Leaving window open on BTS trains unfeasible

snoop1130

Leaving window open on BTS trains unfeasible

By The Nation

800_3a37671499ce21f.jpg

The Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS) announced on Thursday (May 28) that leaving a window open in its trains is not feasible, because it will only let the hot air in and overwork the air-conditioning system.

It had initially been suggested that a window be left open in all BTS trains to circulate air in order to curb the spread of Covid-19. However, an experiment found that leaving a window open did not help with the ventilation and instead created heat within the train carriages.

Officials said that enough air is circulated when the train doors open to pick up or drop off passengers and rides between stations take no more than two or three minutes.

They also said that leaving a window open will inconvenience passengers now that the rainy season has arrived.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388669

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-28

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

It had initially been suggested that a window be left open in all BTS trains to circulate air in order to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Just when you think you've heard all the dumb suggestions out comes another .

On 5/28/2020 at 4:04 AM, snoop1130 said:

leaving a window open did not help with the ventilation and instead created heat within the train carriages.

Well , would you believe it. I mean, who would possibly have thought that !

I was thinking of opening all the doors and windows to our house to improve ventilation while our solitary air condition is on. I've learnt something today. Thank you BTS and thank you Thailand for sharing the results of your findings. Great guys one and all.

Turn off AC and open windows. 

This isn't about comfort but about spread of a highly airborne disease.

Rain is more an issue on BTS when train slows and stops, ie., at stations where rain typically soaks waiting passengers on platform anyways. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

It had initially been suggested that a window be left open in all BTS trains to circulate air in order to curb the spread of Covid-19.

What a hair brain idea and even worse to suggest. Interesting they didn't 'credit' anyone with the suggestion. (Did it come from a reporter, maybe?) 

40 minutes ago, phkauf said:

The level of sheer stupidity at the government is astonishing. 

I seriously think the suggestion came from a reporter, which is why no one is tagged. The article was probably written to try and throw shade on the government.

On 5/29/2020 at 12:43 PM, phkauf said:

I will save these knuckleheads the trouble: when the Navy buys those submarines, can't open the windows on them either.

The level of sheer stupidity at the government is astonishing. 

Where did it say that the government suggested leaving BTS windows open?