Experts eyed to write up a rehab plan for THAI

webfact

Experts eyed to write up a rehab plan for THAI

By THE NATION

800_2216e9a3577999f.jpg?v=1589897787

Saksayam Chidchob, right

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob will next week present Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha a list of 15 persons who will jointly draw up a rehabilitation plan in line with the Bankruptcy Law for Thai Airways International (THAI).

This follows the Cabinet’s approval on Tuesday (May 19) of a proposal that the debt-ridden national carrier enter a bankruptcy court-supervised rehab process. The Cabinet also approved that the Finance Ministry reduce its stake in THAI to less than 50 per cent, which make the airline lose its state-enterprise status.

At the Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, the Transport Ministry proposed three options for the Cabinet to choose in tackling THAI’s financial distress, including the choice of entering the rehab process under Bankruptcy Law. The other two options were for the Finance Ministry to take a Bt54 billion loan to help THAI or to let the airline go bankrupt.

The minister said the decision to make the airline enter a court-supervised rehab process will assure the creditors that THAI will come back stronger after the rehabilitation is completed.

The Transport Ministry is tasked with appointing a panel to draw up the rehab plan, which will be forwarded to the court. If the court approves this plan, the shareholders will have to come together to give it the green light.

Saksayam said he will appoint the panel this week and propose the names of at least 15 members to the premier next week. He added that he has already approached some people who have a background in the aviation industry.

He added that THAI has to file for bankruptcy in both Thailand and US, because up to 35 per cent of its total debt is owed to foreign creditors. He added that most of the debt involves the leasing of aircraft.

THAI will seek financial and legal advisers to proceed with filing for its rehab process in Thai and American courts, he said, adding that he is confident the rehab plan will be completed by next month and THAI can begin working on recovery.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30388142

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-20

54 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I wonder who these people will be?

Let me see...

Prayut's cousin

Prayuts sister-in law

Prawit's nephew

Saksayam's uncle

etc etc.

How come you missed his brother and brother's wife? 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well..they've tried the generals..

Then they tried the lieut-colonels,majors and captains-with the odd squadron leader chucked in for good measure.

Perhaps it's time to try the corporals.

Why not!

• Haha 1

Thai will lose state enterprise status....yet the transport department is responsible for the rehab plan...makes perfect sense...then this:

"will assure the creditors that THAI will come back stronger after the rehabilitation is completed.".What a gem....what could possibly go wrong?

All debts are frozen (read written off).....new funding will be found, and the gravy train will depart the station....

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Let me see...

Prayut's cousin

Prayuts sister-in law

Prawit's nephew

Saksayam's uncle

etc etc.

You forgot Anutin. Then it will be the greatest comedy of all times.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Let me see...

Prayut's cousin

Prayuts sister-in law

Prawit's nephew

Saksayam's uncle

etc etc.

It will certainly be more numbnuts, rather than real experts that it is for sure!!!????????????????????????????????

Saksayam Chidchob might know a lot about Buriram or how to run/manipulate politics, running an airline or appointing professional experts is not one of his chores. 

To appoint experts you have to be an expert yourself and that starts with admitting, why this airline is going down the drain. Thai would have gone belly up with or without the covid-19 story; latter came in very handy as a lame excuse. Thai is a private company stock listed and shares are presently majority owned by the Thai government. Without public outcry, the boys would have poured another B 50 billion into this bottomless pit - until that money would have been used up, stolen, corrupted or evaporated into thin air - and next year more money would have followed. 

Close the shop, send the staff home, auction off the assets (I can think of a few fairly rich people in the land going for it) and then the staff can re-apply, possibly this time stating a reason why they should be hired. Checks and balances to be put into place. Everything else is day dreaming; Saksayam Chidchob might also be advised to simply forget offloading 100 second-hand aircraft into an oversaturated market where presently some 8'000 planes are being grounded indefinitely. 

As the government now has to reduce its stake below 50% of the shares I honestly wonder, who is buying TG shares now (to meet that criteria) well knowing that the present PLC is heading for the dungeon ........ but then, who am I and what do I know? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed. About one year ago (before all this virus lark) I wrote a post in reply to THAI'S financial losses, stating that a CEO with International Aviation Management expertise should be appointed. I was "shot down in flames" by a Thai blogger who stated that the airline was for Thais and only to be managed by Thais! My reply was "May God help you". THAI is (now was) a State Enterprise and as such all the employees regarded themselves as "unsackable" civil servants, hence the gross over-manning and inefficiencies. I now feel quite vindicated with my original comments but no doubt someone will still quote "THAI for Thais"!!

I think we all know exactly where Thai 'Management' leads and slowly but surely they are destroying everything they touch.   Of course; when the country becomes the poorest relation in Asia they will be quick to tell the World... 'It's not our fault' !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

At the Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, the Transport Ministry proposed three options for the Cabinet to choose in tackling THAI’s financial distress, including the choice of entering the rehab process under Bankruptcy Law. The other two options were for the Finance Ministry to take a Bt54 billion loan to help THAI or to let the airline go bankrupt.

The later option sounds more appropriate, that or bring in outside experts who know how to turn around ailing airlines without interference from government or influential people.

• Like 2

I believe the fate of the airline is a mirror to how the country will perform with so many plundering the public purse and with tourism down and likely to be down for some time.

There would be no time like to present to have the enthusiasm and entrepreneurial skill of some one like Thanathorn. Sadly banished by the dinosaurs so busily engineering their own extinction. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The later option sounds more appropriate, that or bring in outside experts who know how to turn around ailing airlines without interference from government or influential people.

Go bankrupt... yes but won't happen, ever, too much loss of face, and a good chance very powerful folks can and would block bankruptcy to preserve their benefits.  So sad...

• Like 2