you are buying.  They have the same policy of their sister company John Lewis about never knowingly being undersold but with groceries that is a minefield as the quality varies so much.

Secret is to get a loyalty card which these days is linked to the John Lewis Card.  There are regular special offers and discounts to card members and I get my newspaper gratis every day.  Some things are certainly expensive but as a foodie I still find it great value.

Oops!  Sorry guys, I have just realised I have turned this post into a shopping trip recommendation.  As you were ????

• Like 1

Is it the low skilled jobs that cause a higher percentage of Covid 19, or is it other conditions that cause both Covid 19 and low skilled jobs, without any of them   being the primary causal factor? 

Edited by sirineou

4 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Is this a silver lining in a dark cloud? Which skill level is both easiest to replace and easiest to do without ?

Middle class, thats why its disappearing. If you lose the lower class then the upper class dont have anyone to do their work and so drop down in class.

The upper class needs the lower class.

12 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Life expectancy:
Bangladesh - 72.05 years
Pakistan - 66.95 years
India - 69.16 years
UK - 81.16 years

Too much ghee in their diet doesn't help.  

On 5/12/2020 at 12:10 AM, Andrew65 said:

The lower social classes tend to die younger anyway, not just from COVID19. Sometimes it's in the genes.

Lower social classes IMO smoke more, drink more and eat bad food more than higher classes. Such habits would, IMO, lead to earlier deaths, and in the present situation might make them more susceptible to the disease.

9 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Too much ghee in their diet doesn't help.  

Yes, I once discussed ghee with our (very good) Indian chef in Oman.

He said one thing about it was that if you put plenty of it in the pan you didn't have to stand there constantly stirring, useful when the are 5 or 6 pans on the go (unless you're Durga!)

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Lower social classes IMO smoke more, drink more and eat bad food more than higher classes. Such habits would, IMO, lead to earlier deaths, and in the present situation might make them more susceptible to the disease.

Yes, true, there have been many studies on this. They're also more likely to live in bad housing, and work in hazardous jobs. There're also a helluva lot more of 'em!????

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Then why are death rates in India so much lower than for Indians in the UK?

Maybe partly because even the lower classes have access to reasonably good healthcare? Also, less train crashes, car crashes, electrocutions, snakebites etc, rather like Thailand!

3 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Maybe partly because even the lower classes have access to reasonably good healthcare? Also, less train crashes, car crashes, electrocutions, snakebites etc, rather like Thailand!

So in India better health care than in UK? Also the rest of your reasoning doesn't match reality.