What it’s really like dining out at social distancing restaurants in Thailand– and why it WON’T work post-lockdown

webfact

7 minutes ago, decca60 said:

according to the OP picture, the most difficult thing to do is eating this nice burger while wearing a mask????!!!!!

Look on the bright side.

With the mask in the way you must be able to eat it quite a few times, while the mask regurgitates it for you.

So, I had the same thought that other people have had: The people at your same people are the people you don't distance from at home. I'm at home with my wife and we have absolutely zero social distancing in our interactions. Then we go out to eat at a restaurant and we are expected to eat with a screen between us and this is going to help keep Covid 19 from spreading?!

Since the app is collecting all of our information to flag those at elevated risk, why not just have the elevated risk section of the restaurant and let everyone else at the green level eat as they normally do?

Or, maybe have a button on the app if you're sitting down at a table in a restaurant that says "Is there anyone at the table whose <deleted> you haven't licked in the last 48 hours?" If you push "yes" then you practice the precautions. If you select "no", then you can eat as you normally do with no stupid screens. 

Lots of possibilities with this app.

Edited by JCP108
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

You're right, there's pretty much no COVID left in Thailand to spread.

You should rephrase this as: "The official COVID figures published in Thailand are extremely low".

I won't say anything definite, but I still wonder. Especially when I see that all new that all "official" infections are Thais, probably Muslims, returning Islamic countries. I am even more puzzled when I see Malaysia shoving figures very similar to those provided by the Thais.

• Like 2

Hmmmm, We went for some Papaya salad yesterday.  Sat at a table and ate.  No one sitting at tables was wearing a mask <deleted>.   Same dining experience as pre covid times, no had sanitizer either.  

Edited by sletraveler
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Its only a good idea if they start testing properly, otherwise it's not for Covid tracing but something else...

Let’s not be silly. It’s to contact trace if a confirmed case is found.

Of course, a case will only be found if a sick person goes to a hospital, but that’s also how it is in New Zealand and S Korea. Countries with virtually no new daily cases are in monitoring  mode now and Thailand (somewhat miraculously) is one of them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, connda said:

Personally I refuse to participate.  If restaurants are going to put up plastic sheeting, require masks, social distancing - then I won't go.  By the way, you can find restaurants is the back alley khets of cities and in villages where none of this nonsense is happening and it's back to business as usual.

This is a virus.  The virus will burn out like all seasonal viruses do. This entire fiasco has been politicized and hyped.  A seasonal flu has been made into something it is not - but in the process the economy, society, culture, and religions have been destroyed.

When average people feel enough pain they'll finally say "enough" then the world can get back to normal - not 'the new normal' promised by technocrats and power mad politicians - but normal. But until then, the economy will continue to be devastated and restaurants will be a bell-weather.  The future bell-weather will be tourism that refuses to recover.

There are quite a few dead people though. There’s that to consider. Maybe not so much in Thailand, but lesser developed countries like USA have suffered quite a bit......if you can believe their numbers pffiiff 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pile of steaming poop ! I have seen photos posted by Thai friends of them eating with about 10 people all crammed into a table for 6 people. Out in car the other day I seen same in Thai street restaurants. All for show to make it look like doing something incase it takes of again and sick numbers increase .

Went to Tesco the other day and in and out with shopping , no temp checks etc and a day ago they started temp checks and getting customers to sign book with information about themselves and limited numbers allowed into the shop. What’s the point after weeks of it being open as normal ! ????

Here in Thailand I feel safe from catching any infection - or should I say only a small risk, unlike the UK government which has been balled up to gross safeguards incompetence. E.G. Commercial air traffic is still arriving  - albeit hugely minimised by 90% - without any passenger restriction - unlike Thailand - which is madness personified, IMO, because it should be a whole lot easier to monitor. 

As for eating out at restaurants, here, it's no big deal - makes a change from staying at home all week. But as far as the OP's burger meal is concerned, it's the least healthiest choice he could have made, IMO. 

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

? It says he is 'Originally from Ireland' not Germany.

No it’s Ireland OK and the way he wears his hat basically tells me it’s Northern Ireland .. If he was a Howya it would be pulled slightly to the right .. Germans are too precise and he would have wore a suit and tie with a baseball hat ... Millar knows