Precaution the key as fighting Covid-19 a marathon battle, says medic

rooster59

Precaution the key as fighting Covid-19 a marathon battle, says medic

By THE NATION

800_5be18ffcf9f6c6c.jpg

Yong Poovorawan

The Covid-19 outbreak would take a long time to be contained, and citizens must be careful when the lockdown is relaxed, especially with the rainy season arriving soon, Dr Yong Poovorawan, an expert virologist, posted on his Facebook page on Saturday (May 30).

The doctor said that numerous people are worried about the Covid-19 risk in the rainy season, as well as the risk of influenza. Moreover, schools across the nation will reopen during the season, and respiratory diseases would spread from big cities to smaller ones.

He urged Thai people to strictly follow the virus prevention measures, especially when the lockdown is being relaxed phase by phase.

“We must not be careless since it is still spreading in several Asian countries, such as India and Bangladesh,” he said.

“As I have mentioned, we are running a marathon, not just a hundred metres sprint competition,” he said. “The relaxion is necessary as a way to get us running to our goal.”

The doctor said that the possibility of a second wave of the virus outbreak depends on people’s collaboration. “The next phase would be more severe than what we have passed through,” he warned.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388799

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-31

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Bringing influenza into the equation now, which comes in various forms every year.

Good excuse to use the lockdown measures/curfew etc annually to keep control and tracking of the population.

just further damages his credibility 

• Thanks 1

Is there a real flu season per se in Thailand? I had two distinct cases of flu over the winter here in Bangkok. First one in mid December could have been Covid in disguise since on the 6th I had just come back from 3 weeks in the area around Cologne Germany where there were Chinese tourists all around (and had massage in a Chinese parlor). The second at the end of January was called a common flu by a doctor I went to for a note "unfit to fly" so I could apply for some travel insurance because it caused me to cancel a flight to India. Aways seemed to me that one could catch a flu-type cold any time of year here.

I am beginning to think there might a bit of ego involved with the continuing "pandemic". 

There seems to be an endless supply of "nobodies" suddenly capturing the limelight as "somebodies". 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Since we all need to be so careful, it looks like we are all doomed then, right? 

There is this little thing called reality. People need to start paying much closer attention to it. 

What reality are you referring to?

2 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

The good doctor will now take on the common cold. Maybe better to recognize the common COVID-19; although, one can hope CV19 will go the same way as SARS (1) and MERS.

Both had very different infection properties. It can't be exactly the same. Please stop spreading blatant misinformation. 

Thailand isn't an island. 

While the virus is clearly under a good level of control here it is still raging in much of the world.

There is still no effective treatment or vaccine. 

Testing in Thailand has been very limited so it's not logical to see official numbers as reflecting actual reality. Not blaming. Just pointing out the obvious. 

It's way too early for Thailand to let its guard down. 

On 5/31/2020 at 9:15 AM, Enzian said:

Is there a real flu season per se in Thailand?

Flu season is the rainy season. Starting May/June, just like Dr Yong said. 

Flu vaccination in Thailand is given this time,  after the school holidays.

3 minutes ago, poskat said:

the outbreak has been controlled in thailand for 6 weeks

Yes its looking good for now but we would know much more if Thailand had done massive testing. 

But anyway Thailand is opening up in very rational step by step changes. 

But there is no excuse for the public to let their guard down yet. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes its looking good for now but we would know much more if Thailand had done massive testing. 

But anyway Thailand is opening up in very rational step by step changes. 

But there is no excuse for the public to let their guard down yet. 

There is also no excuse to keep pestering people wiith all this second wave bs

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

There is also no excuse to keep pestering people wiith all this second wave bs

No. 

There is no excuse for being blind to the history of massively infectious pandemics. 

The world is bigger than Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2020 at 6:55 AM, Thaiwrath said:

Bringing influenza into the equation now, which comes in various forms every year.

Good excuse to use the lockdown measures/curfew etc annually to keep control and tracking of the population.

Yeah, its very important to control all those Adolf Hitlers that check in at 7-11! ????

Fortunately things are more organic, natural and actually more sane here than in the West now... Which says a lot!

On 6/1/2020 at 11:06 AM, AgMech Cowboy said:

The good doctor will now take on the common cold. Maybe better to recognize the common COVID-19; although, one can hope CV19 will go the same way as SARS (1) and MERS.

Or it might go the same way as Spanish Flu, ie, mutate and come back deadlier than the first wave.

On 6/1/2020 at 7:18 AM, Bkk Brian said:

What reality are you referring to?

The one where people die from the pandemic denial that supposedly isn’t happening. And before you garble on about how there’s not many deaths here think about WHY maybe because of the stringent measures undertaken and continue to be enforced by Thai authorities that’s interrupting your very important lifestyle stop complaining and roll with it eventually it will be gone.

• Confused 2

32 minutes ago, Silent Number said:

The one where people die from the pandemic denial that supposedly isn’t happening. And before you garble on about how there’s not many deaths here think about WHY maybe because of the stringent measures undertaken and continue to be enforced by Thai authorities that’s interrupting your very important lifestyle stop complaining and roll with it eventually it will be gone.

Sorry BKK Brian which part is confusing you. The part after The one ?

23 minutes ago, Silent Number said:

Sorry BKK Brian which part is confusing you. The part after The one ?

Maybe the part where you assume I'm denying the pandemic, or the part where you assume I'm going to garble on about there not being many deaths here, or the part where you assume I'm not aware of the stringent measures that help to control a pandemic, or the part where you assume that I'm complaining about it interrupting my lifestyle.

If you'd like my actual views then best to ask really, hence my confusion...........