Foreigners in Bangsaen Beach, Thailand

Don Graham

Good day to all, I am here today to ask for your help. I am from the USA. I am a US National. I have lived in Bang Sean City, Chon Bari for the past ten years. I have developed an interest in finding people from the west that live around me. The area I live in is 99% Thai and I do not speak Thai. Which is OK because I have been a loner most of my life. I would like all that to change, but I need help in finding where Falungs live and play and hang out around here? I am looking for normal people not Bar hoppers. I am looking for guys that like to play Golf, go bowling, Barbara q in the back yard, Play cards, Have hobbies like wood work, or just get together and drinks some beers and talk <deleted>. You know normal stuff. I am thinking that there might be some condos or housing developments around me that k-ter to Falungs. Yes, yes I know there are lot of Westerners live in Pattaya. The problem is I live 50kl north of pattaya. There must be some kind of get to gathers (clubs) etc that one could meet English speakers here in Bang Sean, Chon Bari.

• Like 1

Oh aye, bit of Barbara q is it? Nudge nudge.

Anyway ,what;s wrong with people that hop bars? They're normal, aren't they.

But nice that you're branching out as many folk stay trapped in their world forever. Learning some Thai, however, would make a difference.

Good luck.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

10 years in Thailand, with 99% Thais around you, and you don't speak Thai.

Why do you live in Thailand? Why do you live in that area of Thailand? And why did you never learn Thai?

Or how do you function? How do you buy charcoal for the Barbara-q? How can you argue with the woman at the DLT when she tells you that you must have a WP to register a bike in your name? 

I have a mate who’s been here 10 years, on his own for part of it, who could only point, which meant that he could only order the food that he could see. Weird.

I wish the OP all the best.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

Used to live in Chonburi 10 years ago and enjoyed it. There were lots of farang communities and small restaurants on Bang Sean. Went there last year and really aimed to go to one of those bars, have beer and speak English.

At my surprise all of those restaurants and farangs disappeared from there. Not a single of them could be found.

I somehow met an American older expat and we had 3 beers and really enjoyed the talk. Decent guy.

There is something in Chonburi I enjoy. Maybe just memories.

I plan to go there soon. Drop me a message here in forum and I will let you know in advance when I will be coming and we may have a cup of coffee in Bangsean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

10 years in Thailand, with 99% Thais around you, and you don't speak Thai.

Why do you live in Thailand? Why do you live in that area of Thailand? And why did you never learn Thai?

Hey I resemble that remark.

• Haha 2

Speaking Thais a weird topic. I can after 27 years but dont very much now. You tend to attract Thais who want to better their English, they are nice to converse with.. Plus in the first few years you babble like a fool showing off what bit you learnt. When You Dream in Thai Language you got it.

Recom, Hmmm! I never said I spent the last ten years living alone. I consider myself a smart guy but when it comes to learning Thai I have some kind of metal block. When I first moved to Thailand. I was to young to get a retirement Visa so I stayed on a Education Visa for a couple of years. I attended class twice a week but just could not retain the information. As for how do I get things done without speaking Thai. Google Translate works for me and most Thai's. Like most Falungs I moved here for the girls and stayed because I like this County because they let me live here and stay out of my bis-ness un-like the US Gov. It is Called FREEDOM my good man.

• Like 2

I lived in Bangsean for nearly 2 years about 3 years ago,... my Thai wife and I rented a huge house in Royal Sammuk (not the Villa).  We've since moved to Rayong in large part to get away from the crowds from Bangkok that flood the beaches and clog the roads every weekend. 

Its not easy finding fellow Americans or any western farlangs in Chun Buri.  My advice is to spend some time wandering around "Bangsean Walking Street",...I met several Americans there while shopping for food.  I also agree with those recommending "Pooky & Erik" as a good place to find farlangs, and they serve a great cheeseburger.     

I don't get up to Bangsean very often anymore but I do make the trip when I need to do a little tool shopping or buy some metal stock to support my hobbies.   I too am an American, most recently from Silicon Valley, whom also recently turned 70, so PM me if you want to carry on a conversation.