Why do you continue to live in Thailand

4MyEgo

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Tradies are in big demand in Oz, and that's what I tell my wife's boys, be a carpenter, a sparky, but that comes with a risk (Thai kids), thicker than some ????

I don't accept the statement Thais are stupid. They are not, it's their education system which encourages it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You could be right, but I had had enough with my job (career), industry changing, too many onerous hoopla hoops to jump through, and was ready financuley.

It has been an enjoyable break these almost 5 years, but the heat might have something to do with your cranky, because it certainly gets under my skin ????

Actually I came to Thailand because of the heat, but that was originally to the beach on Samui. Even moved to Darwin from NSW after holidays here.

I understand about having had enough as I first retired at 52 after too many years of long hours, pressure, rules changing as you say. This is my fourth retirement, so you may have a couple more to go.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 1:09 PM, J Town said:

I have told this story numerous times (most likely every time this topic bubbles up from the sewer). Circa 2014, I got fed up with Thailand. Pulled up stakes, moved to Zijuatanejo, Mexico (remember "The Shawshank Redemption?"). I was back in 6 weeks with a renewed appreciation. I was reminded immediately why I left in the first place, trying to get internet hooked up, but considering the alternative, it was an acceptable compromise. Affordable housing, decent infrastructure, world class medical, wonderful food, and even in my 60's I am considered in certain circles a "handsome man" by girls I could only dream about back in the US.

Just out of interest, I would like to know why you preferred Thailand over Mexico...

11 minutes ago, asiasurfer said:

Just out of interest, I would like to know why you preferred Thailand over Mexico...

The only thing good about Mexico was the food. The rest that I posted, Mexico was the exact opposite.

• Like 1

I too came back to Sydney after living in Thailand a few years.

Most things food wise are cheaper here in Australia anyway...eg coffee,some fruits and vegetables,tin foods , my internet NBN is unlimted at $50 a month ,thats around 1,000 baht i guess,my electrcity 1 bedroom apartment in city around $100 -120 a month but i have Heater or Air Con on most times and computers going

When i retire i think its better to do 6 months each place,doubt i could live in Thailand full time.

Sydney is a great place,safe and clean,and probaly has more Thai people living here than some places in Thailand

im actually walking thru Hyde Park right now at 1am, i feel safe,police walking around ,Asian students going home,bike delivery drivers everywhere.

i feel safer here in Sydney than i do in Thailand where i was mugged by 3 guys on a motorbike in Chiang mai a few years ago

however i probaly wouldnt feel safe in another Australian State eg Melbourne 

Most doctors GP  free to see under Govt bulk billing,free public hospital, etc

Even i work full time my doctor is free to see for a visit under govt medicare

however the dentists here in Australia charge a arm and leg so theres a downside

the fact you sold your house in Sydney has me concerned ,although house prices are going down now.

You could probaly buy your house back cheaper than you sold it for.

I do plan eventually to retire to Thailand but prefer 6 months there and 6 months in Sydney

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

For the record, public health cover in Australia (Medicare) when I left was 2% on top of your taxable income, however if you don't work, you are covered for free, so that's a plus for me, therefore saving about 120,000 baht annually and increasing with age ????

I prefered to make an early decision to exit here, e.g. within 5 years so as not to be in too deep when I go back, I have still been paying my annual registration fee to keep my license alive for work, and have been doing consultancy work for existing clients when the occasion arises and new customers, and I have stayed in the loop with the market, suffice to say, if I ever wanted to go back into that field that I was in for 25 year before I left in 2015, doors would open for me and I could earn a good crust, but as I retired 5 years ago, I haven't forgotten how hard one has to work to make that money, so I can't see myself returning to work, but will continue to do the odd consultancy work and dabble in the share market, even with its up and downs, it's a good return, albeit your capital gets reduced, but if they are blue chip stocks, and you don't require the funds, your fine, that said I am not ALL in, I have funds in the bank for emergencies, so I guess my planning has worked, e.g. keeping one foot still in the boat when it landed on the shores of Thailand.

I prefer to watch the news listen to TVF gossip, because it provides me with what is really happening out there as opposed to me having my head in the sand in out castle do to speak, it's reality.

Sure the house I built here was always for the wife, e.g. if I carked it, she has a fall back position, and the way I see it, being together for 13 years, the 2 million plus, say 3 million baht invested in her as an all up outlay for furnishing, extensions, a/c's, on the house, comes to around 20,000 baht a month or $1,000 a month AUS over those 13 years, so it's not a loss to me, it's an investment for her, suffice to say a small outlay for me. If she ever kicked me out, it would be her biggest loss $'s in the future, the oh mighty (will), and as she always says, if you leave me, I follow you ????

With respect, you are in too deep, 22 years, s-h-i-t if I left it that long and didn't keep my registration for my license going and doing some consultation work, it would be a totally different world and getting a job would be pretty grim, 67 is still young, I am approaching 60 and don't look it or feel it, and am looking forward to making some further coin in 7 years when I apply for the pension, why not, as long as I keep my assets under the threshold, I am entitled to it.

There will be a couple of things I will miss when I depart Thailand, the first will be the house, 6 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 320m2 all up on a 1,000m2 block, if I was to build the same place in Sydney, I would need around 60,000 baht per square metre or 20,000,000 baht, add on top of that another 20,000,000 baht for the land which would be half the size of the land here. So renting when back in Sydney will be the way to go, until I find an opportunity if the market drops, as it is pretty much in the same position when I sold in mid 2016. The other thing I will miss is the pretty young ladies, but I can do without both, and last but not least, being away from neighbours, at the moment we have a river opposite us, no neighbours behind us, and the neighbours either side of us are at least 20 metres away from us on one side and a 100 metres the other.

So I know what I am giving up, but Thailand isn't doing it for me, so why kid myself, the sails are set, just got to wait for the wind to pick up so to speak ????

House prices are dropping in Sydney ,but the great thing is that the State govt announced last week that Stamp duty tax  is going.

As for pension go for it ,but im told you must live in Australia 2 years before applying.

• Like 1

My guess is for retirees it is cost reasons why they stay...

for others, family obligations And family life keep them here...

and For the last group, just too far gone/wasted to reorient into returning home or another non 3rd world country...they will stumble into cambodia or Vietnam...

• Like 1

As a single, self-refunded retiree who owns a car and likes the company of happy, friendly attractive females, year-round swimming and to travel around continually staying at nice hotels, there’s no place better than Thailand. 

I have a residence in Sydney and go back there each year with the intention of staying 2 months but after just 2 weeks (of catching up with friends and relatives) I’ve always had enough and eagerly return to amazing Thailand. 

90 day reports take about 15 minutes and yearly extensions about an hour. How is that a problem when you’re retired and have all day, every day to do as you please?

Food, accommodation and FOOT massages are 10 times cheaper in Thailand than in Sydney. 

Good luck back there OP. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't accept the statement Thais are stupid. They are not, it's their education system which encourages it.

Hang on a second, I didn't say Thais are stupid, (thicker than sum), e.g. slower up top, but will agree with you 100% that the education system encourages it, hence the reason we want them educated back in Oz, they can swim or drown, no floating on your back in Oz, only the tough survive, the others, well there is the government to lean on, here they have nothing to fall back on, but I will be doing my best to guide all of them, just hope they appreciate the opportunity, if they let me down, well, at least I tried.

21 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I understand about having had enough as I first retired at 52 after too many years of long hours, pressure, rules changing as you say. This is my fourth retirement, so you may have a couple more to go.

No way, I suppose when I say I retired at 55, that was from working for the man.

I have still been active here doing consultancy work, not a lot, maybe 4 jobs a month on average, or around 30k baht a month which helps with the drinks on bar nights ????

Trading in stocks has also kept me a little busy, but I am mostly retired, so retirement for me, is well I suppose semi-retired, I mean I can't just sit, if I am not making a coin somehow, I feel I am not pulling my weight, besides, it's better to earn than to live off of ones savings, that said, what I came here with, rephrase that, what I have in Oz, is the same as when I left Oz, so like I said, earning something stops me dipping into my savings.

I suppose retirement will be when I am 6ft under ????

19 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

House prices are dropping in Sydney ,but the great thing is that the State govt announced last week that Stamp duty tax  is going.

As for pension go for it ,but im told you must live in Australia 2 years before applying.

I have always had a keep eye for property in Sydney since the 80's, and yes you are right it is on its way down, that said, I have heard about the talk on dropping stamp duty charges, and can only say this, if they do that, ALL property owners which pay an annual tax, call it what you want, a land tax or something like that, and it would be worked out on the value of the land value annually, so for example, if they apply a 0.25% would be up for $2,500 a year for a land tax charge, council rates are assessed in a similar way, i.e. off of the land value annually, they then apply a budget for their area and multiply that annual land value by a percentage and then you get your annual council rates figure.

So what I am saying is, nothing is for free, they will take it away with one hand, and then make EVERYONE pay with the other hand, this will p-i-s-s off a lot of people, but it will free up the market, e.g. the elderly will downsize because they don't have to pay stamp duty, the younger ones will get into the market quicker as they won't have to save for the stamp duty, and then you will have the others upgrading, so a bit of a win for all buying property, but EVERYONE will be paying for it annually with the land tax charge, which won't go away, regardless if someone sits on their property for 50 years and decides they will die there, so it won't be popular with them.

It's a possibility I will sit on it till they do, because there might be an increase in values at first when they do remove the stamp duty charges, if they do, then it would settle down after the rush, that's my take on it anyway, watch this space ????

As for the pension, yes well 7 years to go, i.e. if it's still around by then, they might even change ages again, 1st it was 60, then 65, then 67 and then 70, the latter two depending on when you were born, but if it stays the same, I will get it as I will have been in Oz at least two years prior to getting the OAP.  

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I suppose retirement will be when I am 6ft under

Some people are like that. My last retirement was because I could not handle the responsibility any more. The country life helps even though it is physical work but the few beers at the end of the day helps to put the brain in neutral for a couple of hours.

• Like 1

I never understood why people sell their house in their country of origin before moving to Thailand. Never sell!! You basically cut yourself off from returning if something goes wrong in Thailand unless you start by paying rent again (and that sucks big time). 

Put it up on booking.com / airbnb but never sell! Pay someone to have care of it while you're gone and it could be your small bussines. 

You should never trust Thailand that much. I worked there for 3 years , I learned enough to not have trust. Mainly because they don't trust me. Never ever do business with entities where trust is not mutual. Politically and economically. I mean what is more to say for a country that doesn't allow you to own the land you're staying on. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Some people are like that. My last retirement was because I could not handle the responsibility any more. The country life helps even though it is physical work but the few beers at the end of the day helps to put the brain in neutral for a couple of hours.

Country life helps, yes, but the smoke is horrible, we are in June, burning season has long gone, but te farmers/villagers still burn, if it's not the fields, it's the tree branches/logs that they cut down, or the leaves they have accumulated, then there is the rubbish, it's as if they have to burn, burn, burn, a kind of security for them, make the snakes go away, the mosquitos and the bugs go away, FMD !

Physical work, r u serious, had to come inside from having our morning breakfast outside this morning at 7.30am, sweat pouring off of our faces, the humidity is right up there, won't be long before the a/c's go on around midday, if your into physical work and sweating like there is no tomorrow, go for it, I will wait till m treadmill service is completed, that usually puts the brain cells into neutral for me after a good 45 minutes on it (indoors) ????

On 6/10/2020 at 1:23 PM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Why does any man do anything? P....Women.

I was in Thailand mainly because it was fun, relatively inexpensive, good quality lifestyle if you have money. It was basically a perpetual vacation and I could go out (almost) every night and get laid whenever I wanted to.

I did however decide to move on this year. Too many immigration headaches, and Bangkok is severely overpriced when it comes down to nightlife. I could spend half as much for just the same somewhere else in Asia. The plan forward is to go back to my home country, get a good IT job, and visit SEA (not necessarily Thailand) occasionally. Congratulations immigration - your "come too mutt" policies worked - I won't come as much anymore. Idiots.

Sound like over 100+ people I used to know, including myself. I am the only one left behind as of a child, but not for long either.
Totally agree with you and think it is a solid plan. Nothing to miss out on in Thailand, figured it is even bad to live here long times as you start to underperform and accept certain morals and ethics, that you should not be accepting. Same with the lies and cheating behaviour.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 7:00 PM, Lacessit said:

Well wether you accept it or not, the majority of Thais is stupid. That there is a system encourages that or not, stands aside with natural intelligence.
It is so obvious that only a few million have normal brains, which is called average in western countries. Just open your eyes or learn Thai, you find out fast.

In reality, if this was not the case, we would most likely have seen change already in the past 10 years. I doubt they hit above IQ 80-90 levels average, no wonder I miss intellectual conversations and the like, with 40-50 points above average. Not bragging, actually think it is sad.

Just look at many International schools, even the parents pay up and there are proper teachers in certain schools, the majority of class still sucks.
Seen plenty of homework from teacher friends, at very very expensive schools. 18 year olds function as 13 year olds back home according to them.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 11:53 AM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I was in Thailand mainly because it was fun, relatively inexpensive, good quality lifestyle if you have money. It was basically a perpetual vacation and I could go out (almost) every night and get laid whenever I wanted to.

I did however decide to move on this year. Too many immigration headaches, and Bangkok is severely overpriced when it comes down to nightlife. I could spend half as much for just the same somewhere else in Asia. The plan forward is to go back to my home country, get a good IT job, and visit SEA (not necessarily Thailand) occasionally. Congratulations immigration - your "come too mutt" policies worked - I won't come as much anymore. Idiots.

TBO, don't you think the Thai immigration is doing a fine job and results are showing? Who or which country would want visitors with the requirements you have stated?

What the Thai immigration has done is to separate the wheat from the chaff. Bad luck to you and your followers, but Thailand is moving forward!

The oft mentioned, here at the TVF, 'classy tourists' will increase.

I won't come as much anymore. Idiots. - I am confused about whom you are referring to as IDIOTS... Albeit, it been so very obvious... very obvious.

????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/10/2020 at 2:04 PM, BritManToo said:

The UK police won't let me go back.

Are you a known statue remover ?. 

Fyi , Churchill has been boxed up ..

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 2

On 6/13/2020 at 9:10 PM, kimcancer said:

Because Thailand ROCKS! Hot babes, sun, fun, and tasty food and beer, chill people. 

Those were the days , before the  covid/flu ,  panic  era .

Wont see those days again , for a long time ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cost of living,sure beats housing cost in UK,give away prices now in Thailand,absolute bargain.  Yes ,cars cheaper UK,but everything else far more expensive,tax petrol repairs insurance...Food can be here ,but depends what is on menu  Medical I go to India,far and away cheaper and better than Thailand,quicker treatment timings too than UK,  Everything else   women   hired a cleaner last week 400 baht ,finished up at 1200 baht,those women know just what to do  tight short denim skirt,just goes on and on

Have considered Benidorm,the older quarter,cheaper accommodation(condo)  food /drink tho slightly up on Thailand's price   but just 2 hours away from UK  gives it more pull

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2020 at 10:39 PM, anon7854 said:

I never understood why people sell their house in their country of origin before moving to Thailand. Never sell!! You basically cut yourself off from returning if something goes wrong in Thailand unless you start by paying rent again (and that sucks big time). 

Put it up on booking.com / airbnb but never sell! Pay someone to have care of it while you're gone and it could be your small bussines. 

You should never trust Thailand that much. I worked there for 3 years , I learned enough to not have trust. Mainly because they don't trust me. Never ever do business with entities where trust is not mutual. Politically and economically. I mean what is more to say for a country that doesn't allow you to own the land you're staying on. 

Perhaps they never owned one. Judging by the way some posters here bleat over a few Bht.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 12:49 AM, georgegeorgia said:

however the dentists here in Australia charge a arm and leg so theres a downside

the fact you sold your house in Sydney has me concerned ,although house prices are going down now.

You could probaly buy your house back cheaper than you sold it for.

I do plan eventually to retire to Thailand but prefer 6 months there and 6 months in Sydney

I do believe the dental hospital in Sydney is free, but I wouldn't dare be brave enough to venture in as I have been seeing the same dentist for 32 years until he retired last year, although 2 of his partners are still there, and if the time comes and I need to visit them for a toothache, I will pay, besides, it's not often one sees a dentist. 

When you do decide to live overseas, you become a non-resident, and that is when the Australian government will bend you over if you keep your property, however if you do what you are planning to do, i.e. 6 months here, and 6 months there, if you won a property, you will be fine as you retain your residency, citizenship is a totally different issue, so don't be confused with the two.

An example of moving overseas and hanging onto your property in Oz would go like this, as of 1 July 2019, if you lease your property out and move overseas, when you eventually sell it, you will pay full capital gains tax, not from the day you leased it, but from the date you purchased it, in other words they moved the goal posts, (prior to 30 June 2019 you would only pay CGT from the time you leased it, to the time you sold it), but after 1 July 2019, you pay capital gains tax from the date you purchased it, an example would be if you purchased it in 1990 for a million and you leased it in 2018 and sold it in 2023, you would pay capital gains tax from 2018 to the time you sold it in 2023, you would pay capital gains tax from 1990, so if it sold for 3 million, you would literally pay $840,000 in CGT, however if it was sold prior to 1 July 2019 you would have paid $160,000 assuming the property had increased $500,000 from the time you leased it, e.g. in a year from the time you leased it. The Australian government has bent all who want to retire overseas who own a property back in Oz, well and truly over with this new piece of legislation, and some will get caught out, I was fortunate enough to warn one Oz expat who sold his place in time.

So I wouldn't be concerned about me selling my place back in 2016 because I smelled a rat in the pipeline having been in the property game for 25 years. I invested the money and pay zero tax here as a non resident so it works for me, however when I do return, if I see the market slump, I might buy back in as I will end up paying tax on my investments, can't have the cake and eat it as the saying goes, but if the timing is right and the property market takes off in 7-10 years, the money I make on the property when I sell it will once again be mine to invest where I like, if I move overseas and become a non resident, but to be honest, can't see myself going anywhere as I would be on the pension then, might holiday outside of Oz, but not planning that far ahead. 

When you do get over here and do your 6 months on and 6 months off, make sure you have some private health cover here, that's all I can advise.

On 6/13/2020 at 1:39 AM, anon7854 said:

Read my reply to another poster #237 above which will explain why I sold being an Australian, different tax rules for different countries.

As for returning and paying rent, well with 4 kids, the government will provide me with family support payments for the kids which will equal the rental amount paid, so you could say it's free accommodation for at least 8 years, I also have the option to buy back into the market as my funds have not gone down or up since I sold the property, although the property market is starting to head south so that will provide me with an opportunity to buy back in if I find a place I like and the government will continue paying me the family support for the kids as it's not asset tested, $31,200AUS is something you have to seriously think about, because if you can survive in Oz for what it costs to survive here, why would I want to be here ?

I needed to sell up to invest, pay no tax, receive funds to survive her and maintain the funds so as not to go down which was achieved, so the way I see it with the government paying for my accommodation, funds being the same as when I sold, I got a 5 year holiday here in Thailand paid for and with the market going south, provides me with an opportunity to buy back in again and still receive the family support.

Too easy ????

• Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 1:23 PM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Good for you and us. Less negativity too.

On 6/11/2020 at 7:00 PM, Lacessit said:

Your education made you feel superior I guess. At least they succeed in making you think that. Too bad Thais and thinking others don't see it. In the US I felt that I was wasting my time until I got to the University. I'm sure it's the same everywhere.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Your education made you feel superior I guess. At least they succeed in making you think that. Too bad Thais and thinking others don't see it. In the US I felt that I was wasting my time until I got to the University. I'm sure it's the same everywhere.

I felt I was wasting my time until I actually got to working for a living. IMO about 5% of what I learned during the tertiary part of my education was actually useful when I got to the coalface.

• Like 2