Why do you continue to live in Thailand

4MyEgo

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

To answer your questions honestly, I thought I did do my homework on life here, perhaps I did view the country as a tourist, even though I would spend time in the village, a month or two, some time 3 times a year, but with a break in Phuket. The serenity of the village was just great, the greenery, and being away from the hustle and bustle, but a few things I didn't take into consideration were the constant blackouts, the smoke being as bad as it is and other things, suppose I was a little naive if you like and did think that I could handle the change, but the weather I think has finally gotten the better of me, even with air conditioners, to go for a walk would be to get burnt ????

I don't feel embarrassed to say I made a mistake at all, I made a mistake, there you have it from the horses mouth so to speak, but I don't think I would be the first, and don't feel that I am putting the onus on others to run back home, everyone has their own choices. I was just asking the question, as the topic asks: Why do you continue to live in Thailand, not suggesting for anyone to leave or that pastures are greener on the other side, if you take my post another way, you shouldn't, I was just mearley asking a question, to compare, a bit of chit chat, gossip, something one does, perhaps that is too deep for you and you see it as me having a go at those of you who choose to remain, but that's not the way it is intended, so please chill......perhaps your a little sensitive on the topic ?

When I do return, I can assure you I won't be posting how good or bad it is, or if I made another mistake, as this forum is for life in Thailand I believe, and if I make the mistake by returning, well such is life, we don't know if we don't try, and I did try it here, but it is not for me, at least I know what I am going to back in Sydney, although I believe it will be different this time around as I won't be working as I was before, so maybe I might have the time to enjoy it as I had the time here.

Perhaps I am a little sensitive on the subject, but those who know me would be surprised at that description!

I fully accept that this place, and it's many drawbacks, can become too much for some, and an escape back to structured normality is the best course for them. I wish them luck in their choices. What I get tired of is that so many returnees think that those who remain, in the face of the barrage of imposition, must have something wrong with them.

Sorry, but I don't accept you were merely asking the question for a bit of "chit chat".  I consider that to ask others "why they continue to live in Thailand" definitely implies that those who don't follow your path are foolish.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps I am a little sensitive on the subject, but those who know me would be surprised at that description!

I fully accept that this place, and it's many drawbacks, can become too much for some, and an escape back to structured normality is the best course for them. I wish them luck in their choices. What I get tired of is that so many returnees think that those who remain, in the face of the barrage of imposition, must have something wrong with them.

Sorry, but I don't accept you were merely asking the question for a bit of "chit chat".  I consider that to ask others "why they continue to live in Thailand" definitely implies that those who don't follow your path are foolish.

Good luck.

I can understand what you are saying, but only accept what your saying up to a degree, i.e. you not accepting me merely asking the question for a bit of "chit chat" in case you didn't notice there have been some good replies, 9 pages worth, if that's not "chit chat", e.g. farangs liking my post or responding with their versions on life and why they choose to remain living here, then I don't know what your on about.

Foolish I am not, you said; perhaps you are a little sensitive on the subject, so I will leave it at that and also wish you luck in remaining in Thailand, like I said, it is for some, and it is not for others, we each make our beds, and I don't wish for others to follow me as you are implying, I mean what would I accomplish from that, squat, zero, nothing ????

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, johnray said:

It's cheaper, safer and easy than living in England.  The weather is amazing as well.  A summer day everyday.  It's a nice base to travel around Asia as well.

Cheaper in Some respects. i pay a fortune on imported quality Food.

I’ve been asking myself that question for the last few months as my wife got stuck in the U.K. when Thailand stopped all flights if things don’t change pretty soon I will pull the shutters down on our property and go back to the UK there is more to life than living in a concrete block on your own. Ive even got frustrated with the cat been trying to teach her different board games for the last few months and all she does is clear the board with one swoop of her paw ☹️☹️☹️

Edited by crazykopite
  • Like 1

Simple living--Cheap apt--variety of cheap eats--can afford a doctor--all expensive back in the states..

So If anyone could go anywhere in the world for the same cost of living or less with decent wifi access

Where would that place be...Im a free agent...Nothing keeping me locked down here, but if you give a location why is it better the LOS.........always up for a backup spot to try simple living....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

After reading a few of these threads, it looks like most left in Thailand are from UK or US. Given the state they are in, perhaps Thailand is better. For Europeans though (After brexit the islands are just that, eh?), it seems to have been a full exodus.

That's a very good point, I lived in both the UK and Germany. I found the UK to be much worse, far more petty crime, vandalism, etc, the housing was a lot worse, the health care, and the food as well. So if I were just from the UK it's much easier to decide on Thailand. However, with Germany, fantastic housing quality, excellent food, good health care, less vandals, so it was basically just the boredom there that got me out. It really does depend where you're from.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, domdom said:

It is not perfect here.. but cannot imagine going back to Europe with all what is going on there for years and getting worse every year (crimes, immigrants, robberies etc.. etc..)

I do feel much safer here in Thailand than anywhere else actually. That's another plus for Thailand, no vandalism, petty crime etc.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

Can you suggest where might be please.

Well there is many reasons to move back to a country with better social vealthcare, and where you still have your family, relatives, friends and your hearth. For othersnthat could be something different! 

Just an example it is when ambulances get stuck in traffic, here and nobody <deleted> moves away. 2. Is the heat here when get old, 3. I might get medical help to dye when time is up, and that will happen in few years in most civilized countries. 

But who cares we all gona die, so it might be anywhere, and hopefully die before sick and useless to my self. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, newnative said:

I read your list of negatives and they all seem pretty trivial.  Pattaya Beach, by the way, is quite nice now and clean. (You live in Issan and have lousy beaches as one of your complaints?  Reaching.)  If one is happy with one's life and where one is living, I think all those little annoyances you managed to come up with would be just that--little annoyances.  If one isn't happy, then the little annoyances become gigantic irritants eating at you (those lousy beaches, how can I live here!)--and maybe a move to somewhere else is just the right thing.  I hope you will be happier wherever you land. 

I continue to enjoy living here with my Thai partner in Pattaya, with a Bangkok getaway condo.  I certainly couldn't afford to have two residences back in the US--but Thailand is great with a low cost of living that allows us to live very well.  I love the year-round nice weather and being active 12 months of the year rather than retreating indoors during the winter months like I used to do.  Good health care and a safe environment are also pluses.  Love my ocean and beach view--likely out of my price range in the US for something comparable.  Pattaya has all we need to live a similar lifestyle to what we had in the US--but cheaper.  

Some people find beauty and positivity where they live, where they come from orign, and where they go, spme others do not see the same ore know what it is! 

It is a piece of art to manage to thrive in the moment, and at once the moment is gone create your own art and thrive, or move on

• Like 1

i  continue to grow here, something i could not do in the States.  i have also found purpose here through my charity work.  love Asia and Thailand is at the center of many interesting countries.  i studied Pacific Asian culture at Uni, so this works for me.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 2

Because I hate the thought of going back to the daily grind in the UK. While I love going back to the UK for a holiday, seeing the family and going to the countryside, living there is a different story. It's mostly cold, work is exhausting, things are expensive and people are not nice anymore. I can't help but appreciate the eye candy in Thailand either, even though I'm happily married; in comparison, the UK is full of heifers with attitude.

• Haha 1

I continue to live here because I and my wife owned some land 40km north of Chiang Mai and we wanted to take care of her ailing father so we built a house on the land. Now that he has passed, we can not sell the house without taking a severe loss. If we could get a price even close to what we have invested I and my wife would be gone like a shot.

• Like 2