What happens if a farang retiree dies in Thailand ?

thairookie

Depends on the retiree,. Being retired you would like to think a will and instructions were left behind in the case of death. who to contact blah blah / person of death embassy would also be notified. Who’s job would be to contact the persons relatives as majority of people have written in there passport at the back 2 persons to contact in the event of death. 

11 minutes ago, Steve Vincent said:

Depends on the retiree,. Being retired you would like to think a will and instructions were left behind in the case of death. who to contact blah blah / person of death embassy would also be notified. Who’s job would be to contact the persons relatives as majority of people have written in there passport at the back 2 persons to contact in the event of death. 

You would think that should be the case...

In reality many of the people who die here have (almost) no contact anymore to their family back home. And somehow many seem to think everything will be sorted automatically.

Many also seem to think their Thai girlfriend will decide what to do. Wrong!

• Like 2

What happens if a farang retiree dies in Thailand ?

He or she is dead. 

What happens with the dead body and the fortune? 

Up to him or her - if he or she made a last will before.

• Like 1

The cost of embalming, casket and repatriation flight of a corpse so excessive most would choose

cremation over "body sent back home". Cremation is forbidden in Islam and I think Judaism but 

in Islam it must be done quickly so a local burial would be proper. 

Just get a will.

Edited by Captain Monday

1 hour ago, noise said:

This is what happened in the cases I have been involved in but I would modify it just a little bit.  The embassies are notified and they will try to fine the NEXT OF KIN.  It is the next of kin rather than just family members who make the arrangements.  In cases where the expat is married to a Thai, the surviving spouse is the next of kin and responsible for making any and all arrangements.  There have been cases when the next of kin in the U.S. has formally authorized through the Embassy the girl friend to act for them as she see fit.

Thanks for the clarification. I agree.

Maybe some farangs here should be aware that if they are not married then their next of kin (often back home) will decide alone what will happen. The Thai girlfriend has officially nothing to say. So if a farang wants that there is a cremation and a "party" for his girlfriend and friends then he should put that in writing.

I know that many relatives from back home chose often the cheapest existing option. Cremation, no special ceremony, get rid of the ashes and that's it. And often they don't care if there is a Thai girlfriend or not.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, noise said:

// The embassies are notified and they will try to fine the NEXT OF KIN.  It is the next of kin rather than just family members who make the arrangements.  In cases where the expat is married to a Thai, the surviving spouse is the next of kin and responsible for making any and all arrangements. //

Good post, but be aware that rules may be a little bit different depending of your country. Good to have a read on your embassy or consulate website IMHO.

• Like 1