Rhodes Must Fall - Oxford protesters target statue of colonialist

webfact

16 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I suppose if we are not allowed to remove statues because "Its part of history" we better dig out Jimmy Savile's old sculpture and stick it back on the plinth.

Where was his sculpture located ?

Considering that there are still people alive that were victims of Saville , I dont think that it would be a good idea to bring his statue back 

Edited by CorpusChristie

5 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Where was his sculpture located ?

Considering that there are still people alive that were victims of Saville , I dont think that it would be a good idea to bring his statue back 

I absolutely agree that putting his statue back would be wrong and offensive to many people. Just like putting back that statue of Colston would be.

But there are some on here who insist we should because its part of British history.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I absolutely agree that putting his statue back would be wrong and offensive to many people. Just like putting back that statue of Colston would be.

But there are some on here who insist we should because its part of British history.

Saville was a pedophile though, I dont think that Colston was, was he ?

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Saville was a pedophile though, I dont think that Colston was, was he ?

I think that even though both were philanthropists they were also thoroughly vile people.

They are also part of the UK's history.

So if some are going to argue that Colstons statue should go back up for that reason then surely Saviles should go back up too.

We wouldnt want any double standards now would we?  

• Like 2

Just now, Rookiescot said:

I cannot obviously speak for everyone but surely the most salient point here is the way that they are being removed, in a democracy it is not up to the mob to decide what should be on display and what it should hidden, it must be up to all of us to decide or the council. What offends you may not offend me and vice versa and as Ricky Gervais said "being offended doesn't mean you are right"

At the end of the day they are comitting a crime, it cannot go on like this forever, the police cannot go on forever appeasing 'the mob'

The poll below shows that most people were in favour of the statue being removed but were totally againgst on how it was removed.IMG_20200609_150851.jpg.e86bba633a1743158391121034e538a3.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vogie said:

I cannot obviously speak for everyone but surely the most salient point here is the way that they are being removed, in a democracy it is not up to the mob to decide what should be on display and what it should hidden, it must be up to all of us to decide or the council. What offends you may not offend me and vice versa and as Ricky Gervais said "being offended doesn't mean you are right"

At the end of the day they are comitting a crime, it cannot go on like this forever, the police cannot go on forever appeasing 'the mob'

The poll below shows that most people were in favour of the statue being removed but were totally againgst on how it was removed.IMG_20200609_150851.jpg.e86bba633a1743158391121034e538a3.jpg

For once we agree.

However I am arguing that given it is already down it should not be put back.

I chose the Jimmy Savile statue as an example because it is something we can all relate to. I suspect all of us would be ready to topple that if it ever got put back up. 

Those people who dragged down Colstons statue feel the same way about that guy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A statue of Baden Powell is to be removed from Bournemouth seafront, my guess is there will soon be a call for all ex-scouts to be rounded up and sent to re-education camps, a nasty business, the brownies will surely be next....can we still call them that?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8409331/Statue-Scouts-founder-Lord-Baden-Powell-REMOVED-seafront.html

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I think that even though both were philanthropists they were also thoroughly vile people.

They are also part of the UK's history.

So if some are going to argue that Colstons statue should go back up for that reason then surely Saviles should go back up too.

We wouldnt want any double standards now would we?  

Fair enough, put both statues back up .

Start you campaign to get Savilles statue put back up 

12 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

For once we agree.

I chose the Jimmy Savile statue as an example because it is something we can all relate to. I suspect all of us would be ready to topple that if it ever got put back up. 

But at the end of the day they broke the law, you cannot pull down everything you find offensive, if that was the case I would have got rid of Old Trafford years ago, imagine telling the Thais 'I'm sorry you're going to have to get rid of durian, I don't like the smell' the minority cannot dictate to the majority, that is not how a democracy works.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

But at the end of the day they broke the law, you cannot pull down everything you find offensive, if that was the case I would have got rid of Old Trafford years ago, imagine telling the Thais 'I'm sorry you're going to have to get rid of durian, I don't like the smell' the minority cannot dictate to the majority, that is not how a democracy works.

I am not condoning how the statue was removed.

I am saying it should not go back up.

And we should have a wider debate on other statues around the country which might need removing and if its decided they need to go then it can be done legally.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

For once we agree.

If there was no Internet they wouldn't even know who the Colstons were.........Bwaaaaaah....So funny, so funny.......????

10 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Fair enough, put both statues back up .

Start you campaign to get Savilles statue put back up 

Not one for leading campaigns myself.

Oh I know. Maybe we could get Nigel Farrage to lead it. Hes been looking around for something to make him relevant again.

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Not one for leading campaigns myself.

Oh I know. Maybe we could get Nigel Farrage to lead it. Hes been looking around for something to make him relevant again.

Contact him and ask him and make the request to get Jimmy Savilles statue put back up

22 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

For once we agree.

Jimmy Savile broke the law

Coulston didnt break the law .

Those who removed his statue broke the law .

Colston broke no laws

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

For once we agree.

It’s not being put back. It’s being dragged up and put in a museum with a Black Lives Matter plaque alongside to explain why it’s there. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Actually, that is precisely the reason the statue MUST be put back up.  It is an object lesson for the noisy minority that simply throwing a public tantrum will NOT get them what they want. Put it back up and debate the issue properly. The rule of law and civilization is far more important than the temporary rush that comes from being edgy.

So Jimmy Saviles statue needs to go back up till we have a referendum about it and decide its a bad thing and take it back down?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

In all honesty I don't give two hoots about inaminate objects but when we get yobbos (because that's all they are) trying to desecrate the cenotaph, to me and I suspect many others that is beyond the pale and just proves that this is not about BLM, it has become/becoming total anarchy and a possible attempt to topple our government, the left have had many attempts to get voted into power and failed miserably every time, maybe a revolution is the way to go.

The clowns attacking the cenotaph are exactly that. Clowns. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

It’s not being put back. It’s being dragged up and put in a museum with a Black Lives Matter plaque alongside to explain why it’s there. 

But there are some on here arguing that it should be put back.

They will have their own personal reasons for demanding such a thing but I would not wish to speculate as to why.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

But there are some on here arguing that it should be put back.

They will have their own personal reasons for demanding such a thing but I would not wish to speculate as to why.

Edward Colston statue pulled out of Bristol Harbour https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53004748

Argue all they like but for now it’s Museum time. 

Edited by Kadilo

Just now, Rookiescot said:

So Jimmy Saviles statue needs to go back up till we have a referendum about it and decide its a bad thing and take it back down?

Before we enter the realms of fantasy, was the Saville monument removed by the proper authorities or was it pulled down by the 'we know best mob' I remember a road in Scarborough being named after Saville, as soon as the revelations surfaced it was quickly removed and renamed. 

• Like 1

I see activists have hacked the Robertsons IT systems and obtained a list of anyone who ever received a golliwog badge, if this was you perhaps consider changing your identity or moving overseas perhaps.

EDIT FOR THE YOUNGER CROWD! 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/man-tried-sell-golly-badge-9892915

Edited by Trillian
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Before we enter the realms of fantasy, was the Saville monument removed by the proper authorities or was it pulled down by the 'we know best mob' I remember a road in Scarborough being named after Saville, as soon as the revelations surfaced it was quickly removed and renamed. 

Indeed it was removed by the council.

Thats because it was the right thing to do and if it was not removed would have been defaced and toppled. 

People have been complaining about some statues for years and yet they remain in place.

If the council had done the right thing and removed Colstons statue after people had complained about it then none of this unpleasantness would have happened. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I agree. I had to look up who this Savile guy is, seems like he was a perv. Anyway, was his statue removed by some form of legitimate and reasoned process?  If so that's a far cry from a howling mob acting violent in the public square. 

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Pretty much, yeah.  If it was in a public place (don't know much about it) then there needs to be some form of a legitimate process to remove it. If it were on private property, then the property owner can do what they like.  The point is that letting the mob get their way is never a good idea. It only encourages them to do more. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Pretty much, yeah.  If it was in a public place (don't know much about it) then there needs to be some form of a legitimate process to remove it. If it were on private property, then the property owner can do what they like.  The point is that letting the mob get their way is never a good idea. It only encourages them to do more. 

You want Savile's statue put back up?

Seriously?

• Confused 1