Thai leading food charity sends S-O-S to urge public generosity amid Covid-19

webfact

“SOS” raises money for protecting the most vulnerable during health & economic long-term economic crisis

IMG-20200425-WA0046_2.jpg

While Thailand is facing an unprecedented crisis, Scholars of Sustenance Foundation (SOS) raises the alarm of food insecurity’s drastic growth. The leading food rescue Foundation in the country launches today a donation campaign to cope with Covid-19’s terrible economic and social consequences.

Food insecurity is sadly on the rise as unemployment skyrockets. As many as 10 million Thais could lose their job in the next few months if the current Covid-19 epidemic continues, announced the Federation of Thai Industries. This could lead to a tremendous increase in food relief needs. 

DSCF7733_2.JPG

On the other hand, restaurants and hotels’ food donations are dropping off as sales are plummeting. “Most of the hotels that were giving us their surplus are now closed. They used to represent more than 40% of the food donations we receive in Bangkok and 80% in Phuket! If we don’t do anything, we won’t be able to feed the most vulnerables.” says Bo H. Holmgreen, founder of SOS.

Food banks need new supply sources to keep up with the rising demand. “We are serving over 378,000 meals per month to orphanages, homeless shelters and low-income communities. WE CANNOT STOP NOW! We are adapting quickly and we already found new food donors, especially farmers in the countryside. 

IMG-20200425-WA0039_2.jpg

To collect their food donations, it means buying more materials, increasing transportation costs, maybe purchasing a dedicated truck,” assume Bo. There’s been a tremendous warm-hearted generosity from the Thai people and companies at various level. Now, this is not going to be enough, Thailand needs more long term help.

Scholars of Sustenance, one of the most important Food Charity in Thailand, is sending an S-O-S to the Thai People to participate and support their actions. Every baht counts in the fight against food insecurity. Each rescued meal-equivalent represents a cost of just 5 baht to collect and deliver. That means that every 450 Baht, $13, you feed a child or its’ mother for a month! Be someone’s hero today and give at https://www.weeboon.com/en/campaign/sosfoodrescue

IMG-20200425-WA0013_2.jpg

This funding will be used to expand SOSs’ capabilities during COVID-19’s exceptional time. Specifically, the areas that the company will focus on are:

• [Area of focus #1] Collect food from new donors like farmers and manufacturers
  • [Area of focus #2] Distribute at least 100,000 meals to people in need during
  • [Area of focus #3] Buy protective gears for our workers and volunteers

About Scholars of Sustenance:

Established in 2012 in Thailand and in 2016 in Indonesia, SOS is an international food rescue foundation with operations in Thailand and Indonesia. They collect edible food surplus in supermarkets and restaurants that otherwise would end up in landfills and redistribute it to communities in need, such as homeless shelters, orphanages and more. Some SOS (Bangkok and Phuket) accomplishments to date: 3.9 million meals served, 995 tons of food saved, and 1,890.5 tons of CO2 reduced. For more information, please visit www.scholarsofsustenance.org or send you inquiry to [email protected].

-- Scholars of Sustenance Foundation 2020 05-20

Considering the fertile land and tropical weather with relatively not excessively huge population, their living condition should be significantly better than that. There exists some fundamental problem in this nation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

No good to send an SOS to the General population They are in Trouble just the same as the Poor.People been losing jobs everywhere . The SOS has to go the GENERAL in the Top Office . He's got the Money Make him part with it .He's hiding the money and asking the Super rich to Help him/Maybe he spend the money already. Something wrong here for sure .  ????  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, digger70 said:

The SOS has to go the GENERAL in the Top Office . He's got the Money Make him part with it .He's hiding the money and asking the Super rich to Help him

I agree

it's also good to remember the super rich have refused to help.

In a country like Thailand (The most inegalitary country in the world)

where 1% richest thais (500 000 people) own 67% of the country's wealth

i think the SOS need to be adressed in priority to these 500 000 people. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I agree

it's also good to remember the super rich have refused to help.

In a country like Thailand (The most inegalitary country in the world)

where 1% richest thais (500 000 people) own 67% of the country's wealth

i think the SOS need to be adressed in priority to these 500 000 people. 

Thailand's top business leaders are ready to help the government ease the crunch of the coronavirus crisis, and plan to offer their ideas to lift the country out of the economic quagmire.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha sent an open letter to ask the business leaders how they have helped their employees, insisting the government was not trying to borrow money from them.

"I want to thank all the 20 business leaders. I only wrote to ask if they will do anything in addition to the government's measures so we can work together in sync," Prayut said.

Suphachai Chearavanont, chief executive of Charoen Pokphand (CP) Group, said the prime minister's letter was a smart idea.

"Each of the businesses is like one ministry. They are from the real sector and they are running their own micro economy. If they work under the government, the prime minister will automatically have twenty more ministries working for the administration," Mr Suphachai said

CP is one of the prime minister's targets as the Chearavanont brothers retained the No.1 spot with a net worth of US$27.3 billion, or about 888 billion baht, in Forbes' Thailand's 50 Richest 2020.

Harald Link, chairman of B.Grimm who ranks 12th with $2.3 billion, said he received the letter from the prime minister who asked for a response this week, and that he will do so.

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Thailand's top business leaders are ready to help the government ease the crunch of the coronavirus crisis, and plan to offer their ideas to lift the country out of the economic quagmire

Good, they help offering ideas

can the Thais in need put these ideas on the table everyday and eat them?

i don't think so

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retarded said:

Considering the fertile land and tropical weather with relatively not excessively huge population, their living condition should be significantly better than that. There exists some fundamental problem in this nation.

You may not have known this but for food to be grown it needs sunshine, air and water. Sunshine and air is not a problem but there is a drought affecting large areas of Central, North and North East Thailand.

Whilst the rainy season has officially arrived, nature does not follow the human calender thus the rain has not really started properly yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

As the government is less than forthcoming... it seems more worried about bailing out the national carrier than it's population who are out of work and starving.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Delighted and honored, as a foreigner living here, to be able to help and contribute to these kind, polite and accepting people, with their masked smiles, who are needy and also to the hero's who are giving and taking their time to organize and distribute food, to those unfortunate to not have the means to feed themselves for now. No doubt in time, they will find ways to take care of themselves. Life is so short, giving is healing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

I've been reluctant to give to any charity in Thailand as I am convinced most of the funds to go into some corrupt <deleted>'s pockets.

I am reluctant too, and not only in Thailand, to give any money

i can give my time. i can give food or items, but i never give money

you are never sure where, by who and for what your money is used

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Good, they help offering ideas

can the Thais in need put these ideas on the table everyday and eat them?

i don't think so

Most likely Not ,That's why the PM has to pull his finger out and get Busy Handing out CASH. 

• Like 2