Thailand reports three new coronavirus cases, no additional deaths

rooster59

Thailand reports three new coronavirus cases, no additional deaths

2020-05-17T050316Z_1_LYNXMPEG4G03E_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People queue up to have their temperature taken before entering the Ratchada Railway Night Market, which is reopening amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, after the Thai government eased isolation measures, in Bangkok, Thailand, May 15, 2020. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported three additional cases of the new coronavirus, bringing its total cases to 3,028 as the country relaxes local restrictions and re-opens malls and department stores.

The three new cases, detected in state quarantine, were students returning from overseas, one from Pakistan and two from Egypt, a spokesman for the government's Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration, Taweesin Wisanuyothin, said on Sunday.

Thailand has reported a total of 56 deaths and 116 patients were still being treated.

2,856 patients have recovered.

(Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-17

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

We still haven't quite got social distancing yet.

Four lines painted on the ground - containing 6 people in the queue.

What happens when the couple behind line 4 go home together and share the same bed? How do you go about social distancing in the bedroom?

Of course, that is assuming they are in a relationship, but the fact remains how many 'comply' in the home?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

And what perfect country are you from that is doing such a wonderful better job then they are here maintaining low numbers and deaths?

Right. In Thailand, when people were all getting sick they introduced the lockdown. During this time everyone was free to go to the 7-11/Tesco Lotus express or local food shops their goods...

After days with no new cases, they decide to put restrictions on Malls, which makes sense, and apply them to the 7-11 and Tesco Lotus, so you can no longer go there locally without scanning in, giving them your details and phone number and signing in and out.

Meanwhile people will take on a 3-4 hour drive and refuse to remove their masks in the car to be safe.

It's not just about doing a 'better job' it's more about the way they go about it.

Back in about 1978 I remember Beatties department store in England had signs at the entrance to the car park... They would allow cars in until it was full, and then close the car park until someone drives out to allow another car in. So I would say that Thailand is at least 42 years behind in that respect - they'll allow everyone to turn up and double park, and then stand and sweat while they faff about.

Sure, for 'non essential' shopping, they might have a good idea to have everyone either agree to install apps and scan in (those without apps can scribble 'Batman' and some stupid fake phone number to satisfy the need for 'compliance') but to apply this rule to the entrance to a minimart - rather than simply allow 5 people in and then force the next to wait until someone comes out - is utterly ridiculous in any language or country.

Even beyond that, my son came for a ride in the car - and stayed in the car - but when he got home his mother insisted he needed to do santiization with alchohol, as she disagrees that washing hands is equally effective and also avoids the need to use up and purchase sanitizer.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

What happens when the couple behind line 4 go home together and share the same bed? How do you go about social distancing in the bedroom?

Of course, that is assuming they are in a relationship, but the fact remains how many 'comply' in the home?

As yet unpublished research suggests that human beings are capable of all sexual bodily functions at distances of up to three meters, including immaculate conception.

~o:37;

1 hour ago, Canuck1966 said:

You do realise 70-80% of the world needs to get infected before this fizzles out

Delaying the inevitable is a waste of time and money

Not according to some very recent research I've read.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Uncited research you have read is, after all, remarkably useful to us in this context.

Ok here's a link, couldn't be bothered to look it up earlier :

More recently, some researchers have suggested that this threshold may be too high. In a new preprint, three mathematicians from Sweden and the United Kingdom, using an R0 of 2.5, calculate a reduction in the herd immunity threshold from 60 percent to 43 percent by incorporating some assumptions with respect to populations' social activity levels and age structures.

Source here : https://reason.com/2020/05/15/whats-the-herd-immunity-threshold-for-the-covid-19-coronavirus/

The actual sources for the various arguments on the page are linked on the above page, mainly this one :

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.06.20093336v1.full.pdf

They're incorporating reality into the pure math model, some people simple don't interact with others so much so not everyone is equal when it comes to R numbers and this is the difference.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

And what perfect country are you from that is doing such a wonderful better job then they are here maintaining low numbers and deaths?

Well, I live in Cambodia. Our figures to date (17th May 2020). Life here continues more or less as normal within the country.

tn_cb-flag.gif
 Cambodia

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

• Thanks 1

i am 63 years old and

today a 17 year old girl said i couldn't go into tesco unless i gave my name at the door. micky mouse will be buying his milk and coffee elsewhere in the future. i sincerely hope that 7 11 get the spanking they deserve also

Edited by Lovebucket
hadn't said enough
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Source here : https://reason.com/2020/05/15/whats-the-herd-immunity-threshold-for-the-covid-19-coronavirus/

The actual sources for the various arguments on the page are linked on the above page, mainly this one :

They're incorporating reality into the pure math model, some people simple don't interact with others so much so not everyone is equal when it comes to R numbers and this is the difference.

Ta muchly

3 minutes ago, Lovebucket said:

i am 63 years old and

today a 17 year old girl said i couldn't go into tesco unless i gave my name at the door. micky mouse will be buying his milk and coffee elsewhere in the future

If you can't cope with Thailand regulations you should perhaps question whether you are suited to being here.

Clearly, in this instance, the 17 year old was the only one acting like a grown up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Thailand is at least 42 years behind in that respect - they'll allow everyone to turn up and double park, and then stand and sweat while they faff about.

And yet Thailand has vastly less coronaviruses cases than England

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lovebucket said:

i am 63 years old and

today a 17 year old girl said i couldn't go into tesco unless i gave my name at the door. micky mouse will be buying his milk and coffee elsewhere in the future. i sincerely hope that 7 11 get the spanking they deserve also

She told you her age.........????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Heppinger said:

And yet Thailand has vastly less coronaviruses cases than England

One of the things we know for certain from the data is that the SARS-Cov-2 virus doesn't do well outdoors, and requires extended close contact (a business meeting in a closed room would be ideal) to transmit from person to person.

Compare the Thai climate and lifestyle with the British one, and you get a fair start on why the European countries are being hit so hard, and yet Cambodia and Vietnam, combined, have yet to officially record a single death.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I've read others that say 20%, I was just being prudent

3 hours ago, samsensam said:

three new cases, but from how many tests?

how many tests are being carried out daily?

the OP really needs to put the 'cut and paste' article in context.

About 3000, ok?

Same pointless question every day......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

I'm glad Thailand has such a strict quarantine system for arrivals.

I agree, hopefully they'll keep that in place. It has been shown that people cannot be trusted to self-isolate.

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

And what perfect country are you from that is doing such a wonderful better job then they are here maintaining low numbers and deaths?

Do you feel better now?

I do not usually respond to sarky remarks, but for you I will make an exception.

Please read my comment carefully.

"We still haven't quite got social distancing yet."

It is not about you, me, them it is about all of us. We. I do not mention Nationality, sex or preference.

I see it everywhere that I go.

Standing in a line waiting for the 'cheap' temperature reading gun to give a false reading and having to stand 'over there' in a group for 5 minutes and people shuffling up before and after me.

Pictures all over the press and websites of police, immigration officers, prime ministers all standing shoulder to shoulder for the 'photo op'.

Everywhere. This was just an obvious example of trying to do it right and <deleted> it up.

We are either serious about 'social distancing' or we are not.

If you are happy with 20 people standing diectly behind you coughing into their masks (if they wear them) fine.

Personally, I think that it is a waste of time and time and time again, I see photos of it NOT happening. But when a group of people decide to give out free food (Thai and foreigner) and they are arrested for not 'social distancing' then something tells me that 'something is rotten in the state of Denmark.' We have low numbers in Thailand but not because of social distancing. That does not happen here.

To summarise. If it does not work - change it.

Edited by Tropicalevo

5 hours ago, Lovebucket said:

i am 63 years old and

It is unclear what you hope to prove, but it is clear that your custom is of absolutely no consequence to anyone.

You are the very definition of entitlement and delusion, don quixote.

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Does it matter. No one pays attention if they don't believe its real...so go figure

22 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

If you can't cope with Thailand regulations you should perhaps question whether you are suited to being here.

Clearly, in this instance, the 17 year old was the only one acting like a grown up.

i coped. and i didn't resort to attacking any messengers, only a corporation

Coronavirus will never be eradicated and is 'almost uncontrollable', top scientist warns

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-never-eradicated-uncontrollable-scientist-122002570.html

A top scientist has told the government that coronavirus may never be fully eradicated as he warned that the disease is “almost uncontrollable”.

Professor David Robertson, head of viral genomics and bioinformatics at the of University of Glasgow, told the House of Lords science and technology committee that COVID-19 could be around for years to come.

He said that, unlike Ebola, the fact that many of those infected with coronavirus experienced no symptoms makes it extremely difficult to trace.

“It is so transmissible, it’s so successful, we’re so susceptible, that actually it’s a little bit of a red herring to worry about it getting worse, because it couldn’t be much worse at the moment in terms of the numbers of cases,” Prof Robertson said.

• Like 1